Videolan - Standard in ReactOS???

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jo-the-ripper

Videolan - Standard in ReactOS???

Post by jo-the-ripper »

Hi!

I think if VLC become to be an part of ReactOS, its need some more futures. A more handily Playlist with a database like Winamp! A comfortabler surface like MS-Mediaplayer. If there someone who's can programming an VLC-ReactOS-Edition of the actually sourcecode, it's would be going a better way. I think the VLC-Team has other conceptions of the future of VLC. It's for professionel use...not for home-users. have someone an good idea??? Or is there already another port of VLC in work???
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Isnt there already a Win32 port of VLC? because if there is, that will work fine on ReactOS (in the future, DirectX etc isnt implemented). You dont need to port applications from Win32 -> ROS.
Alkali

Post by Alkali »

I believe he means we should make the win32 version of VLC look better and have better features.

Anyway, I do not think this is a priority as VLC works and reactos still needs work :wink:
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

VLC does have a decent playlist and interface, it's under the Skins 2 interface.

Regardless, by the time ReactOS actually implements directshow as VLC requires for video, I'm sure they'll have improved the playlist and interface. And furthermore, ReactOS aims to be compatible with as many media players as possible, such as Winamp. And furthermore, if they really are taking VLC in a bad direction, I'm sure someone will maintain a fork or patch.
tuft

Post by tuft »

VLC can use opengl for video rendering so it could work, have anyone tried that?

I thing only disadvantage of vlc is that it can't load native codecs, so you cant play real video for example. There is already port of MPlayer for windows, IMHO It would be better choice.
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

Please, NO Vlc in ReactOS.
I think the developper should better develop a new app, ReactOS Media Player, which just features the same things than WMP.
forart

Post by forart »

GaeTaN wrote:I think the developper should better develop a new app, ReactOS Media Player, which just features the same things than WMP.
:) :D :lol:

Media Player Classic
ffdshow

Anyway i think VLC should be mutch lightweight for the system (it don't install any codec), so is not so bad option.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

Yep, something like that...
But I'm not sure VLC is really eyecatchy...
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Developers aren't developing, or including 3rd party applications.
This is what the package manager will be for.
Jaix
Moderator Team

VLC!!!

Post by Jaix »

Well, just so you know, VLC is one of the most radical ideas about a mediaplayer that exists. It maybe doesn't look the best, but it is!
The server part is just amazing to be able to stream video to the LAM or internet is really cool and decerves gratidude beyond any MP.
VLC is a very good choice, read about what it can do and you'll be amazed, test it and you are hooked!
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

I prefer Media Player Classic though.. :P
florian

Post by florian »

I have VLC as well as media player classic (mpc) installed but most of the time I am using VLC. Only sometimes I am using MPC for realplayer- or quicktime files.
The GUI of VLC is good enough in my opinion and the abilities of this player are amazing - it is famous for playing "unplayable" files and others are just showing an error message.
So it would be a good choice to choose VLC but also MPC especially because I would prefer if developers are concentrating their efforts first in stability and compability and not in creating a new videoplayer.
Additionally I don`t think that a videoplayer necessarily needs a handily Playlist with a database like Winamp which is more an audioplayer.

But as long as we can easily uninstall default applications in order to choose personal favourites (e.g. VLC, MPC, Zoom player or BSplayer, ...), everything is fine.
Last edited by florian on Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

florian wrote:I have VLC as well as media player classic (mpc) installed but most of the time I am using VLC. Only sometimes I am using MPC for realplayer- or quicktime files.
The GUI of VLC is good enough in my opinion and the abilities of this player are amazing - it is famous for playing "unplayable" files and others are just showing an error message.
So it would be a good choice to choose VLC but also MPC especially because I would prefer if developers are concentrating their efforts first in stability and compability and not in creating a new videoplayer.
Additionally I don`t think that a videoplayer necessarily needs a handily Playlist with a database like Winamp which is more an audioplayer.

But as long as we can easily deinstall default applications in order to choose personal favourites (e.g. VLC, MPC, Zoom player or BSplayer, ...), everything is fine.
I too have both MPC and VLC. I use VLC for backup in the rare cases a file would not play with MPC. I prefer the gui of MPC, but I guess that might be because I'm so used with it.

And I agree that a video player doesn't really have to have playlists and that's for audio players.

Honestly I would prefer to see ROS with a limited number of basic applications. Sometimes with some linux distro's there is just too much choice which makes me crazy. I don't want to choose which simple text editor to use, I just want a basic one that works. Just an example...
florian

Post by florian »

First of all I noticed that I wrote deinstall instead of uninstall - that might be mistakable therefore I edited my previous post.
Honestly I would prefer to see ROS with a limited number of basic applications. Sometimes with some linux distro's there is just too much choice which makes me crazy.
No I didn`t thought of such an unattractive endless installation although it might be a supplementation for some people.
What is most important, is to avoid having a RO$ IE and other applications which you don`t use or want but almost can`t uninstall in an already running OS.
Ok, you can use xp antispy or its opensource alternative xpy and xplite or better nlite for WinXP but I don`t want to use them in ROS for ROS.
If you know what I mean.
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

We were having a discussion in the forums. For legal reasons surrounding mpeg4/divx, we can't just include MPlayer or VLC as they have their own codecs for this.