Drivers for future hardware?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Zarr

Drivers for future hardware?

Post by Zarr » Sun May 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi folks,

As new versions of Windows are produced, and new hardware has drivers for the newer Windows, is it possible that the drivers for such new hardware will cease to work with ReactOS/WinXP? I thought I heard that MS changed the driver interface with Vista or something, that's why I ask.

Thanks.

Techno Mage

Re: Drivers for future hardware?

Post by Techno Mage » Tue May 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Eventually they will work, at this point its more likely windows 8 drivers will not work for some time.

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:20 pm

(Offtopic: at this point, it looks like MS is in for another flop with Windows 8... Breaking all traditions and forcing MOSTLY NON-IT customers to learn about which "Processor Architecture" is running on their tablet and why exactly their computer can no longer play DVDs... is not going to be very helpful to boost sales.)

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:50 pm

I would really like to hear more about any technical changes/improvements/worsening underneath the hood of Windows 8 than this Metro stuff that is going to punch everyone in the face like a 24-hour a day Rickroll.

At least I am assuming there are some technical changes.

Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:51 pm

For Windows 8, I'm looking forward to the unified USB3 driver, as well as allowing to boot from USB (used in Windows-to-go which is Windows installed on an usb flash disk).
Basicly a portable non-read-only ReactOS Live environment :mrgreen:
(and yes this is an enterprise-only feature but workarounds exist)

No idea what else to look forward to, not worked with Metro interface yet. Faster bootup times perhaps, or slightly lower system resource consumption.

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:40 am

I am looking forward to the adoption delay.

Seriously: ReactOS needs just a little more to be "ready for prime time". Beta stage would suffice. If MS would deliver a splendid OS (as it did with Win 7), that would be not so advantageous for our goals, as the pursuit in their development would become much more difficult. But the way it is, this project gets a bit of a chance to catch up - as it got with Vista already.