ReactOS kernel

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jonaspm

ReactOS kernel

Post by jonaspm »

ReactOS has plans to release the OS without GUI? i mean, the kernel only

will be possible to create a GUI like Metro with the ReactOS kernel?

i ask this because i like the way People and Companies use the Linux kernel to create Android,Ubuntu and many other OSs

SomeGuy

Re: ReactOS kernel

Post by SomeGuy »

jonaspm wrote:ReactOS has plans to release the OS without GUI? i mean, the kernel only
Where did you get that idea from?

Of course, take a look at the ReactOS 0.1.x versions. Totally CLI until you start a GUI mode application. :D

And sure, somebody could write a GUI shell that clones Metro for Win32/ReactOS, but nobody here is that retarded.

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

yeah, i hate Metro too, but for example, all Linux GUIs (shells) that right now exists
like Gnome,XFCE,KDE, etc.

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Metro is going to throw back MS for a few years. There is a huge generation 40+ that actually does not like "strange new computer stuff". They learned about computers 15 years ago, and they are fine with what they know. If you say "serious computer usage" starts at 12-13 nowadays, then that is pretty much 50% of their userbase who will send Metro to hell, regardless of how some hipsters try to push it. Oh, by the by, this is precisely the generation, too, that controls corporate environments.

ReactOS, in the meantime, should, in my opinion, focus - focus on releasing something "marketable", let's say like Linux anno 2004. (I do not even think they are far away.) Time is running, there is no Beta yet...

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Well, the subject wasnt Metro, i just used it as an example, because in some future, i will use ReactOS to make something new (probably, not sure yet) but with my own shell

P.S its a far away idea

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

If the necessary abilities to contribute ARE actually at your disposal - why do you not aid ReactOS development NOW, rather than waiting for a moment to ... steal it? The people here all support ReactOS - not ImitationOS.

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Aeneas wrote:If the necessary abilities to contribute ARE actually at your disposal - why do you not aid ReactOS development NOW, rather than waiting for a moment to ... steal it? The people here all support ReactOS - not ImitationOS.
Because currently i dont know anything about programming, im just a student who would like to learn C and other programming languages, of course i have planned to help ReactOS but currently im only a common user

X512

Post by X512 »

I think that ReactOS kernel should be a separate project. This will increase development speed and stability of system.

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

X512 wrote:I think that ReactOS kernel should be a separate project. This will increase development speed and stability of system.
It is sort of already like that. Most of the user level stuff comes from Wine.

Since we are talking about desktop shells, any new shell would be a separate project.

X512

Post by X512 »

SomeGuy wrote:It is sort of already like that. Most of the user level stuff comes from Wine.
This is not correct. ReactOS has very buggy kernel-space win32 subsystem(win32k.sys) that implements GUI, that does not come from Wine. It blocks kernel development.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We also have a very convoluted and buggy memory management component in the kernel that blocks win32 subsystem development.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

X512 wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:It is sort of already like that. Most of the user level stuff comes from Wine.
This is not correct. ReactOS has very buggy kernel-space win32 subsystem(win32k.sys) that implements GUI, that does not come from Wine. It blocks kernel development.
win32k was from wine in the past. But now its fairly different.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.