The one killer app missing from React OS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: The one killer app missing from React OS

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Aeneas wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:02 pm I do not think you should say, "will take years", my dear dizt3mp3r. That would be unfairly rushing the project.
Years, definitely. Complete? Well, probably never. It will be usable for many, possibly sooner than you imagine but for specific tasks only.

As a multitasking, stable, beyond-beta operating system with no bugs and usable by anyone? Possibly never... but many will be able to use it despite that. This is not negative but realistic. No sarcasm needed.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

We all have "killer apps" that we believe would have a perfect home in ReactOS. So don't feel too bad that yours is not accepted as the best idea since sliced bread.

My personal favourite is VB6. That IDE, language, compiler, interpreter and debugger alongside XP were the perfect combination. I suggest ReactOS is the natural home for VB6.

Just because others don't feel the same way I don't feel aggrieved nor ignored.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

EmuandCo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:31 pm Do I smell some sarcasm here?
Sadly is not Sarcasm when it's the sad truth.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

I do not understand why Russia, i.e. Putin, does not even take a measly million in hand and donate it to Reactos.

Or Lukachenko from Belarus!
Or Victor Orban from Hungary!

Even 10 million would be a JOKE for his treasury ...

With that he could really "annoy" the whole West and the USA and would find respect with normal people because he really used money in the right place.

It could also be a billionaire doing that. There are so many billionaires out there and many don't know what to do with all their money.

With a donation to Reactos he could "upset the world" because several world powers would puff themselves over the fact that many people might soon be using a Windows clone whose control has "slipped". It is also about the further use of "old software" you can see here that Windows 11 only runs 64 bit software - only with the ulterior motive of "cutting off" good but "annoying" old software for the users ...

Perhaps one should write to a number of billionaires and explain to them how easily they "could go down in world history" and make their names unforgettable.
I think quite a few would jump on it. For them, money is just boring and boring. Power and a place in the history books, that's what they want ...

I think a mere 10 million would push the Reactos development process and the whole thing around it so that Windows will be replaced by Reactos for private users within a few years. Probably a million is enough ...

Just my opinion...
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Don't get me wrong, we as a FOSS project are neutral regarding any politics, but as we already had more than enough fun with some SJW freaks still to this day complaining about our former "relation" to Russia, I think that's no good idea. We have SJW everywhere and they have nothing better to do than spend their sorry careless lives complaining about anything and everything. So of course I am open for any kind of donation as long as the money did not cost lives of others, but as soon as such (in some eyes) questionable money was taken, we will never be able to set foot anywhere again, that for sure. As last part of my lil speech here... SJW blabla from my side: If that money was given to make us a political instrument against others... That would be a case where I would no accept the money at all.

Btw, I thought we are talking about a killer app here. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
florian

Post by florian »

Russia might invest its money - but probably not right now!

State owned Rostelecom joined Jolla / Sailfish as an investor in march 2018. But as far as I remember Jolla's product was better than alpha. Without v0.5 or rather v1.0 your idea reminds me of Tocotronic's song "Die Idee ist gut, doch die Welt noch nicht bereit".
irony

Post by irony »

With that he could really "annoy" the whole West and the USA and would find respect with normal people because he really used money in the right place.
:lol: there couldn't be more pleasure in flattering, than when you are doing it to yourself, couldn't it?

sometimes, it's getting scary to find what the audience of this project is comprised of.
Xen

Post by Xen »

What ReactOS really need - stable and compatible kernel and multicore support. Then you can just use RDP, VB6 or anything else from WinXP.
P.S. wildschwein - that LOL. Such greedy ppl only invest in himself and dont care about anyone else.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Xen wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:52 pm What ReactOS really need - stable and compatible kernel and multicore support. Then you can just use RDP, VB6 or anything else from WinXP.
P.S. wildschwein - that LOL. Such greedy ppl only invest in himself and dont care about anyone else.
Absolutely. ReactOs is basically unfinished so the whole conversation is moot.

What I think we should do is to change this thread from a negative one and instead think about the question in this context - "What would the killer app be when ReactOS is complete (or stable enough to run just this single app)?"

This way we can just put forward our suggestion:

Mine is of course VB6 and it should be obvious why I might choose this. Just suggest your own and perhaps say why. Realise of course, that this is a mere suggestion for the future in four-five years time perhaps - and if it requires the app to be written from scratch then you can add another five years to that!
Icedragondee

Post by Icedragondee »

For me, my killer app (and this one is a bit selfish and will absolutely contribute nothing to the development of ReactOS) will be any DAW with VST2, VST3 and (hopefully, but probably not) LV2 support. I don't expect this for a very long time, especially since many DAWs and plugins especially are moving away from and are no longer available for 32-bit architecture. Nevertheless, I still look forward to the day when I can boot up ReactOS and just... Use it more or less like Windows but with way less bloat (and having to jump through hoops to even install the next version. (Win11 was a trip for me, though it was probably just on me, but still))
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

My suggestion of VB6 does not contribute to the development of ReactOs directly either. What it could do is to bring professional developers to ReactOS and despite never using VB6 in its construction ReactOS needs the interest of developers of all sorts. VB6 and ReactOS are natural bed partners, both being closely tied to Microsoft products from a particular era.
Icedragondee wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:07 pm For me, my killer app (and this one is a bit selfish and will absolutely contribute nothing to the development of ReactOS) will be any DAW with VST2, VST3 and (hopefully, but probably not) LV2 support.
Probably most here don't know what that is, I hope, no I expect those that visit here to know what VB6 is. You'll need to explain your choice so that we will understand it.
Icedragondee

Post by Icedragondee »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:27 pm Probably most here don't know what that is, I hope, no I expect those that visit here to know what VB6 is. You'll need to explain your choice so that we will understand it.
My bad, sorry.
Basically just music software and the plugins that can be used to aid in the music making process. Again, I apologize. I do tend to get a bit excited and forget to explain stuff, I've often confused friends of mine when I talk about music software and stuff. :oops:
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Ah, yes. I see why you would think ReactOS useful. A customisable Windows compatible o/s with minimal fuss not playing with itself all the time.
leppy232

Post by leppy232 »

Anything compiled pre-2004 would be the killer apps. However, I will say that because ROS is open source, putting out "Windows" binaries in other architectures that aren't amd64 or ARM would then also basically just be for theoretical future ROS ports to those platforms (I'm thinking ppc64[le]).
Currently using: 0.4.15-x86-dev-4872-g8a3db97 (VirtualBox)
Pretty good so far, keep up the good work! :D
Formerly tested on: Dell Inspiron 2200, HP Pavilion p7-1155, want to test on: Dell Inspiron 8500, custom-build ROS machine (P4 2.8GHz, GF6800 Ultra)
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

The one killer app missing from ReactOS is imho Steam!
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.