web irc client

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

DGMurdockIII

web irc client

Post by DGMurdockIII »

could you add a we based irc client to the website http://www.mibbit.com/widget.html or http://wiki.mibbit.com/index.php/Widget
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: web irc client

Post by Z98 »

No. Even if we did add one, it'd likely be locked for dev use only.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Z98 wrote:No. Even if we did add one, it'd likely be locked for dev use only.
Why just for Dev??why locked?? :evil: :twisted: Translators,Testers and so...are almost as needed/important as devs.
(Most devs comes from Old Translators and Old Testers groups...which have promoted with time...we cant forget that...)

Sorry but i h-a-t-e the word Locked and i´m bored about making Range distinctions.
Locked and Open Source seems to be paradoxical
;).
Also right now there IS (not "would likely be..") a "semi-locked" channel: #reactos-dev,but developers uses the #reactos channel.

Mibbit(or any free IRC) are just IRC clients, so it´s easy to include in the Web and use actual irc channels(also the actual semi-locked #reactos-dev and all new locked channels you wanna create) without problems. But Anyway the easiest and fasterst way to irc connect is using the Firefox Add-on called Chatzilla.So Install it and just clicking on the Irc Channel Links(irc Protocol)in the Comunnity section,channels opens automatically

:mrgreen:
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

It's bandwidth. We do not have the bandwidth to spare to host a web IRC client that's open to everyone, which is also the main reason why we don't host one period. And the extra step people need to take to get onto IRC serves its own purposes, even if it inconveniences people who has IRC blocked for some reason (such as myself). But at the same time, with the alternatives out there, there isn't an actual reason to need one on this site.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Ahmm ok..;)...bandwidth...seems a good reason ;) :mrgreen:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

/me comes another reason in mind to keep the minimum skills needed to get into our chat alive. ;-)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

We did have webirc long time ago (many many year ago). it was remove for allot reason,
1. slow down the webserver allot.
2. use allot of bandwidh

and allot other reason. It was right deciden to remove it.
Another thing was we did have 100% open forum anyone was avablie to post to it, you did not need to register to post it.
the old forum was miss use. that why we decide at end remove the old forum to a phpbbs
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

What about a mibbit client? I'm almost certain that we could provide an external link to somewhere within mibbit's site which has been supplied the necessary arguments to connect directly to the channel; all one would have to do would be to supply his username..
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

Lone_Rifle wrote:all one would have to do would be to supply his username..
Noooo... Please. People who can't even google for "web irc" and then submit channel name and nick shouldn't be allowed to join #reactos.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Before being able to search for "web irc", one first should know about existence of such a thing.