Keeping it up to date

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Keeping it up to date

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Regardless of whether we have a new or old website the most important thing is that the website is kept up to date. A shiny new website won't help if the content is old and outdated. On the current site we have a current donation amount under the "ReactOS Fundraising Campaign 2012" and it rarely updates from month to month. We have no idea whether anyone is currently contributing or not. The main news item on the Frontpage is again the "ReactOS Fundraiser 2012" which is very old and out-of-date news and it makes it look as if nothing has happened within Reactos at all for a year, it is now 2013... We MUST have something new to say.

The news section below that (isn't the bit above news too?) has minutes for a meeting that occurred almost two months ago, wouldn't it nice if the chappie who draws up the minutes, felt that it was his job to disseminate that information too? That way the community and the world could be kept informed, let's have December's minutes and then January's too. Stale information leads to a bad feeling, a lack of communication and therefore a perceived lack of progress, as in confident people would be willing to put out their message confidently, right?

The ReactOS commits are a great thing to have but having a thin tall listing of commits on the right hand side is rather a strange output for people to read. As it is the only regular information the team puts out and it is entirely relevant to the whole ReactOS community, ie. it shows progress, let's put it in pride of place somewhere on the front page in the main section. It would fit much better from left to right on the main page rather than squeezed in on the right hand column. It looks all wrong there. I am sure there is another module position, perhaps beneath 'news', where it could be displayed.

Currently a poor show on the website, needs to do better, let us know what is going on and perhaps a photo or two to show what a dynamic, forward-thinking, progressive bunch you are!
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Keeping it up to date

Post by vicmarcal »

Well..some of the problems you are pointing are related to bottlenecks,most of them related to the RosCMS or the organization around RosCMS.
Dunno why the old Reactos guys decided to create their own CMS instead using an already done one.
Anyway,RosCMS seems to suck nowadays.I think it doesnt have different level of privileges(author,editor,admin,etc), and hence it is more difficult to let people participate in News creation.
But also it's needed guys willing to help with the content creation. The content doesnt born in trees,someone has to create it.
Hope moving to the new site will also mean reducing bottlenecks(not just 3admin of the site,but 5 or 6 and contributors/editors rol).
About the meeting: Since two months ago there wasnt any other meeting.The Christmas one was postponed.
About the Fundraising: It is mantained by the Germany Reactos branch. They are busy now solving buro-crazy problems related to paying devs as it is a nonprofit organization.

Hope to see you soon contributing in the Epic win thread or creating content.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Happy to create content for you - just need a news feed from the devs to let us know what has happened. I can't report on what I don't know. However if you give me some rough notes a photo or two, and an idea of what is going on, I'd be happy to write copy.

The new website when it comes online can't help but be an improvement on the old, designing your own CMS is an unnecessary chore. All my sites are Joomla based rather than Drupalm (the devs choice) eg. http://lightquick.co.uk/steampunk-widge ... Itemid=264 and you'll see I'm good at writing copy, see blog http://lightquick.co.uk/blog.html?Itemid=252, even with these old CMS you can still submit by email or via the easy to use front end. Joomla not necessarily the best but you can't go far wrong with it.

I bang out copy every month or so to keep the site fresh. I'd love to help but in truth I don't know much about ReactOS and what goes on behind the scenes.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

milon

Post by milon »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Happy to create content for you - just need a news feed from the devs to let us know what has happened. I can't report on what I don't know. However if you give me some rough notes a photo or two, and an idea of what is going on, I'd be happy to write copy.
I don't know if this is what you're looking for or not, but you can get updates on the home screen:
http://www.reactos.org - See the ReactOS Commits in the lower right (you can also get the RSS feed directly, I think)

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The ReactOS commits are a great thing to have but having a thin tall listing of commits on the right hand side is rather a strange output for people to read. As it is the only regular information the team puts out and it is entirely relevant to the whole ReactOS community, ie. it shows progress, let's put it in pride of place somewhere on the front page in the main section. It would fit much better from left to right on the main page rather than squeezed in on the right hand column. It looks all wrong there. I am sure there is another module position, perhaps beneath 'news', where it could be displayed.
Yes, Milon I know it's there,see my comment above.

Although it is good information, its relevance can only really be defined by the author of the change, simply putting the commits in a better place on the FP would be a better way of disseminating this information.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Dizt3mp3r: You pointed the issue.
We need guys connected into our IRC who wants to write about the Reactos advances.
The solution you're proposing is not efficient:Devs writing info to keep you updated,and you weiting it to keep user updated.It'll be faster if Devs writes directly in the CMS.
Why dont they "blog"?
Easy.Low spare time. If they are coding they can't spend that time bloging. At least is preferable they use all their time to code.So forcing them to blog is not a way.
So Dizt3mp3r,come to IRC,keep connected and informed and blog without asking devs but based in the daily info. This is the PR version of the typical developing sentence:" Patch is accepted TM"
:)

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

That is what I was saying. I would be happy to write copy and I'd offer my services to assist (just to show willingness and to make it clear I am not a complainer) but the best people to do it are the devs. Give them a camera, pen and paper...

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

On a related note, I would be willing to help out with screen shots. Some of the recent pictures from the Epic Win thread should be on the front page instead of that old Photoshop 3 under ReactOS 0.2.9.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

I think this will be solved with the upcoming new website.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

When is the next IRC? Where is it? How do you join?

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

dizt3mp3r wrote:When is the next IRC? Where is it? How do you join?
Do you see the "Community" button in the menu bar of our website ? Click there, then click on "IRC Community" on the opened webpage. You simply arrive there: http://www.reactos.org/en/community_irc.html

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

hbelusca wrote:I think this will be solved with the upcoming new website.
+1
Drupal helps to have a better environment and less bottlenecks.
Hope it will fix some of those issues
:)