Moderator: Moderator Team

DGMurdockIII

Forum mobile support

Post by DGMurdockIII »

Can we get theme or layout to support mobile phones on forums
dizt3mp3r

Re: Forum mobile support

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The forum is primarily for people with desktops. ReactOS will be a desktop o/s and I presume the majority of its visitors use desktops too. If the majority start coming from mobiles then perhaps someone might think about introducing some responsive elements to the forum.

I for one absolutely hate websites that shift and change according to what device you are using, that are forced to use a blocky and childlike interface for stubby finger-pointing digits. I say desktop sites and forums only for desktop o/ses.

But that's just me.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
milon

Post by milon »

I often browse the forum from a mobile phone (Android, using Chrome). @dizt3mp3r, have you tried accessing from a mobile? It's basically the same layout except with GIANT vertical spacing between threads that happens at random on a refresh. It's already a pain because it's trying to be responsive or something. I would actually rather it not treat mobile different because I'd at least get a consistent (and usable) experience that way.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Personally, I feel the opposite but that's my personal prejudice. If the forum is found wanting in this respect then by all means raise a request.

I've always disliked browsing on a device the size of a playing card, with cheesey hamburger menus, a complete lack of onMouseOver, a different experience on each device. I prefer full size sites if I have to use such a device, they have pinch and prod zoom. I think all this responsive stuff is overdone and not strictly necessary and the desktop experience is often forgotten or bastardised. As I said that's my own prejudice.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
milon

Post by milon »

Me thinks you misread something. It's already different. And broken. And I would rather it be the same as desktop. We're on the same page here.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I did misread you. Apologies to you Milon.

I got to restate my case again (which always makes me happy) :D