ReactOS as it is

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

auron

revolution

Post by auron » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:48 pm

Their inability to see past the superficial GUI is the genius and power of ReactOS. The team you have today deserves to take credit for their work on the core operating system. This is your chance to do it. This is your time.

The world will never "get" unix. this is hard for many unix users to understand. Depending on your point of view, it's like offering filet mignon to a vegetarian or picketing against red-meat outside of Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

But freedom is a fundamental human desire. What is driving the economic momentum that exists today regarding GNU/Linux is actually the vision of ReactOS. Now add the entire Microsoft C/C++ developer economy. People who make tremendous amounts of money writing custom code, doing the real work, but they are still indentured to Microsoft and its endless software tax and pseudo-programming initiatives. Complete transparancy makes all of those abuse tactics obsolete overnight.

But people cannot fathom a clean-room implementation of Windows is even possible. And those who can are silent because they are contemplating the implications of what you are doing.

The existence of ReactOS instantly aligns these interests and combines their economic potential. A shift in ideology will be made by both groups. For the majority of FOSS programmers, that the world has already chosen Microsoft Windows as the preferred operating system will have to be accepted. For independent Microsoft developers, that FOSS provides them with economic opportunities that allow them to shape their own future rather than blindly trusting Microsoft. Those shifts in ideology will take place because those of you with vision will lead the way. The moment ReactOS reaches PC makers/system integrators in any useful state (blue screen and all) it will change everything.

The genius is that ReactOS gives both groups, and subsequently the whole world, an open future. In both financial and personal reward, your work will prove to be revolutionary.

Ratteler

Post by Ratteler » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:17 pm

If I ever win the lottery, you can count on a healthy controbution to get this project done, as well as the next generation ReactOS64 that will be needed to trounce Vista.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Not to many distributions!

Post by Jaix » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:59 pm

I agree, the ROS is impressing!

And I agree, please not to many distributions!

The Package Manager could stop that, if there were possible to create some different standard selections in the Package Manager

one for servers
one for workstations
one for home pc:s
one for ...
and of course the ability of changing the selections.

so that i will be really easy and fast to install ROS as a complete computer, even reading a config file from a disk so we could have an unattended installation it would be very nice.

Then different distributions would only be needed for different hardware or major change in the computer functionality.

Xor

Post by Xor » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:18 am

well, being new to reactos (discovered it a few weeks back, despite it's long development cycle, yes I am slow :D ), I'm mighty impressed by what the developers have achieved sofar. also, I find the surge of descussions regarding exotic GUI environments rather odd, given that the obvious goal of reactos is to mimic the workings of windows. as far as gui goes, this would mean the even though not looking identical, the reactos gui should abide by the standard sizes of borders, buttons etc, in order to get things up and working/looking proper with as little hassle as possible.
the explorer shell, of course, is alot more flexible.

although I may not share some of the views here regarding reactos taking over the world :), I definately think it has very a bright future. the main factor here, as compared to other small os:es such as zeta/beos, skyos etc, is of course the fact that reactos will be able to use windows compatible 3rd party drivers and applications, the lack of which has always left up and coming operating systems in an extreme uphill battle. also, given that it is open source, it will likely be continously enhanced in terms of compability/stability/performance, even as a mature product, which will hopefully prevent users from outgrowing it.

again, massive respect and gratitude to the developers. who in what is essentially a spare-time project, has been able to keep a focused development despite not having the luxury of assigning a proper development cycle that defines what gets done when and by who. this in itself is an incredible achievement!

since I've since long learnt the virtue of patience, I'll look forward to replacing my (no longer supported) win2k with reactos! meanwhile, I'll be perusing the source code in the hope of grasping some of the inner workings, particularly memory/thread-handling, areas which have always interested me.

well met!

reub2000

Post by reub2000 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:14 am

whenever I run "svn up" I'm impressed by the fact that I see changes no matter how often I do it. I see many oss projects go days or even longer without any changes to the cvs or svn repository.

Microsoft obviously will try to counter reactos and wine. Maybe a radical change that would take years to reverse enginer and impiment in an open source software project. Maybe a lawsuit which reactos cannot afford to fight. Let's hope that microsoft tries to keep this a clean fight.

greg

Post by greg » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:44 pm

at its current point in time im seriously in love with react os and i agree on the whole not too many distros thing. one of the main things that kept me (and probly a bunch of others) away from linux is the sheer number of distros and the annoyances of not only having to learn a new operating system but having to deal with 200 seemingly similar ones to choose from.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:35 pm

I'll also agree, VERY limited number of distros.

I first descoverd reactos when it was a dos prompt that could run a very limetd set of gui applications, adn i am still looking today. keep up the good work.

Another advantage Recatos will have over linux is everything being built into the OS, not seperate config for one part that has to match the next part all configured from some text file.

GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:36 pm

Why distros ? We're not talking about Linux here :)
I think there should just be ONE ReactOS, as there is ONE Windows :)

Jaix
Moderator Team

Why distros???

Post by Jaix » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:35 pm

GaeTaN wrote:Why distros ? We're not talking about Linux here :)
I think there should just be ONE ReactOS, as there is ONE Windows :)
Well, I have one idea about this, picture a hardware vendor want to make a firewall, he starts by porting ReactOS to this processor and platform, and sets the Package Manager to just install software compiled for this platform. This should not be the same DISTRO as ReactOS, all software needs to be recompiled for a special hardware, and because of this it's not possible to use the same Package Manager but modified one to deliver software for the correct platform (Actually this could be the same PM but with different databases.). Or imagine someone wants to make a port for MAC, this could also suit as a DISTRO, but someone who want to pack some software on a DVD and make it autoinstall just simply make an installation script for the Package Manager and he got his own FLAVOUR of ReactOS. After this installation it is just to start the package manager and continue customize your own system.
What do you say about this idea?

GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:39 pm

Well I would say things must stay as easier as possible :)
For me, the best would be to distribute ReactOS like Windows is, so the whole OS, with an internet browser / media player, and that on one CD, like Windows ;)
And if ReactOS can work on other hardware than a PC, then, there should be one CD for using ROS on Mac for exemple, which has in it the same things than the CD for windows, except than this one works for Mac :)

Lucractius

Post by Lucractius » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:09 am

Jaix mentioned a Package manager... I... hesitantly... think that this could be good. Not from the perspective of some vast Linux esq type thing. But from the automated update point of view. How many windows apps are in source forge... ? (id check but its a rhetorical question :P) now we all know that the average user never updates, look at firefox, theyve added automated updates now to do it without user intervention to keep up to date and secure.

Not every program can go to this level of effort. So perhaps if the system kept track of updates it would be useful. (obviously it couldnt deal with all programs but even just a large number of important ones would be useful for stability/security) Ive seen gentoo's emerge get source code from sourceforge based projects that arent mirrored elsewhere so some kind of automated access is possible, if its only source then i suppose thats a problem, but otherwise its not and im sure there are other things like sourceforge that could be added to such a system.

System acting up? want to make sure its fully up to date incase theres been a bugfix since the last auto update? ... "c:\> fusion update world"
(i rather like the idea of calling a tool like this some Nuclear related word to match the way reactos sounds like reactor ;))

I may be getting ahead of things with the idea... but its a good one i think :) and as reactos gets towards 0.3.0 i belive weve already passed the point where reactos can be built on reactos so it wouldnt have to rely entierly on prebuilt updates which while good for the general updates arent as good for making sure everythings up to date with the very latest fixes ... why not begin the proccess of adding such automated update tools into it now... im curious what people think of the idea... having used Linux and FreeBSD this seems very natural to me but others may disagree and id like to hear their opinions on it :)

auron

heal thyself

Post by auron » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:48 pm

I may be getting ahead of things with the idea... but its a good one i think :) and as reactos gets towards 0.3.0 i belive weve already passed the point where reactos can be built on reactos so it wouldnt have to rely entierly on prebuilt updates
is this actually true? has anyone built reactos just via reactos?

frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:37 pm

Jaix wrote:And I agree, please not to many distributions!

The Package Manager could stop that, if there were possible to create some different standard selections in the Package Manager

one for servers
one for workstations
[...]
DrFred and I had exectly the same ideas that was one of the reasons why we started with the ReactOS Package Manager.
Jaix wrote:Well, I have one idea about this, picture a hardware vendor want to make a firewall, he starts by porting ReactOS to this processor and platform, and sets the Package Manager to just install software compiled for this platform. This should not be the same DISTRO as ReactOS, all software needs to be recompiled for a special hardware, and because of this it's not possible to use the same Package Manager but modified one to deliver software for the correct platform (Actually this could be the same PM but with different databases.). [...]
Why do you think it is not possible to use the same Package Manager (code)? Sure it's not possible to run a win32 exe (for x86) e.g. on a win2k (alpha computer) you need the app compiled for the alpha cpu, but it's generally the same code (maybe with small modifications). (e.g. putty is available for x86 and for alpha; both for win32 as exe files).

We won't need different databases, only one database with different tags stored for each entry. I am currently working on the ReactOS Support Database.
There will be different sections:
* Compatibility Database (application and driver compatibility)
* Package Database (online database for the ReactOS Package Manager, online interface to browse and add new packages or collect some favorite apps together and then click on a link and the ReactOS Package Manager will grab the special link from the clipboard and start the download and install process (in an automatic way).
* Developer Network (MSDN like library for ReactOS; a tree based wiki)
* Media Database (for ReactOS related media files)
auron wrote:is this actually true? has anyone built reactos just via reactos?
It's true! Furthermore it is also possible to run ReactOS in ReactOS (in QEMU).
Last edited by frik85 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ged
Developer

Re: heal thyself

Post by Ged » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:41 pm

auron wrote: is this actually true? has anyone built reactos just via reactos?
We've been able to build ReactOS in ReactOS since version 0.1.0

Ratteler

Post by Ratteler » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:39 am

You know what would increadibly cool, but probably almost uselss as the same time. A PowerPC version of ReactOS.

Kind of blashphamouse I know, but there are a lot of old Mac's out there doing basically nothing.