ReactOS Youtube videos

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SomeGuy

ReactOS Youtube videos

Post by SomeGuy »

I was thinking about perhaps, possibly, eventually, maybe, putting together some videos of ReactOS, and I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on how to go about doing that.

First, of all callouts vs. voice? I doubt people want to hear my voice, but I don't want to leave the video silent. I've seen some speech synthesizers used in some videos, are those any good? Are there any Free music tracks that won't risk getting censored by Youtube?

I would rather not just point a camera at a screen. Any suggestions on software to use? I did just discover Camstudio OSS, it is open source and version 2.0 runs perfectly under Windows as early as NT 3.51, and 95!!!!! And 2.0 seem just a hair away from being able to run under ReactOS! (Some problem with the codecs loading). Obviously it should work fine on XP to record ReactOS running in Virtualbox.

Which brings me to my next question: Which codec? The popular ones are mainly for motion video, so desktop images are very, very, very, lossy. Camstudio defaults to Microsoft Video 1 and also has it's own lossless codec, but VLC won't play those. Camstudio can also convert to a SWF file that Flash can play - but again not everyone has flash. If I upload it to Youtube it won't matter a hill of beans, but I would also like to be able to put it on my own site where it is not at the mercy of Youtube randomly inserting unwelcome advertisements.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
milon

Re: ReactOS Youtube videos

Post by milon »

I haven't really looked into video formats or recording software at all. But I do want to say:
DO THIS! =)

This is a great idea!
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

I have thought of doing a short video of 0.3.14 and comparing it to the present release. As for video formats, mp4, webm, or avi usually does the trick.
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

SomeGuy wrote:Are there any Free music tracks that won't risk getting censored by Youtube?

I would rather not just point a camera at a screen. Any suggestions on software to use?

Which brings me to my next question: Which codec?

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Hi!
The best place to find GPL music is http://www.jamendo.com/en/creativecommons
There are really nice pieces of music

I usually use Camtasia, it is not opensource, but it has really nice features(as Zooming and Autopanning, PIP, etc), transitions and really, really easy to use.
You can select the codec when rendering the project, and it uses the best combination of parameters. I even use Camtasia to change the codec of a video.

I think it's better to use captions+music than synthesiser voices. Captions+music helps deaf people. :)

My recommendations:
A viewer will be attracted just 1 minute.After the first minute they lose all the interest. So have this in mind.

ReactOS has an official youtube channel, so if you want we can add the video there too(giving you all the attribution, as we always do).
We promote all the videos done by the Community in our Twitter account, so share your Twitter details if you want to be @mentioned in the Twitt(if you don't want to provide this info, we will thank you without @)
wojo664

Post by wojo664 »

I recommend a XviD codec. It produces rather small files when decoding into. ;-)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

Actually, if you do upload to YouTube, the codec used DOES matter. Because they do encode everything, for the best results, you should upload the highest quality possible. Assuming you don't care about the large filesize, any compatible lossless codec is perfect for this.

Just remember, lossy -to-> lossy is considerably worse than lossless -to-> lossy. (it's the same reason re-saving a JPG as a JPG is usually detrimental to the image quality).