Trac issue tracking system and wiki

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

johdah

Trac issue tracking system and wiki

Post by johdah » Sat May 24, 2008 11:42 am

Hello forum,
This is just a tips about an open source software that has a nice issue tracking system which also could replace the ugly SVN WebView and add a wiki to this great ReactOS project. It's very popular among open source projects like this.

http://trac.edgewall.org/

If I was able to implement it for you I would, but I'm not. So hopefully someone who reads this is.

cheers

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat May 24, 2008 11:55 am

What's wrong with ViewVC and MediaWiki?

johdah

Post by johdah » Sat May 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Nothing wrong with MediaWiki, to replace it is probably not a popular idea.

But look at the demo on the link I provided and you'll see Trac in acton.

"Trac allows wiki markup in issue descriptions and commit messages, creating links and seamless references between bugs, tasks, changesets, files and wiki pages. A timeline shows all project events in order, making the acquisition of an overview of the project and tracking progress very easy."

If Trac is not an option (I think it is) maybe at least some of the ideas from it could be?

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Sat May 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Hello,
Yes I have seen trac's integrated development system and it is pretty nice..
But ReactOS already has a proper Mediawiki, Bugzilla, and SVN view setup and we have ROS-diff mailing list to check out the changesets ..

Anyway the problem with moving to trac would be that it would be a hell of a job to shift all the ReactOS wiki to trac ..
and the one thing "i" don't like bout trac is that they use python scripts to extend the wiki ... and lack the mediawiki style templates ..

Thats my opinion on it atleast ;)
Regards GreyGhost

johdah

Post by johdah » Sat May 24, 2008 1:10 pm

GreyGhost wrote:Hello,
Yes I have seen trac's integrated development system and it is pretty nice..
But ReactOS already has a proper Mediawiki, Bugzilla, and SVN view setup and we have ROS-diff mailing list to check out the changesets ..
MediaWiki is not bad, I agree. But the rest of the setup with Bugzilla, SVN WebView etc. are lacking the basics of usability and webdesign in my opinion.
GreyGhost wrote: Anyway the problem with moving to trac would be that it would be a hell of a job to shift all the ReactOS wiki to trac ..
yes, this could be a problem, but I don't know..
From the Trac Faq:
You can use the attachment:wiki:TracWiki:mediawiki2trac.py script as a starting point. WikiProcessor for the MediaWiki styles has been started as trac plugin on http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/MediaWikiPluginMacro.
GreyGhost wrote: and the one thing "i" don't like bout trac is that they use python scripts to extend the wiki ... and lack the mediawiki style templates ..

Thats my opinion on it atleast ;)
Ok, anyone else?
Keep as it is, use parts/ideas from trac or replace with Trac?

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord » Sat May 24, 2008 3:20 pm

we refuse change from bugzila when we have great standallown tools allown us edit the bug status and review bugs without go into the website
we all devs and tester can use the standalone tools we manger getting a site licen for it for free. see reactos wiki for more info

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:06 pm

Trac was actually looked at when Fireball was evaluating the current development process, but he decided against it because we barely make full use of all of Bugzilla's features, so it's not as if changing would do much at this point in time.