Spam

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: Spam

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well if you need help, sick, grumpy or just can't be bothered just let us know. :D
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

And another two users / 13 posts ^^ Well, I am happy with you all reporting posts like the edited ones containing spam. This reduces the workload exremely.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Now some sort of lottery spammer posting non-English spam.

(OT, but I noticed something on another site that I reported. There was a racist bot on Reddit. Reddit has bots that use user accounts to do various things. Some tell jokes when triggered, some inform of correct spelling/grammar, some warn about user behavior, one makes up new words from things said, etc. But this one was triggered by racial designations and would say that x-people didn't exist, that they were mutants, etc. So I reported it, and some user mods blocked it from their subs.)

And yet again. Do they sell spammer certificates too?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I know, no double posts, but this fresh wiki spam needs attention:

https://reactos.org/wiki/User:Vssesolutions
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Sent to the ppl who can fix that. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I guess I should have PMed Colin Finck. Thanks.
----

Edit: It looks like I stumbled into a motherlode of fake help desk sites and numbers.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think it is time to stop first-timers from being able to post. People with less than three posts should not be able to auto-publish. It does mean the moderator workload is going to multiply by ten probably reviewing all the first time posters but I think it needs to happen to make this forum workable again.

SPAM gives SUCH a bad impression when the causal visitor lands here and sees nothing but the SPAM. Makes the forum look like a dead forum and gives ReactOS a bad impression too. When a forum goes spammy, the site is normally dead.

Once again, we are here to help.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:26 pm People with less than three posts should not be able to auto-publish.
The problem is the latest spammers have more than three post before made their spam thread.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The first three are reviewed to see if they make sense and are real before being published.
It can be done by email.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I've let Daniel know about a suspicious poster recently. They hadn't spammed yet, but their posts were low-quality and one for an old thread. So he locked their posts so they couldn't edit them.

Another idea, lock old version threads. When a new release comes out, lock the ones for old releases. I imagine some valid users will want to discuss older versions, but those threads are among the ones that get spammed.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I added an edit to the wiki spam.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

Or maybe make a filter by tags because the spammer posts are often the same.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

mrmajik45 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:44 pm I added an edit to the wiki spam.
I saw that. LOL! I came close to thinking there were 4 spammers, and then I saw your change. Anyway, Heis took care of it.
shunesburg wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:30 pm Or maybe make a filter by tags because the spammer posts are often the same.

Yeah, like specific sites and phone numbers.
oldman

Post by oldman »

EmuandCo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:42 pm And sorry for the post approval we have now, but it's the only way to fight back the spam mess we have right now. While approving your post I disapproved three others again for being spam.
How does this work? Do post still appear in the forum before approval? Because another spam post has appeared in Off Topic, where the poster has just joined on the 14 Nov 2018 at 08:29 and posted at 08:41 (14 Nov 2018).
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.