Website translation guide

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Website translation guide

Post by Z98 »

Due to hounding by my nominal ROS boss: http://www.reactos.org/website-translation
oswetto

Re: Website translation guide

Post by oswetto »

Thanks for the guide!! :-)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Ho... been a change here since I last visited. Congratulations on the (move to the) new website! When did that happen, precisely?

Been a very long time since people debated this transition, and it seemed to take forever with huge delays, making one wonder if it would ever get done...but here we are. :-)

(Had some trouble making the site recognise my old username, though. But all worked out in the end.)

Now that there is a new site, and I see this translation guideline - and noticing the website being (not) translated in some languages... I offer my help in translating it to Dutch. I guess I'll need the (extra) privileges though, since I don't see the 'translate' tab with my username. So how does one apply for them on the new site?
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Due to hounding by my nominal ROS boss: http://www.reactos.org/website-translation
So...ermm...how to get translation-priviliges? (see my other post)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Dutch was dropped as an actively supported language on the site.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Dutch was dropped as an actively supported language on the site.
Well...exactly; it was dropped because there was no-one who did it anymore, right? I'm offering to actively support the Dutch language on this site.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Webunny wrote:
Z98 wrote:Dutch was dropped as an actively supported language on the site.
Well...exactly; it was dropped because there was no-one who did it anymore, right? I'm offering to actively support the Dutch language on this site.
Ermm...seen the lack of any further response, am I to understand one is unwilling to allow a Dutch translation of the site, even if I'm offering my services for free? I fail to follow the logic, to be frank. I see Sweden is on there: about 9500000 people speak Swedish. Dutch is spoken by at least 23000000. It seems strange that one would deem the first enough for a translation, but not the second, thus.

I said this before, but I have a hard time understanding this...attitude. It's always like struggling uphill when you want something to help out ROS with. Normally, one would expect, when you offer to translate, something like: "Oh, great! Thanks! Here you go: prove yourself and make a fine translation!" And yet, here you get: "We don't do that language". What the f- is the problem? If you find someone who is willing to do it, why not let him do it? If you're unsatisfied, you can still eliminate the translation afterwards at any time! Why is it so difficult for the devs/official parties to be open a bit more? We can't all be coders, you know. It's like only those get some slack, and all the rest hardly get any positive response.

But, you know: fine. If my help isn't wanted, than let's leave it at that. Apparently it's a PR-doctrine of ROS.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

1) There is currently only one person coordinating website content, me.

2) I currently am dealing with a lot of work in RL due to my graduate studies so my attention is heavily split. In addition to you asking questions, I have developers and other team members making requests of my time for ReactOS related issues along with external people sending queries that I have to handle.

As to your specific question, the languages that were chosen were at the time based off of the historic ability of translators and maintainers in keeping up with things like news items and newsletters. Languages with known active maintainers were grandfathered in and are still at risk of getting disabled or dropped if we ever do a review and find that things are not working. At the time the list of supported languages on the website was decided, Dutch was not a language that had active maintainers or translators well known to the team. You propose yourself to act as that maintainer, but your direct contribution to the project has not been sufficient enough for me to automatically go ahead and say yes. If you want to be given the responsibility for Dutch translations and get us to add Dutch as a language back to the site, you'll need to provide a token demonstration to the project.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:1) There is currently only one person coordinating website content, me.

2) I currently am dealing with a lot of work in RL due to my graduate studies so my attention is heavily split. In addition to you asking questions, I have developers and other team members making requests of my time for ReactOS related issues along with external people sending queries that I have to handle.

As to your specific question, the languages that were chosen were at the time based off of the historic ability of translators and maintainers in keeping up with things like news items and newsletters. Languages with known active maintainers were grandfathered in and are still at risk of getting disabled or dropped if we ever do a review and find that things are not working. At the time the list of supported languages on the website was decided, Dutch was not a language that had active maintainers or translators well known to the team. You propose yourself to act as that maintainer, but your direct contribution to the project has not been sufficient enough for me to automatically go ahead and say yes. If you want to be given the responsibility for Dutch translations and get us to add Dutch as a language back to the site, you'll need to provide a token demonstration to the project.
Well, fair enough, I guess. At least it sounds a bit better than an outright refusal to translate into Dutch out of principle, or something. I'm not sure what 'token demonstration' you had in mind, though. I'll note that I have been an active user of ROS, posted on the forum, filed some bugs (a tester, thus) and (re)wrote stuff in the wiki (the whole article about using virtualbox/putty, for instance). In the context of a general contribution to ROS, this would surpass already a mere 'token', I believe.

If you were specifically asking for a token sign of my ability to translate English into Dutch; granted, I haven't done that, but I didn't have any opportunity to show that neither. What would you like me to translate?

Mind you, I'm not trying to exaggerate neither; it's not like I'll be able to translate the whole site in a day. I'll start with the mainpage and then gradually move further. Seen the fact that most other translation-pages still don't have much going beyond the mainpage, it seems to me that wouldn't be a real problem, even if it took me some weeks to completely translate everything. In any case, I'm pretty sure I can do better than half of the 'language translations' that are currently on there.

Edit: made an extra token (translation-related) in the code of conduct part of the forum... (http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 09#p104867)
sdecesari

Post by sdecesari »

Hello.
I'm quite new to ReactOS but i have seen that the italian translation on the web site isn't very good. May i do anything to help on that?
i.e. i could send copy of the pages with mistakes corrected.

Example:

https://www.reactos.org/it
----
Riscritto completamente da zero, ReactOS non è si basa in alcun modo su Linux e condivide nulla dell'architettura UNIX.
----
the right translation would be
----
Riscritto completamente da zero, ReactOS non si basa in alcun modo su Linux e non condivide nulla dell'architettura UNIX.
----

Small mistakes but they are many on many pages.

Thanks.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Generally if you wish to help with website translations you apply to get translation privileges. To do so you need to review the translation howto linked at the top of the page and pm me a message indicating that you understand what NOT to do when performing translations.
kaczor

Post by kaczor »

Hello, does new page even have translation features?