Version / Changelog navigation templates order / verbiage unification

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

justincase

Version / Changelog navigation templates order / verbiage unification

Post by justincase »

We have three templates for navigating the Version and/or Changelog pages: Each of these is a table with links to pages of it's respective type, and each includes a list of the three types at the top of the table for ease of navigation between these related topics, however the list of these three topics at the top of the table is in a different order / wording in each template. These are as follows (respectively): I'd like to suggest that the three of these be given a consistent order, and verbiage. In particular, I like this order:
"Versions / Official Changelogs / Community Changelogs"
However, I don't mind if a different order / wording is chosen, as long as the same order is used across all three templates, as I'm primarily bothered by the lack of consistency.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
karlexceed

Re: Version / Changelog navigation templates order / verbiage unification

Post by karlexceed »

FWIW, I agree with your proposal to make them all ""Versions / Official Changelogs / Community Changelogs""
justincase

Post by justincase »

Thank you. Hopefully someone who has access to edit those templates will agree.
Also, I continued thinking about this, and I wonder if "Versions / Technical Changelogs / Community Changelogs" would be better. IDK.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I changed the last one to fit the above discussion as it was the only one not protected. Now if someone with elevated privileges will edit the first 2 to match, it would be good.

Now, I hope the bolding is left since that lets the user know which one is selected. The idea there is for the current page to be the highlighted heading. With only that difference, I say we should use the aforementioned order.
justincase

Post by justincase »

OK, but it's the other two that I needed help with, as they're protected.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

justincase wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:37 pm I'd like to suggest that the three of these be given a consistent order, and verbiage. In particular, I like this order:
"Versions / Official Changelogs / Community Changelogs"
However, I don't mind if a different order / wording is chosen, as long as the same order is used across all three templates, as I'm primarily bothered by the lack of consistency.
Done. ;)
justincase

Post by justincase »

THANK YOU!!
This has been really bothering me for quite some time.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, it works nicely now, and you can treat the headings like tabs. I'm glad you called that to our attention. You might want to change/remove your sig.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
justincase

Post by justincase »

PurpleGurl wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:47 pmYou you might want to change/remove your sig.
Ah yes, thanks.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

I have also updated Changelogs and Versions pages.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
justincase

Post by justincase »

After looking more closely at those pages due to your edits, I see that they really need someone to review the grammar used on them.
Looking at the history of these pages, it apparently has been like this for quite a while, so please see this as a 'thank you for bringing attention to the problem', but these pages really need a native English speaker to review them and fix up the grammar.

I'll try to take some time to write up the issues I see in each page's discussion page soon.