Wiki captcha broken (reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN)

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

NightFox

Wiki captcha broken (reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN)

Post by NightFox »

Hello. When I try to edit the article (Supported Hardware/Video cards), I see a broken captcha:
[ external image ]
Please fix it.
oldman

Re: Wiki captcha broken (reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN)

Post by oldman »

NightFox wrote:Hello. When I try to edit the article (Supported Hardware/Video cards), I see a broken captcha:
[ external image ]
Please fix it.
This is fooling people and I suppose that it is doing it's job.

There are other topics in the forums about it. Please do a search.

What I think you have to do is, type in the red letters and you should be good to go.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

oldman wrote:Please do a search.
Where is the search? I do not see the search field (globally).
I found it through the trick, but why was it necessary to hide the search on the forum?
oldman wrote:What I think you have to do is, type in the red letters and you should be good to go.
It does not work. "V1 SHUTDOWN ON 2018-03-31" and etc too not work.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

NightFox wrote:why was it necessary to hide the search on the forum?
Yeah, we had a whole discussion about it... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17104

Though, looking now it looks like no one created a JIRA ticket for it...
middings

Post by middings »

JIRA issue ONLINE-785, "reCAPTCHA V1 still used by ReactOS Wiki" was created on 5 May 2018.

The ReactOS web team is aware of the problem but for technical reasons cannot fix it right away. Please be patient.
erkinalp

avoid recaptcha v2

Post by erkinalp »

Replace v1 by v3, not v2 as v2 captcha is indirectly contributing to non-free proprietary software.
Last edited by erkinalp on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Global Forum search ?

Post by EmuandCo »

erkinalp wrote:Replace v1 by v3, not v2 as v2 captcha is indirectly contributing to non-free proprietary software.
Yeah and who cares?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

v2 contributes to Google self-driving car project anonymously.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We will replace to whatever we can and if it is v2, then it is v2. Noone here will support fanatic GPLisms, we do what the used projects allow us to do.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

It is incompatible even with opensource ethics by requiring anonymous prior contribution to third party. I do not oppose captchas in general but there are ones that do not make users contribute to a project anonymously without user noticing.
anthracen

Post by anthracen »

oh sorry, I saw this stupid captcha thing, would you forgive me if I ask here, it's related. So I was trying to login and messed up with the password, and after a few tries, it wanted me enter the captcha. the one that doesn't exist... since on its place "captcha is blablabla" written. So, is there now a way to login after one exceeds the amount of failed tries without captcha needed? I couldn't. So i went and reset my password, it got reset, via email, giving me a password made for me and happily notifying, that "of course I can change it thorugh a profile page". But. I failed to find that freaking place! Neither on "user control panel" on the "profile" tab nor on user info page, that shows up by clicking a user nickname link I couldn't find a "change password" option. Please, could someone point me? :)
middings

Post by middings »

When you see the broken reCaptcha, answer it by typing in the string shown in red letters then press Enter. It works like the old captcha that required the user to recognize letters.

To log in to the ReactOS web site, go to the ReactOS.org home page (front page). You may use the link in the upper left corner of this ReactOS Forum page. Then choose "Login" at the top of the page or scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. Unless you are already logged in, you will see fields for your username and password. Enter them.

I agree that the "profile page" is well hidden. Where is the profile page? I believe "profile page" is another name for the user page. To reach it, choose the link marked "MY ACCOUNT" that appears at the bottom of the ReactOS.org home page when one is logged in. The user page has three tabs. To change one's profile (including password) choose the "Edit" tab. Be sure to choose the "Save" button below all the fields for making changes. This records one's changes, if any, and returns one to the top of the user page. From the top of the user page one can use the links to navigate to the ReactOS home page and other parts of the ReactOS web site.

NOTE: A password change requires time to propagate to all the ReactOS servers for the ReactOS Forum, Wiki, JIRA etc. Normally this takes only minutes but sometimes may take a few hours. If it takes more than a day for your new password to work on all portions of the ReactOS site, please tell us about the problem.
anthracen

Post by anthracen »

thank you, middings. I finally found that page. It realy is this page. Interesting, I went there before, but it rejected to accept my credentials. Even now it worked from the second try. Still, even after authorization, it rejects the password change, saying "the current password is missing or incorrect", which of course is not true. But at least now I know where to try. :)
MY ACCOUNT link on the main ReactOS.org page rejects authorization too.