Concurrent Multi-User?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeneas

Concurrent Multi-User?

Post by Aeneas »

Hi! While it is certainly not yet ReactOS' "time to get fancy", I was just curious:

Is it planned to give ReactOS the ability to support several users logged in at the same time? I.e. multi-user not in the crippled sense that you can log out and another person can log in AFTER you, but that you can have, in fact, two sessions running on the same machine in parallel (as would be possible on Linux or OpenVMS).

And should the answer be "yes", would that also be possible from the command line, too? I.e. so as having several users log in into one of these cool albeit ancient computers... ;)

Edit: I was just reading the following and got a bit confused, that's why I decided to ask:

http://www.coderanch.com/t/111209/Linux ... nvironment
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Concurrent Multi-User?

Post by Z98 »

It's fairly evident from looking at the first couple of posts those people have absolutely no bloody idea what they're talking about. The only one that demonstrated any knowledge on the subject matter in the first couple of posts was this Pat person.

The answer to your question is yes, ROS will support concurrent logins. As for over the command line, maybe, maybe not. It's mostly a question of how such functionality should be routed. Someone would have to demonstrate sufficient desire for such a feature to implement it.
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

It's called Windows MultiPoint Server. It allows you to run multiple monitors paired with keyboards and mice from a single computer. It was implemented in Server 2008 R2.

I would guess, since ReactOS is currently focusing on Server 2003, it will not be much of a priority until it's somewhat complete; however, the target for ReactOS has changed several times before, so that could possibly change. Also, if someone were to code it themselves in another branch, I'm confident they would integrate it into the main branch (so long as it was done well).

Here's a nice article and another
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Windows 2003 server is multi-user. It can handle many users connected via RDP all running different apps and doing different things independent of one another, just like Linux/Unix/VMS - except it's all GUI based. So in theory ReactOS should get there eventually.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

mrugiero

Re:

Post by mrugiero »

I don't think that's the discussed point.
There is another feature which is more relevant (at least for what I think the discussion is about, anyway), and present since Windows 2000, but I don't know it's name. It's that option to open a process as another user different from the one logged. At least, that's what is similar to the *nix feature, similar to sudo.
PurpleGurl

Re: Re:

Post by PurpleGurl »

mrugiero wrote:There is another feature which is more relevant (at least for what I think the discussion is about, anyway), and present since Windows 2000, but I don't know it's name. It's that option to open a process as another user different from the one logged. At least, that's what is similar to the *nix feature, similar to sudo.
Maybe "Run As..."
mrugiero

Re: Re:

Post by mrugiero »

PurpleGurl wrote:
mrugiero wrote:There is another feature which is more relevant (at least for what I think the discussion is about, anyway), and present since Windows 2000, but I don't know it's name. It's that option to open a process as another user different from the one logged. At least, that's what is similar to the *nix feature, similar to sudo.
Maybe "Run As..."
Yes :lol:
At least, that's the name in the context menu :p
But the technical name might be other, that's why I wasn't really sure.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

BrentNewland wrote:It's called Windows MultiPoint Server. It allows you to run multiple monitors paired with keyboards and mice from a single computer. It was implemented in Server 2008 R2.
We toyed with the idea back in 2009 and pushing it, managed to kicking one of developers out.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Crucially, ReactOS is missing session support, which is a monumental task.
Unfortunately, you won't be close to getting any multi user support until that's addressed.

p.s. I only commented on this because it was at 666 views. That's my good deed done for the day.