Compatibility DB - feedback

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

SuperDog
Translation Team

Compatibility DB - feedback

Post by SuperDog »

I'd like to ask everyone for feedback on current CompatDB system, especially testers. Do you see this project as important, necessary and useful? How could we make it more functional, easier to use or otherwise better? Have you noticed any problems with the system? Is the user interface doing its job? We look forward to hearing from you!
SomeGuy

Re: Compatibility DB - feedback

Post by SomeGuy »

I think the compatibility database is absolutely important and useful. It helps show the world what ReactOS can (or can't) do without everyone having to spend time trying things out for themselves. It is also useful for sharing tips and tricks needed to get applications to run.

Currently compatibility is a constantly moving target as stuff under the hood changes, and ReactOS only guarantees full compatibility with a small handful of applications (that still don't work quite right :lol: ). But as ReactOS becomes more stable and complete, I think the compatibility database will become even more important.

As for problems, I had noticed a problem posting new images on entries that already had one image. Attempting to do so will quietly fail unless you tack a double quote on to the end of the submit screenshots page URL. (had not checked that really recently).

Another problem is that many of the older entries have corrupted version numbers in their entries, which can make them hard to understand when multiple versions are discussed.

I think it would be useful if there were some way to clean up entries. Such as removing duplicates, deleting garbage comments (I'm surprised I haven't seen any spam yet), or removing old obsolete information.

Over all I think the user interface is quite friendly, it is easy for anyone to submit entries and tests. I do see a slight need for some way to help keep constancy with submitted application names (For example "Firefox" vs "Mozilla Firefox"), submitted application version (do you really need separate pages for 10 revisions between 3.0.0.0 and 3.0.0.10?) and as the number of comments grow it might be beneficial to just show tests applicable to just the currently selected version (If you are looking for Word Viewer 2003 test you might not want to see stuff dealing with Word Viewer 97).

Just a few thoughts. Thanks for asking.
SuperDog
Translation Team

Post by SuperDog »

Anyone else would like to share their opinion? Feedback is really important for us!
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

SuperDog wrote:Anyone else would like to share their opinion? Feedback is really important for us!
Imo, the current Compatibility DB is quite nice.It has a really cool Bugzilla tracking feature, so you can see the bugs that an App has opened in the Bugzilla system. Indeed more, it lists the bugs fixed and a link to them, so it will be quite handy if a bug reappears. That is the reason i'll rewrite the Testing Central to use the ComptDB as basis
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

It feels much better, alas there are still issues. I will use Total Commander app as example:

1. The entries should be editable, just like bug reports. Total Commander has been reported as working in 0.3.11... How can i update it with recent revision report? Add a new version entry? One could limit the edit rights just to ReactOS team, but neverless, it should be possible. We should also enforce a single report per version, to avoid duplicated reports at all cost.

2. Comments should be filtered per version selected. If i click on TC 7.50a entry, i should see only comments related to that version. Comments with no version seletected, should be displayed only on App entry level (app version selection screen). Comments should not reflect app status, such should be determined only per version entry.

3. It is disputable if we should display any color-coded status per whole app, or only per version selected. Perhaps a special color should reflect that "at least one version is running", or you would like to apply some gradient color, reflecting the average of working vs non-working versions.

More to come, awaiting your feedback on my feedback:>
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

BTW, that problem posting additional screen shots when there is at least one already is indeed still there. (but copy and paste the screen shot tab URL in to the URL bar and add a " to the end and it will work)

And another bug: if the screen shot file name contains spaces or other escapable characters, the name of the file stored on the server is escaped twice, while the link it looks for is only escaped once. For example, upload a file called "Spybot S&D - Installation.jpg", the link the entry tries to display is
2011-05-02-00-23-09_116_Spybot%20S%26amp%3BD%20-%20Installation.jpg which is a non existent page. So all the Compatibility DB page shows is a broken image with the text "screenshot". The file is actually on the server but the URL is: 2011-05-02-00-23-09_116_Spybot%2520S%2526amp%253BD%2520-%2520Installation.jpg

Notice how each % has been changed to %25
Saibamen

Post by Saibamen »

@SomeGuy
Current Website code is frozen. We fix all bug when new site will be there.
ReactOS Forum Global Moderator
IT-Maniak.pl administrator
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

i can offer myself to maintain compat database, as i did in the mailing list....
sh4ring4n

Post by sh4ring4n »

What about adding a separate database for hardware drivers? The existing ones were a pain...
The cake is a lie!
zydon

Post by zydon »

I never missed to check the compatibility page to find out any new software were stable enough to run under ReactOS. The Database definitely need a new query that sorting based on stability. Currently there is no way to sort the stability list with the exact software version. The list of all green status application.

With such a query, the ReactOS users will changed their habit of using or testing the OS. They will find it easy to shop the list of applications that works under the OS to get the job done. Further refine bug reporting will be developed by this habit based on collection of stable applications rather than most popular applications. When most stable applications has a common bug, it's help developers to pin point the source in a short time. Basically, it helps on user side testing and using the ROS within the productivity level.
naums

Post by naums »

I like the compatiblity database, because someone can see whether a game does work or not... or whether an application works or not. (whether with or without the h after w ?)

There are minor things that could be better, for example there could be a question: "real hardware or virtual PC?" and then according to what you choose there, there could be some input boxes for RAM, CPU, and stuff. Maybe there could be a "todo"-list. (a public one). So anyone can see what applications should be tested (e.g. on real hardware) for some ... testing reasons of stuff. :D Yeah. That's pretty much it. I like the appDB on wineHQ and I like it here. But there could be more games. There are more user needed for maintaining the apps. So there is someone (or there are some guys) that post every day a new app. So no holes between posters of some days or weeks. (The time could be repaired. if it's a minute - it's a minute not 60 seconds.)

MfG Naums
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

There is already a selection for "Virtual Machine" and "Real Hardware" on the submission page, with a drop down containing the popular virtual machine/emulator programs. There is also a little comment field where you can enter your selected VM version number like "4.1.0" or for real hardware something like "Core2 2.4ghz" - although even I often forget to fill that in.

Also, Testing central http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Testing_Central contains a list of developer selected application versions for testing (the specific versions are selected for technical reasons). These apps are also marked in the CompatDB with the keyword "goldenapps".

I agree the DB should be similar in structure to the Wine DB, but there is room for improvement over Wine's. Also, unlike the Wine AppDB, the ReactOS CompatDB keeps track of tested hardware - although there isn't much in there currently.

The main query really does need to report the status of each version separately. Often version 1.0 of an application will work perfectly while version 2.0 crashes and burns. Currently, if someone submits a negative test for 2.0 after a positive 1.0 test, it drops the status rating for the entire thing.

It would be nice if there were more games in there. I think it would get more hits if it did. Unfortunately I don't have all the games in the world to test myself.
naums

Post by naums »

Ain't that the point of openSource? You've got some games, I've got some, some other guy might have one game or two, too. So alltogether we might have a good collection of Games.
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

I would request that there be an option to show all apps by date of last report - so it would be easy to find apps that haven't been tested in a long time.

Also, if you could show the date of last report in the regular list views, as well as the latest AND last version (of the app) tested.

Also also, I see some strange entries in the list, and duplicates (e.g. "* *", "7-Zip (several versions)" "7zip 4.65", etc.)

*Edit* For example, see Firefox (http://www.reactos.org/compat/?show=entry&id=866) and Mozilla Firefox (http://www.reactos.org/compat/?show=entry&id=40). They should be somehow linked.
florian

Post by florian »

I would prefer:

Letter Navigation
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Legend
works stable - [...]

Entries
[...]