Ros&Raspberry Pi

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: Ros&Raspberry Pi

Post by Webunny »

Yuntian Zhang wrote:
Webunny wrote:
hbelusca wrote:And since then, no news. Priorities are in fixing the Memory Manager (amongst others).

And? Any progress made since then?
Please check this out: https://code.google.com/p/reactos/

Those are different people than ReactOS Portable Systems Group. The guy in those threads (http://www.reactos.org/pipermail/ros-de ... 15906.html http://www.reactos.org/pipermail/ros-de ... 15969.html) are the leader of the project. You can help them to speed up this process.
The two last links don't work.
oldman

Post by oldman »

All three links work for me, the last two links take you to the ros-dev mailing list archive.
If they are still not working for you, then go to the ros-dev mailing list and look in January 2013. The thread was started by J. C. Jones and the thread title is " ReactOS On ARM/Raspberry Pi ".
Hope that helps.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

oldman wrote:All three links work for me, the last two links take you to the ros-dev mailing list archive.
If they are still not working for you, then go to the ros-dev mailing list and look in January 2013. The thread was started by J. C. Jones and the thread title is " ReactOS On ARM/Raspberry Pi ".
Hope that helps.
Nope, they work for me too now. I've noted before a certain instability in (some) parts of the website and related sites (some of the time).
oldman

Post by oldman »

I have just remembered that they were doing a server up-grade yesterday (Saturday 23rd Nov). This may have been the reason why, when you tried to follow the links, they were dead!
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

is Timo working the last few days to making the ARM3 portable (fixing the MM to be portable for ARM ?!) or am i wrong...

one example:
"- Use MI_IS_MAPPED_PTE instead of unportable bit fiddling
- Use MiDecrementPageTableReferences instead of manually messing with MmWorkingSetList, which is not portable
- Make MmGetPhysicalAddress portable"

so he is making the functions portable in order to port it to ARM easier ?

if you look at the problems:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/ARM_Port#Pa ... Path_Fixes

it's exactly it
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

ARM3 stands for Another Rewrite of the Memory Manager Module(?).
It has nothing to do with arm Plattform.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Timo's focus on portability has always been with x64 in mind.
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

jimtabor wrote:Hi,
I have four Raspberry Pi's with SD 32 GB cards just laying around in my lab, still in the box.... So using Linux/Fedora/Slackware, how does one go about building ReactOS for ARM? Where to download tools, etc? How to load the SD cards? Just a basic how to for ReactOS developers.....
I'd love to help you here, but I didn't have success with compiling RosBE-2.1 on my ArchLinux machine as my packages are too new for compiling binutils... (which have various errors when generating the documentation which are fixed in newer versions of binutils)

While I don't yet know how to setup an ARM build for RosBE-2.1 Unix it seems however that some ARM related cmake files are missing (they weren't converted from rbuild it seems). Most notably this is reactos/boot/armlib. Additionally I don't even know in how far the ARM addon for RosBE-2.1 Windows would be working as I don't know the state of ARM support inside the cmake files in general...

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Question remains: how actively are people still working on this ROS arm port?
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Okay, like everything else, when I get to it, I'll hack a RosBE_ARM, don't hold your breath....
Yuntian Zhang

Post by Yuntian Zhang »

jimtabor wrote:Okay, like everything else, when I get to it, I'll hack a RosBE_ARM, don't hold your breath....
RosBE-ARM is rely on CeGCC, which stopped at GCC 4.4.0 and there is no clue that MinGW-ARM will be released any time soon or later. Your best choice for now is to use VS 2012(we have some problems with 2013).
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

Webunny wrote:Question remains: how actively are people still working on this ROS arm port?
you can follow it here:
https://code.google.com/p/reactos/source/list