ReactOS as it is

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Floyd

Re: Not too many distros?

Post by Floyd »

jasorn wrote:Don't take this the wrong way but I'm not sure we're getting the point of FOSS. Once this thing gets to a suitable point, there will be as many 'distros' out there are people who have the time, desire, and skills to make one.
i don't have a problem with distros. i have a problem with a bazillion distros that seem to end up splintering the OS (choices are good, too many choices can be overwhelming though). you have so many discussions on which distro is "best" or "easiest", if the number of distros were kept down or otherwise controlled you could avoid confusion (and perhaps future incompatibilities)--or maybe allow distros but require an adherence to a core set of ReactOS standards (like for presentation, authentication--like an RFC database just for ROS).

it would be pointless to add code barriers as they would be removed, but if ReactOS 1 were to be released on a modified GPL or whatnot where people would still have the code open and free but if they wanted to make a "distro" they would have to acknowledge that it came from the ReactOS project and that it is NOT a distro of ReactOS that way you'd have the "official" tree and the "unofficial" forks.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia

GvG

Post by GvG »

Distro's are not an inherit part of FOSS, they seem to be mostly a Linux thing. Look at FreeBSD/OpenBSD, only a single distribution per BSD.

jasorn

Huh?

Post by jasorn »

Just a quick google...

1. DragonFly BSD
2. OpenBSD
3. FreeBSD
4. NetBSD
5. PC-BSD
6. PicoBSD
7. TrustedBSD

I think it's clear in this thread we're not talking so much a 'distro' proper but are using the term because there isn't one for windows. Considering this those above would fit the bill. Making the distinction that there is only one distro per BSD doesn't seem to be significant here. Does it matter that there are more distros based on other distros in the linux world?

I think what's more telling in why there are more flavors of linux than bsd is that more people took to linux for whatever reason so the base of users/people who wanted to make their own distros and maybe make some money at it is bigger. The distro 'explosion' is relatively new so I'm assuming it's the result of more people using it. Could it also be a license thing?

Here is a decent link from some of the BSD guys on the topic:
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3415&page=7

Anyway, my point really was that it's fine to ask people not to make a new distro but it flies in the face of FOSS to try to force it.

I understand the feeling though. I get it every time I buy a car or get a new cell phone. Why don't they just make one very good version of each so it wouldn't take me soo long to buy the right one? I know exactly which car and cell phone plan I want... the BEST one.

Of course with that attitude there would probably night be a linux, at all. And probably not a ReactOS either.

jasorn

Re: Not too many distros?

Post by jasorn »

Floyd wrote:
jasorn wrote:Don't take this the wrong way but I'm not sure we're getting the point of FOSS. Once this thing gets to a suitable point, there will be as many 'distros' out there are people who have the time, desire, and skills to make one.
i don't have a problem with distros. i have a problem with a bazillion distros that seem to end up splintering the OS (choices are good, too many choices can be overwhelming though). you have so many discussions on which distro is "best" or "easiest", if the number of distros were kept down or otherwise controlled you could avoid confusion (and perhaps future incompatibilities)--or maybe allow distros but require an adherence to a core set of ReactOS standards (like for presentation, authentication--like an RFC database just for ROS).

It would be pointless to add code barriers as they would be removed, but if ReactOS 1 were to be released on a modified GPL or whatnot where people would still have the code open and free but if they wanted to make a "distro" they would have to acknowledge that it came from the ReactOS project and that it is NOT a distro of ReactOS that way you'd have the "official" tree and the "unofficial" forks.
Linux has such a thing. I'm not an expert or anything but I did read "Just for Fun" :). Maybe some of the confusion is that it doesn't bundle the gui and other apps that people have come to consider part of an OS. ReactOS is bundling the gui so I think that will inherent limit it's 'flavors'. And even if there are more flavors if the guis and other things are the same it would feel more like an extension than a distro at least for a while. If you think about it distros are just extensions. But in linux they just have a smaller base to start from so there is more room for more things to be different.

There are tons and tons of debate over whether Linus' method is better than the BSD model, but for my money, it seems that the Linus way makes is easier for a faster moving playground than the BSD way.

Anyway, I'm just a dorf and there are many millions more qualified to speak on the topic.

Re: modified GPL...
I think I'd rather see fewer versions of FOSS licenses and more flavors of OSs than the other way around. :)

Lucractius

Post by Lucractius »

were on the gpl v2 right now arent we for this?

personaly i see the BSD approach as better, the licence isnt what causes the nature of the software its the approach to buildig the OS. Yes there are different BSD's but each is meant to be a complete OS on its own, not a Linux Kernel with GNU userland or whatever, its a BSD Kernel, and matching BSD userland.

Reactos will be like that most likely since its hard to just change so much this early on.

Id like to consider other licences myself since i have a personal problems with the GPL and what it means to my efforts as a programer. Im happy to be open source i just dislike the idea i cant profit off my code directly. (say a company wants to use it, GPL they can just take it and i get nothing but patches back.)

but licences aside its the architectural choies that will determine the degree of "splintering" kernel/userland integration and complexity along with the different directions that can be taken in the userland. see a good example is on your BSD's list. PC-BSD isnt a bsd in its own right its actualy a project designed at creating a workstation/desktop freindly "drop and go" installer for insalling FreeBSD, and a set of common Desktop software (its a KDE desktop incase your wondering). It keeps in step with FreeBSD releases and IS FreeBSD right down to the core. Pico-BSD is an ultraminimal bsd based on FreeBSD that seems to have hit a dead end and Trusted-BSD is also a parallel project to FreeBSD if memory serves me. Untill the (relatively) recent fork of DragonFly BSD off the 4.x FreeBSD codebase there were only 3 BSD based OSes, each with their own Kernel, and Userland. Now there are 4. Theyre not "Distros" REMEMBER THIS PLEASE ( its so frustrating when people keep calling them Distros, theyre Complete Separate OSes, that are very intercompatible in terms of userland software [note: i didnt say totaly intercompatible])
They Are Complete Operating Systems.

They are like this because they are designed like this. Each BSD project Builds their own kernel and userland. they make sure these parts work together as well as possible together, and they keep track of everything, FreeBSD IS a complete os in the opposite of the way people claim it should be called GNU/Linux because the Linux kernel gets used with the GNU userland.

A few projects have tride to use the kernel without the userland but i dont see much of them, and ive seen one project that builds over the FreeBSD base with other software but its still realy FreeBSD...

Where was i going with this... Oh well, some of it looks good :)

XaviarCraig

Post by XaviarCraig »

Its a pleasent sight to see that I am not the only one who is feeling on the bitter side with microsoft. Until a few months ago I thought I would be forever locked in microsoft's grasp. I have to admit i was getting depressed as I thought there was not a single glimpse of hope for me. Its projects like WINE and ReactOS that are the light in the darkness that seems to have shrouded the computer world. I Grew up on DOS so Gui's dont matter too much(compatibility is what I need the most though)

Adriantm2

Just...

Post by Adriantm2 »

i have only one think to say:(becouse i dont know english very well and i can't write more)

REACT OS PROJECT is the best.

unkemptwolf

Post by unkemptwolf »

I have to admit, I'm impressed. The project is coming along nicely (its going to become a permanent addion to my hard drive once 0.3 is released). This is excellent work, and I for one am thrilled that someone has the skills to be able to do this (since I most certainly do not). Keep up the good work guys, and know we are rooting for you.

P.S. If theres anything that us non-programmers can do (other than bug reports) let us know, I'd love to contribute!

GvG

Post by GvG »

unkemptwolf wrote:P.S. If theres anything that us non-programmers can do (other than bug reports) let us know, I'd love to contribute!
Thanks for the nice words :oops:
Please help spread the word. Tell your friends, post a blog, submit stories to newssites. We need to build a strong community and get ourselves on the radar of (potential) developers.

RomanH

Post by RomanH »

P.S. If theres anything that us non-programmers can do (other than bug reports) let us know, I'd love to contribute!
Does the JANITOR program still exist?
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/JANITOR

If so, I would like to join it. I had already sent Alex an email, but it seems it didn't get through... (that was about a month ago)
RomanH

TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

RomanH wrote:
Does the JANITOR program still exist?
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/JANITOR

If so, I would like to join it. I had already sent Alex an email, but it seems it didn't get through... (that was about a month ago)
Alex is a busy guy, it took him a while to get back to me. Try going on IRC most people hang out there

Floyd

Post by Floyd »

GvG wrote:
unkemptwolf wrote:P.S. If theres anything that us non-programmers can do (other than bug reports) let us know, I'd love to contribute!
Thanks for the nice words :oops:
Please help spread the word. Tell your friends, post a blog, submit stories to newssites. We need to build a strong community and get ourselves on the radar of (potential) developers.
well, once you guys get internet/internet interfaces, and i can use firefox, trillian and warcraft 3, quake2, and battle for wesnoth working, windows will be gone and i'll be using react
;-)

it's an awesome project!
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Floyd wrote:
well, once you guys get internet/internet interfaces, and i can use firefox
Firefox is almost there. I've been browsing with in in ROS for about an hour today.

Viator

Post by Viator »

Im glad firefox is working do you have flash and java working in it?
if i had working firefox with flash and java and gaim id give reactos a permanent partion. Keep on pushing! :)

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Accoridng the the pictures on the main page flash works, though it might only be for stand alone exec's. Java didnt finish installing 200 revisions ago, doubt it'll work now.