EPIC WIN!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MugenFighter

Re: EPIC WIN!

Post by MugenFighter »

Reziac wrote:DOS media player shouldn't require much RAM, and almost certainly not more than 16mb (the practical limit of DOS extenders of the day). But I've noticed that even for trivial tasks, ROS sometimes uses 100% of CPU and takes a long time to get past it, such as loading a file larger than about 32k into ROS-Notepad. What does ROS Task Manager say about this player's CPU use? I'll bet it's spiking at 100%.
Yeah, as soon as the interface popped up it got to 100%. One of the problems with using an alpha Operating System, I guess.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

MugenFighter wrote:Yeah, as soon as the interface popped up it got to 100%. One of the problems with using an alpha Operating System, I guess.
ROS feels so slick otherwise, it always surprises me when it does that. Oh well, one of the many improvements yet to come.
DopefishJustin

Post by DopefishJustin »

MugenFighter wrote:QV Pro 2.61 (a MS-DOS/FreeDOS media player) starts up and attempted to play a video, but the result was that it skipped almost all frames and took a couple of seconds to update the frame. Basically a normal video ended up looking like a slide show of random frames. Minor win I guess.

Edit: It might have something to do with the memory of the virtual machine I was using, but I don't know.
This is because ReactOS runs DOS applications on an emulated CPU core, rather than natively on the host CPU, and emulation has a lot of processor overhead. (Running it inside a VM is even slower, an emulator within an emulator.) For the vast majority of old DOS programs this is totally fine because they need hardly any CPU power, but a program like QV that does realtime video decoding is more demanding. The advantage of this approach is that it will work equally well when ROS supports 64-bit or ARM CPUs in the future, whereas Windows has had to drop DOS support in 64-bit versions. There are plans to make the CPU emulation faster as well, the focus has been on making it work correctly first.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

DopefishJustin wrote:This is because ReactOS runs DOS applications on an emulated CPU core, rather than natively on the host CPU, and emulation has a lot of processor overhead. (Running it inside a VM is even slower, an emulator within an emulator.) For the vast majority of old DOS programs this is totally fine because they need hardly any CPU power, but a program like QV that does realtime video decoding is more demanding. The advantage of this approach is that it will work equally well when ROS supports 64-bit or ARM CPUs in the future, whereas Windows has had to drop DOS support in 64-bit versions. There are plans to make the CPU emulation faster as well, the focus has been on making it work correctly first.
Thanks for the info.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
ayamiooruri29

Post by ayamiooruri29 »

Remote Desktop Connection Build 7268
First Remote Desktop Connection posted in 2015-12 (3790.4524), Second RDC (Windows 7 Beta Build 7000) and finally, it's RDC Build 7268 working on ReactOS!
[ external image ]
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Well, does it actually work, aka. connect to remote Windows clients and can show their desktops remotely?
ayamiooruri29

Post by ayamiooruri29 »

hbelusca wrote:Well, does it actually work, aka. connect to remote Windows clients and can show their desktops remotely?
Here
[ external image ]

EDIT: Partial Epic Win.
milon

Post by milon »

ayamiooruri29 wrote:...EDIT: Partial Epic Win.
What's Partial about that? It looks pretty Epic and non-failing to me. ;)
ayamiooruri29

Post by ayamiooruri29 »

milon wrote:
ayamiooruri29 wrote:...EDIT: Partial Epic Win.
What's Partial about that? It looks pretty Epic and non-failing to me. ;)
It seems because of Left or Right Clicking does not work, so it is partial epic win only.
LuxenDM

Post by LuxenDM »

While using remote desktop to do something beyond monitering a remote client running software may be difficult (do mouse keys pass through?), often when I try helping others with problems on their pc ill just open some way to view their pc's desktop and instruct them on how to do it themselves. Helps them actually learn how to fix broken things, and realise computers arent that scary.

I'll consider this a win for ROS, even feature-incomplete as it is.
ayamiooruri29

Post by ayamiooruri29 »

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood on ReactOS
[ external image ]
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

QTWeb Browser:
http://www.qtweb.net/

http://www.qtweb.net/download.html

scroll down up to:
Windows stand-alone portable executable: QtWeb.exe (7.5 MB)

[ external image ]
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

ayamiooruri29 wrote:Castlevania: Rondo of Blood on ReactOS
[ external image ]
Compatible but not tasteful.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
manuel

Post by manuel »

Blackcrack wrote:QTWeb Browser:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

manuel wrote:
Blackcrack wrote:QTWeb Browser:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
7mb, damn small, one exe file as helper for the at moment RosExplorer and
i can it include in my Ros-test-pack who i create ever at home.. [ external image ] :mrgreen: