Torontron/Winnitron using ReactOS instead

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nitrofurano

Torontron/Winnitron using ReactOS instead

Post by nitrofurano »

I don't know if anyone here know something about arcade-machine indie projects like Torontron or Winnitron

- http://handeyesociety.com/torontron/
- http://winnitron.ca/

the issue is these indie arcade machines runs ms-windows - is someone about to try if machines like these can be built using ReactOS instead of ms-windows?
Pisarz

Re: Torontron/Winnitron using ReactOS instead

Post by Pisarz »

It highly depends from the hardware on which you're trying to put ROS instead of MS Windows and software which would be ran on it.

Just try it. If it won't work, you could put Windows back instead and wait for ROS to be "complete enough" to fulfill the task.
livestrong2109

Re: Torontron/Winnitron using ReactOS instead

Post by livestrong2109 »

You can try and do it with an old serial port controller but the issue with this project is that most MAME setups nowadays are highly relient on USB controllers. Most MAME emulators though should run on ROS without a problem though. I say go for it if you have the hardware and time, however there are full blown DVD based puppy and cent based linix distros dedicated to arcade boxes that would likely do a better job as they are custom build for MAME setups and have tons of Controler drivers and USB support. However like I said if your goal is to build something to suppoert the project then I say go ahead just know that your going to need to either A) use serial inputs. or B) Map a keyboard controler to your MAME controler.

ROS has limited USB support for keyboards so here is one solution from our friends at hackaday.com/2011/09/27/turn-your-wirel ... ontroller/...
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer