Propriatery software in reactos screenshot.

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

Propriatery software in reactos screenshot.

Post by xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:03 am

come on, an official screenshot of ReactOS running propriatety software? :(

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Propriatery software in reactos screenshot.

Post by Z98 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:01 am

Don't know why that's a problem.

preston
Developer

Post by preston » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:40 am

maybe we should implement some kind of check to reactos's pe loader so it can't load non-free binaries... lol

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:46 pm

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx wrote: come on, an official screenshot of ReactOS running propriatety software? :(
I don't see a problem with that. Users should be entitled to run whatever they want, and this screenshot demonstrates that they can. Would you stop somebody running Linux from using a commercial application on his system?

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:46 pm

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx wrote: come on, an official screenshot of ReactOS running propriatety software? :(
Compatibility with Windows programs is important, and screenshots should show how far ReactOS makes an advance. On the other hand, I understand that advertising proprietary apps with connection with free OS doesn't look very good.
Lone_Rifle wrote: Users should be entitled to run whatever they want
Without any doubt, but it is probably not what he meant.
preston wrote: maybe we should implement some kind of check to reactos's pe loader so it can't load non-free binaries... lol
Lol. That'd make ReactOS itself non-free.
  • The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:38 pm

bah. read the second half of the sentence you quoted me on, hto.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 pm

I see only one problem with the screenshot and that is missing toolbox icons (which is anyway appropriate to age of the screen).

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:12 pm

I see another problem with this screenshot, some text on About window is scaled up wrong... I dont see any issues of posting screenshot with Adobe app.

RaptorEmperor

Re:

Post by RaptorEmperor » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:51 pm

hto wrote: Compatibility with Windows programs is important, and screenshots should show how far ReactOS makes an advance. On the other hand, I understand that advertising proprietary apps with connection with free OS doesn't look very good.
The whole point of ReactOS is binary compatibility with Windows. Most important Windows applications are commercial. If all you have is screenshots of OpenOffice and Firefox, a novice might not understand that ReactOS can really run the more commonplace Windows software, such as Microsoft Office or Adobe. Showing proprietary apps running on a free OS like ReactOS might not look good to the hardcore open-source guys like Richard Stallman, but it means we have good software support to everyone else. The issue with Linux is that you see photos of Linux running all open source apps. That tells me as a consumer that it isn't a viable desktop platform because no one sees the value in spending much time developing on it. We don't want ReactOS coming off the same way.

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:21 am

Yes, I meant such hardcore guys

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:52 pm

Seems like some ppl try to contaminate us with the Linux mentality of crucifying all commercial software. Luckily we are no Brain amputated Linux Kiddies. ReactOS will support all apps. Your own built, freeware, shareware and commercial too.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

andrewweb

Post by andrewweb » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:41 pm

EmuandCo wrote:Seems like some ppl try to contaminate us with the Linux mentality of crucifying all commercial software. Luckily we are no Brain amputated Linux Kiddies. ReactOS will support all apps. Your own built, freeware, shareware and commercial too.
Yup, one major reason we dont just give up and use linux is because it wont run our favourite commercial software, linux has plenty of free but not everyone wants the free software if the commercial software's price is not OVER 9000 and pwns the free software!

b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:39 am

Most would-be Linux users seem to complain that you can't run Adobe products well (there's not a native version, Wine doesn't work, or just having to use wine blah blah all kinds of whine).

I think it shows that ROS is functional - more so than freeware. It can run "real" software :)

If you're bothered by that phrasing, btw, realize that's how a lot of people think. Open source is fun and games, proprietary is real software. So screen shot says ROS can already play with the big boys.

jorl17

Post by jorl17 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Even though I adhere to the "Stop using Proprietary Software and use Free Software" movement, I do not enforce it. That's exactly why I don't think there's any problem at all. In fact, I also think it's a good example of software that somewhat-looks-like-it-works.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:17 pm

We'd be lost without proprietary software, free software is generally crap.