Firefox & Winamp Shots

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quvack

Firefox & Winamp Shots

Post by Quvack »

I was testing ReactOS last night, and decided to try Firefox (1.0.7) and Winamp (v5.111), as most of you know Firefox has been 'coming to life' in ReactOS over the past few weeks, and its starting to look good :) I didnt expect Winamp to work, however it loaded! It doesnt respond to the mouse very much, however you can access some things through the keyboard shortcuts, and doesnt play audio because of the lack of audio support in ReactOS yet, but its a start :P Even some of the 3d demo in the About screen works =) Btw, both programs were copied from the installs on my normal Windows install, I didnt try their normal installers.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

All taken with SVN revision 19168.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Thanks for showing us off some cool compatibility.

There is audio support in ROS, however directsound is rather incomplete, if even present in the install CDs at this point.

I know there were having even more luck with previous versions of Winamp (2.x and 3.x), you might want to see if sound works on those. (you need to install the sound blaster 128 drivers though for vmware i think)

It's also nice to see the UI working better in firefox.

Quvack

Post by Quvack »

No probs :)

Yup I was thinking that the directsound code wasnt complete enough to work but then again I didnt really try so much, I'll give it more of a try later.

I remember the 2.x/3.x builds working but this is the 1st time I've had a 5.x build working so I figured it was worth showing it to peoples on here!

Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

I remember over the summer, around August, I got Winamp 5.1 to install on a current (at the time) SVN build. However, there's some things, such as WMA support where the install routine does a separate unpack, at which point the installer froze. This can be worked around by disabling the components that the installer has to unpack separately, which takes a trial and error process. I dunno if this is a bug with NSIS on ReactOS or not. It may have been fixed since then, but I haven't gotten a chance to try it again since then.

Elledan

Post by Elledan »

In how far is Firefox functional?

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

I just tested out a nightly, but the networking was broken (for vmware at least), and firefox showed up a stupid black bar across the top. Oh well.

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

mikedep333 wrote:There is audio support in ROS, however directsound is rather incomplete, if even present in the install CDs at this point.
AFAIK it is the other way arround Sound support is very incomplete and might only work with a NT 4 driver. But the HEL (software) part of DirectSound could be importated form Wine and means that it is fully functional but maybe not as fast.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

yes DrFred is right it is more we are laking sound drv and some part of win nt 4 drv model, u can get some nt4 sound drv working in reactos. see reactos wiki.