Proposal for a package management system for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thanatophobia

Proposal for a package management system for ReactOS

Post by Thanatophobia » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 am

I know that ReactOS kinda technically has an 'Applications Manager' where you can install both free and proprietary 'freeware' software, although I wouldn't call it a 'true' package manager since it still just downloads the installer that would then install the actual software. And it also only installs applications, not libraries or other 'core' components.

I'm proposing having a package management system, similar to Debian's dpkg and APT and Red Hat's RPM, where as an alternative of installing software externally via .msi installers, a central repository can be used to install and upgrade Win32 applications and software as well. In addition, it can also be used to install and upgrade 'core' components, and would make upgrading the operating system a much easier process like in Linux distributions, instead of the old way for having to go to a website to install software. It would also allow for separate repository for 'core' components and higher level applications.

I know package managers like NuGet and Chocolatey already exists for Microsoft Windows, but those are for applications using the .NET Framework rather than the native Win32 API.

If I had to pick a good name for such a package manager, I propose naming it perhaps rpkg (ReactOS Package). Maybe there's a better way to name it.

gonzoMD

Re: Proposal for a package management system for ReactOS

Post by gonzoMD » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:55 am

IMO we should not invent the wheel again. To get chocolatey working should be the target. This would avoid a huge amount of maintenance work. As long as this is not done, Rapps does its work. Just my 2 cents.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:18 pm

The RAPPS app manager is fine.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

TMStreicher

Post by TMStreicher » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:51 pm

Chocolatey sounded interesting, but a 2nd look was less appealing. It requires .NET, PowerShell and TLS 1.2+. In order to use the online-installer you have to register. There exists an offline-installer too, but the instructions looked a bit messy. And they already discontinue support for W7 and W2008 server. So Chocolatey is IMO not appropriate.

IMO a good package-manager should be simple, standalone and suitable for "older" systems. RAPPS is fine.

karlexceed

Post by karlexceed » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:39 pm

Yeah, I think the idea of this as a project isn't bad - just not something that ROS devs should have added to their workload. If anyone has the time and interest, by all means start working on an XP-compatible package manager. Then once it's working, it could be added to RApps for easy install in ROS.

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:54 pm

TMStreicher wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:51 pm
In order to use the online-installer you have to register. There exists an offline-installer too, but the instructions looked a bit messy. And they already discontinue support for W7 and W2008 server. So Chocolatey is IMO not appropriate.
to install you run 2 or three commands in PowerShell
1)Get-ExecutionPolicy
2)if Restricted

Code: Select all

Set-ExecutionPolicy AllSigned
or

Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process

Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process -Force; [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol -bor 3072; iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))
and to install an app you enter the command choco install -y AppName for example choco install -y 7zip

PowerShell Core is open source I do not know if the license is GPL compatible or if PowerShell Core can run Chocolatey and i do not know if PowerShell Core will install and run on ReactOS

TMStreicher

Post by TMStreicher » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:50 pm

Thank you for the explanations, MadWolf.

As it turned out RApps already provides a 3rd-party package-manager, Npackd, which even seems to work (very slowly), So the suggestion in the OP might already have been.treated satisfactorily.