Ros&Raspberry Pi

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: Ros&Raspberry Pi

Post by Webunny »

Any news on this front? I've purchased a raspberry to tinker with a while ago, and while raspbian, openelec and all that is all very good and dandy, I still would like to try Ros on it. Is *anyone* working on this arm port? Or is it more like..abandonware? ;-)
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

And since then, no news. Priorities are in fixing the Memory Manager (amongst others).
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

hbelusca wrote:And since then, no news. Priorities are in fixing the Memory Manager (amongst others).

And? Any progress made since then?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Sure, but not for the ARM Port. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Sure, but not for the ARM Port. ^^
Lol. So I gather. ;-)

But it was in regard to the ARM port, indeed.

I know it's not a priority of the current devs - which is normal - but who used to do it in earlier times? Seems to me the ARM port had some real progress for a while, and then stopped. Did the guy/group of people (I'm presuming it's not the current devs) working on it just quit?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nope, but they are busy right now. Anyway, they more fixed the current Kernel stuff which is/was way more important in that time.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Nope, but they are busy right now. Anyway, they more fixed the current Kernel stuff which is/was way more important in that time.
Certainly, and it's still more important now too, imho.

But I thought it were different person(s) working on the arm port or the classical ROS, but I guess not. As far as I remember, it was only the 'spark plugs' that were missing, so I thought it would be finished by now - as long as anyone was working on it.

But, as said, I agree that, if if it's the same devs, they have better things to do. (Still would be nifty to be able to run it on my raspberry, though ;-p )
THEBIGLL

Post by THEBIGLL »

I made it finally, I installed ReactOS in Qemu on the raspberry pi (512mb).
It takes "only" 5.40min to boot :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqy9ZknhvoM
oldman

Post by oldman »

Post by Webunny » 18 Nov 2013 17:07

But it was in regard to the ARM port, indeed.

I know it's not a priority of the current devs - which is normal - but who used to do it in earlier times? Seems to me the ARM port had some real progress for a while, and then stopped. Did the guy/group of people (I'm presuming it's not the current devs) working on it just quit?
What I remember is, they called themselves Ninjas and they wished to remain anonymous.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

THEBIGLL wrote:I made it finally, I installed ReactOS in Qemu on the raspberry pi (512mb).
It takes "only" 5.40min to boot :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqy9ZknhvoM

That...that was quite... something. I applaud your patience. Qemu, huh? Well, it's a start, I guess. Any ideas on how much of a performance hit it takes compared to something (ROS) that would run native?
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

EmuandCo wrote:Nope, but they are busy right now.
So they still are interested in ReactOS? :shock: Considering that I haven't seen any commit messages by them in the last months I hadn't thought that, but it's very nice to know they are still around :)

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

According to Liliputing, 2 million Raspberry Pi's have been sold (a little off topic but still a little bit related 8-) ).
http://liliputing.com/2013/11/lilbits-1 ... -sold.html
[ external image ]
That is a lot of Pi. :lol:
:ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Yuntian Zhang

Post by Yuntian Zhang »

Webunny wrote:
hbelusca wrote:And since then, no news. Priorities are in fixing the Memory Manager (amongst others).

And? Any progress made since then?
Please check this out: https://code.google.com/p/reactos/

Those are different people than ReactOS Portable Systems Group. The guy in those threads (http://www.reactos.org/pipermail/ros-de ... 15906.html http://www.reactos.org/pipermail/ros-de ... 15969.html) are the leader of the project. You can help them to speed up this process.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Hi,
I have four Raspberry Pi's with SD 32 GB cards just laying around in my lab, still in the box.... So using Linux/Fedora/Slackware, how does one go about building ReactOS for ARM? Where to download tools, etc? How to load the SD cards? Just a basic how to for ReactOS developers.....