Reactos development progress :(

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alfanak.net

Reactos development progress :(

Post by alfanak.net »

:roll: :roll:
[ external image ]

i (we) hope 1.0.0 come soon ;)
The123king

Re: Reactos development progress :(

Post by The123king »

ReactOS uses an x.y.z versioning system, with X being the stable "release to public" version, y being the major version, and z being the minor version. If there isn't enough changes after, for example 0.3.9, the 9 is simply incremented to 10. Many projects use a similar versioning system (like Linux did before jumping to 3.x) and it makes much more sense from a software quality point of view than a decimal incremental system like you suggested.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Or like the new Firefox one....
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Until we get to 1.0, the version number is effectively meaningless and does not convey any more information than the SVN revision number, as far as I'm concerned.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Z98 wrote:Until we get to 1.0, the version number is effectively meaningless and does not convey any more information than the SVN revision number, as far as I'm concerned.
Right. A new version means new features and new apps working.Basically.
But iirc, 0.4 means pre-Beta and 0.5 means Beta.
There were some 0.4 milestones(USB, sound, networking,general compatibility) to be met. I really don't know if they are still valid to mark the jump to 0.4.
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

From my experience testing the trunk builds leading up to 0.3.14, ReactOS team has made great progress thus far. The difference between 3.13 and 3.14 is pretty big, although not enough to warrant 0.4 but they're getting there.
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
reactosfan11

Post by reactosfan11 »

I think it's funny how much time you put into making that image ;) ;)
TX ROS Fan. (current project - bank of america locations finder - MVC3, Razor, and IIS7.5 )
alfanak.net

Post by alfanak.net »

reactosfan11 wrote:I think it's funny how much time you put into making that image ;) ;)
it is very easy whene you use the right tool, and shutter is very good tool for this kind of work (i hope they make it available for reactos)
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

vicmarcal wrote:There were some 0.4 milestones(USB, sound, networking,general compatibility) to be met. I really don't know if they are still valid to mark the jump to 0.4.
Well... at least those you mentioned are more or less implemented now (though not necessarily in trunk like the USB work). So in that regard the milestones for 0.4 are reachable :D

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

PascalDragon wrote: Well... at least those you mentioned are more or less implemented now
Sven
Keep in mind that 0.4 is expected to be a real cool one, that means a lot of hours of debugging of current features. So it has to be "more" than "less" ;)
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I would support moving to 0.4 once Explorer New and USB support are added. ReactOS is starting to become a very usable operating system, in terms of features. We shouldn't move from alpha to beta until we're reasonably sure that ROS will probably not corrupt your data or render your computer unusable, so a ton of stability testing will be necessary before moving to 0.5. Once ROS is stable, has USB and can print documents, I would start to feel comfortable considering ReactOS as an operating system that you could use to do useful work.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

I would see fit going to 0.4 when explorer-new works and USB is merged into another 0.3.X release, and the rest of the time is 0.4 branching, testing, debugging, etc.

Not that this means that will actually happen, of course.

FlyingIsFun1217
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

DOSGuy wrote:I would support moving to 0.4 once Explorer New and USB support are added. ReactOS is starting to become a very usable operating system, in terms of features. We shouldn't move from alpha to beta until we're reasonably sure that ROS will probably not corrupt your data or render your computer unusable, so a ton of stability testing will be necessary before moving to 0.5. Once ROS is stable, has USB and can print documents, I would start to feel comfortable considering ReactOS as an operating system that you could use to do useful work.
I'd add having at least ~75% drivers compatibility as a beta requirement. I mean, a beta is meant to be "sort of" usable, despiting the unusual (unusual to an everyday use OS) ammount of bugs. And that means you should support most hardware.