Question about the FAQ

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

PeterLinuxer

Question about the FAQ

Post by PeterLinuxer »

I just stumbled over something in the FAQ:
https://reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS_FAQ#Wh ... dern_UI.3F
The target is Windows 2003 and ReactOS' UI is based upon that. There are four alternative theme choices and both are suited for desktop operation.
That seems to be a mistake: 4 alternatives and then _both_??

Greetings
Peter
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Question about the FAQ

Post by EmuandCo »

Fixed ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The number must have increased.

Peter, if you want access to improve the FAQ further, I am sure it could be done!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

Nah, I'm not a contributer, just a rather uninformed fan. For example I hadn't a clue how many themes there are. ReactOS doesn't run on my machine so I have not much opportunity to learn about it.

Greetings
Peter
irony

Post by irony »

try it on qemu, you are "linuxer", so that's probably the best choice for linuxers, with that KVM and stuff. Or other emulator, that's how ROS now is being developed and tried. you are PeterX, from osdev right? :D so, you are a fan of Windows and clones, but use linux because Stallman said, it's freedom? :D such a resource "friendly" thing, isn't it? I flashed a linux distro on my ARM SBC, and it ate up a half of the 8GB of the SD card from the beginning, without anything installed. even neofetch toy wasn't there. and the linux kernel is like 16MB alone. COMPRESSED!!11 ...try emulators, that's the obvious opportunity as for now.
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

irony wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 pmtry it on qemu
Yes, good idea. I didn't yet, because I prefer real bare metal, but recently I started using Qemu for some x86_64 OS dev. SO I'll give ROS on Qemu a try.
irony wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 pmyou are PeterX, from osdev right?
Don't remind me of _that_, I just have quitted visiting osdev.org. I hope you aren't zaval from that forum? Well, ok, it actually doesn't matter :)
irony wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 pm :D so, you are a fan of Windows and clones, but use linux because Stallman said, it's freedom?
Well, kind of. I don't follow anyone blindly. But Stallman indeed has impressed me with some points. And Windows impressed me, but in a quite negative way. Too much price, too much spying on the user, and many more points I really don't like (and which aren't present in ReactOS)
irony wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 pmsuch a resource "friendly" thing, isn't it? I flashed a linux distro on my ARM SBC, and it ate up a half of the 8GB of the SD card from the beginning, without anything installed.
Yeah, Linux in some aspects suck. ReactOS and Windows have their disadvantages, but as I said elsewhere, I'm really a ReactOS fan.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

If anyone else wants any specific changes made to the ReactOS Wiki FAQ, please contact me as I seem to be the one who is maintaining it at the moment. I'd be happy to listen to any improvements or changes you think ought to be made. I am about to add some imagery to make reading the whole FAQ, a little more palatable.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.