EPIC WIN!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DOSGuy

Re: EPIC WIN!

Post by DOSGuy »

oldman wrote:Shift - Print Scrn on my keyboard, or Paste or Paste From in Paint does not work. Am I doing something wrong?
Shift+Print Screen = System Request. In Windows, Print Screen captures the entire desktop and Alt+Print Screen captures the application that has focus. I'm not able to get either to work in ReactOS 0.3.16 at the moment, but that's how it's supposed to work.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

If you are running ReactOS in a Virtual Machine, follow these steps:
1) Place the Virtual Machine in the middle of the screen.
2)Press The button or Combination of buttons which releases the control of the Virtual Machine. That way the control will be in your Host OS.
3)Press PRINT SCREEN. Since the control is now in your Host OS, you will be printing the whole screen.
4) ALT+TAB: Two things can happen.
---a) You see the ALT+TAB window of your Host OS. Cool. Go to Paint open a document and just CTRL+V.
---b) You see the ALT+TAB window inside of ReactOS. Bad. You didnt release(Step 2) properly the control of the Virtual Machine, hence the PRINT SCREEN was sent to ReactOS instead Your Host OS. Just retry step2.

ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

vicmarcal wrote:If you are running ReactOS in a Virtual Machine, follow these steps:
1) Place the Virtual Machine in the middle of the screen.
2)Press The button or Combination of buttons which releases the control of the Virtual Machine. That way the control will be in your Host OS.
3)Press PRINT SCREEN. Since the control is now in your Host OS, you will be printing the whole screen.
4) ALT+TAB: Two things can happen.
---a) You see the ALT+TAB window of your Host OS. Cool. Go to Paint open a document and just CTRL+V.
---b) You see the ALT+TAB window inside of ReactOS. Bad. You didnt release(Step 2) properly the control of the Virtual Machine, hence the PRINT SCREEN was sent to ReactOS instead Your Host OS. Just retry step2.
You're just making everyone's life a living hell :lol:
There is a very simple solution: Within the virtual machine one can click on options within the virtual machine software and select "screen capture". I know for sure that there is an option for it in VirtualBox and I'm pretty sure there is an option for it in VMware as well :)
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

The simplest (not necessarily the most effective) solution is to have some other window (say, the paint) opened in host next to the VirtualBox, then you just select the paint window and PrintScreen. No way of accidentally sending the key to ROS :) The solution with screengrab from VM context menu is even better, though.

Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Firefox has crashed twice on 0.3.16 so far in a recent VBox session but not ReactOS for once. :D
Stay frosty, Squeaks.

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

More a personal Win: My own game works on ReactOS

[ external image ]

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Heh gonzoMD! That's nice! Also, does your game go into full-screen mode? I'm curious to see whether ROS will show it correctly or not.

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

hbelusca wrote:Heh gonzoMD! That's nice! Also, does your game go into full-screen mode? I'm curious to see whether ROS will show it correctly or not.
I must try, the Windowed mode is hardcoded. I chose it because of most computers today have widescreen resolution that are much higher. (Well this piece of sh*t is in development for 10 years now but still at the very beginning)

EDIT: Nope, the screen goes blank and nothing happens.

Maybe I will try it with logging tomorrow...

jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Games on ReactOS like Steam~~~~

What is missing? We need stuff like, what wine has, to do that user32 hot patch thing'ie~...

HWND WINAPI DECLSPEC_HOTPATCH CreateWindowExA/W etc etc.........

Maybe Steam will load?!

So we need you to help us do this, study wine to see how to integrate this in ReactOS..... Open Jira report and upload a patch to be tested. In time we will have a nice gaming platform.... This will allow API watchers to hook in also.....

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

@jimtabor: o_O There are games which hotpatch user32 functions to be able to run ? WTF

EDIT1: Normally those kind of things is done with the /hotpatch and /FUNCTIONPADMIN commutators with MSVC compiler: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173507.aspx
And I don't know how it is done with GCC.
You may talk with Amine and / or Timo/Thomas/Alex to see whether we need to create hotpatchables dlls (and exes?) in ReactOS

EDIT2: Some bits of my quick search about the subject:
- GCC has ms_hook_prologue attribute for hotpatchable functions.
- Looks like MSVC generates that only at dll/exe level (i.e. all of the exported APIs become hotpatchable or not)
- Original wine patch for that: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2009-09/msg00606.html . It appears indeed that some (platform) games (Steam, ...) use this functionality to detour some of the functions. This hotpatch feature then must be supported not only for few user32 functions, but for all of the others.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Long time no screen... here's one from Caesar3, click for larger:

(More stuff here: https://reactos.org/wiki/Games_ROS_Testing )

[ external image ]

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

So, which has worse pathfinding, Caesar 3 or SimCity?

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

It's been 15-20 years since I last played SimCity, but Caesar seems good enough in its non-interactive figures moving. I picked only the peaceful missions so far, so I don't know if the army works differently.
Or if this is a joke, I don't have the knowledge to get it yet :)
The opensource remake is a bit weaker in comparison, but it's mostly just polish it needs. I'll try it later on ROS too.

EDIT: The remake works as well, no ROS-related issues! :-)

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The engine that ran Caesar didn't really have any genuine pathfinding. When a character reached an intersection, it would kind of randomly pick a path. This made it absolute hell trying to keep factories and markets properly supplied/stocked if you did not lay out the city's road system in a way that avoided intersections.

As for SimCity's pathfinding issues, well, let's just say the reboot of SimCity launched last year had, issues.