Are there any plans on writing a official ide for .net languages?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shadowblitz16

Are there any plans on writing a official ide for .net languages?

Post by Shadowblitz16 »

Are there any plans on writing a official ide for .net languages once this os comes out of beta?
I think a rewrite of winforms and a ide to go along with it for C++, VB.net C# and F# would bring a lot of people over.
Not to mention .net 5 is going open source and cross platform.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Are there any plans on writing a official ide for .net languages?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

No. This project is about an open source operating system and not a general rewrite of all Microsoft products. Just because a product can run on windows does not make it an intrinsic part of Windows itself.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Note there are already plenty of alternatives editors that programmers can use but rewriting the whole IDE and environment? I think you underestimate the amount of work involved. It is a task that is probably the size of the the o/s itself.

There will be nothing stopping you from creating such a project and writing an open source version of Visual Studio in your spare time but these proposals are beyond the scope of ReactOS.

Re: .NET programs.The intention is that they will all run on ReactOS. VisualStudio will eventually run on ReactOS, earlier versions probably do already.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Shadowblitz16

Post by Shadowblitz16 »

well I wasn't talking about rewriting .net just an ide and possibly a gui framework that works with it.
I will look into writing a ide
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Thats what @dizt3mp3r was talking about too. There is no need to rewrite .net as there is Mono doing that. He meant recreating an IDE is a massive task we are not planning to do or think it's of any use at all. There are DOZENS of free IDEs for almost any language and we are no Linux ppl who are only happy if they can fork a fork of a fork to change the color of a symbol :P

But... feel free to tinker with it.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi i don't think there are many oss ides for .net there is MonoDevelop but you need to compile it your self and there was SharpDevelop but the last release was in 2016 there may be code editors but they tend not to have GUI builders
casanvar

Post by casanvar »

It's not a general rewrite of all Microsoft products.
run 3
Nasfrew

Post by Nasfrew »

casanvar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:44 am It's not a general rewrite of all Microsoft products.
waffle game
So what do you do?
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

Nasfrew wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:19 am
casanvar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:44 am It's not a general rewrite of all Microsoft products.
waffle game
So what do you do?
Rewrite ONLY ONE Microsoft product. You see the difference?
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.