Substitute or clone?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

What ROS is (or will be) for you ?

CLONE
21%
SUBSTITUTE
61%
JUST A PROJECT
18%

Total votes: 33

forart

Substitute or clone?

Post by forart »

Due to recent discussions around the UI, some peoples consider ReactOS as a clone and some other as a substitute. What about you ?

from Dictionary.com/clone:
One that copies or closely resembles another, as in appearance or function: “filled with business-school clones in gray and blue suits” (Michael M. Thomas).

To produce a copy of; imitate closely: “The look has been cloned into cliché” (Cathleen McGuigan).
from Dictionary.com/substitute:
a person or thing that takes the place or function of another

capable of substituting in any of several positions on a team; "a utility infielder"

To replace (one or more elements or radicals in a compound) by other elements or radicals.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

GvG

Post by GvG »

Missing option: "WHO CARES"

Elledan

Post by Elledan »

ReactOS clones the functionality of Windows, making it a (partial) clone.

A substitute for Windows would be an OS which is capable of replacing Windows in an existing situation.

Ergo, at the moment ROS is a clone, but in the future it'll become both a clone and substitute :D

Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Missing option: "THIS POLL SUCKS" ;-)

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

Patchworks, what point are you trying to make?

Is it that you want to use a different type of GUI, even though incorporating it into ReactOS will deter many people who are used to the Windows GUI?

Is it that you're worried about the legal implications about cloning the Windows interface?

Are you just being pedantic on the wording of the About page?

mf
Developer

Post by mf »

I'll go along with GvG's missing "WHO CARES" option.

Milestone goal for 1.0: Be compatible with Windows NT flavours (read: CLONE, SUBSTITUTE)
Options after 1.0: Integrate subsystems, add optional functionality, become a true multiplatform OS (read: JUST A PROJECT)

And then there's still the option of distributions.
It compiles, let's ship it!

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Patchwork, I really wonder if you can get over not being in control (while doing nothing).

MadRat

Post by MadRat »

If ROS replaces the need for a SERVER version of Windows then I'll find all too many uses for it as a SUBSTITUTE. Even if its just a CLONE then it still beats $200 for XP Pro and more for all versions of Vista.
Go Huskers!

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

When will you understand that you will be free to use any shell you want when reactos will be in a more advanced stage?
Who cares about if it's a clone or not?
In the future, there will be surely many distros of reactos anyways...
:idea:

forart

Post by forart »

1st: sorry, but for me is important to understand if my contributes goes to a CLONE or to a SUBSTITUTE, 'cause I won't contribute to a CLONE.
2nd: if ROS is a SUBSTITUTE we can discuss about the GUI, 'cause i don't think that peoples needs a windows-like one.
3rd: if this pool sucks, please go away (or vote JUST A PROJECT). Thanks.
»Forward Agency NPO

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

then I don't think you have the idea of a substitute either. A substitiute is something that is to the end user the same results (for all, or nearly). Though it can be better, but not more work for the user.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

If you want my opinion here it is:
Reactos is (and will be) a substitute to windows.
But it will use a windows-style gui by default. (almost everybody and most devs seems to agree)

If users want another gui/shell they will be free to use it. But different shells/gui will be included in DISTROS not main project.

That's it.
It's not complicated.

forart

Post by forart »

cmoibenlepro wrote:That's it.
It's not complicated.
No, but simply i don't agree.

If ROS is a SUBSTITUTE it dosn't need necessarily the NTFS support, for example. And i don't understand why the GUI must be shitty like the windows one: it's obsolete ! Even MicroSoft don't use it by default in their last OSes.
»Forward Agency NPO

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Patchworks wrote: i don't understand why the GUI must be shitty like the windows one: it's obsolete ! Even MicroSoft don't use it by default in their last OSes.
Well start off a seperate project and go and design your own.

Quite frankly, these discussions are becomming annoying. The standard Windows look and feel _IS_ going to be default, and no amount of moaning is going to change that.

Plus, I'm sure you'll find that most people hate the default XP theme, and many set it back to the old theme.

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Patchworks wrote:
cmoibenlepro wrote:That's it.
It's not complicated.
No, but simply i don't agree.

If ROS is a SUBSTITUTE it dosn't need necessarily the NTFS support, for example. And i don't understand why the GUI must be shitty like the windows one: it's obsolete ! Even MicroSoft don't use it by default in their last OSes.
All they did was add some more blue with a touch of green. The rest is no different in class to luna.