Can we have a few more Mattermost channels?

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Can we have a few more Mattermost channels?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Can we breakdown the Mattermost TownSquare into a few other targetted channels so we don't get scroll fatigue. Can this be done?

Perhaps:

one for hardware
one for development (we have it)
one for general Windows chatter
we already have an off-topic
one for general ReactOS chatter
one for testing

Any suggestions?

I think it is necessary otherwise the town square channel seems to become a stream of consciousness sometimes and it leads to scroll fatigue.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Re: Can we have a few more Mattermost channels?

Post by binarymaster »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:05 pm Can we breakdown the Mattermost TownSquare into a few other targetted channels so we don't get scroll fatigue. Can this be done?
ReactOS community in Matrix actually has that now.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Crikey Stas'm, that reply was a long time coming.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:18 pm Crikey Stas'm, that reply was a long time coming.
Worth checking ;) Especially given we'll have to migrate to Matrix sooner or later.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yes, I suppose so. Is there a recommended iphone client for Matrix, one thing I find very convenient for Mattermost is how seamlessly it integrates on handheld devices.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I prefer Mattermost and oppose against any Matrix as main system plans. Give Mattermost a few more channels and we are set.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:30 pm Yes, I suppose so. Is there a recommended iphone client for Matrix, one thing I find very convenient for Mattermost is how seamlessly it integrates on handheld devices.
Try Element for iOS. Also FluffyChat looks interesting to me, but I didn't tried it yet.

EmuandCo wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:33 pm I prefer Mattermost and oppose against any Matrix as main system plans. Give Mattermost a few more channels and we are set.
Are you opposing for the sake of opposing? I'm using Element/Matrix for quite a while already, and it works for me.

Mattermost will be not available for standalone installations soon. Cloud as a service is not an option for us, so we will have to migrate, if not to Matrix, then to somewhere else.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We already had that discussion once. I had enough fun with Element/Matrix last FOSDEM where Element ate my keys and I was not able to read any message from before making a new one anymore. Nice one if you are maintaining a virtual booth. The app broke down four times while FOSDEM and once had to be completely removed and reinstalled to work again. "welcome back to 1980" as Mark would say ^^ We fought long enough for some administative tools in MM and Matrix has none of these. I witnessed a Z3K Moment in Matrix once and he was not bannable. Nope, that messenger service spent way too much time for serving paranoia and not for things that are important. While we are at it. Matrix is one of the reasons why I will not help on FOSDEM that year. Risk is way too high, that my next tantrum causes a mess in my flat.

Can you show me the information regarding MM becoming cloud only? Cannot find it by googling around.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

EmuandCo wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:40 pm Can you show me the information regarding MM becoming cloud only? Cannot find it by googling around.
It's here: https://docs.mattermost.com/about/deplo ... e-editions

We're using Mattermost Enterprise Edition E20 license which will reach end-of-life on October 31, 2023.

Discussion in the context: