Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

Great news.
*downloads*
shae

Post by shae »

Go ROS! :)
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Thank you for this version 0.3.4 ! I'm downloading it right now and I will test it on VMware. I will tell you feedback later.

Congratulations to all the team!! By the way will the next version be 0.3.5 or 0.4.0?
Przyborowski

Post by Przyborowski »

cmoibenlepro wrote:By the way will the next version be 0.3.5 or 0.4.0?
The next release will be 0.3.5 :)
heres quote from the ReactOS homepage.
The next release will be 0.3.5 which is loosely-scheduled to be released in April, 2008.
absurdist

Post by absurdist »

@reactosfan:

I think Stefan100 was trying to be helpful. There's really no need to be a dick about it.

On to other topics... my congratulations and greatest respect to the developers. ReactOS gets more and more usable with each release.

(yes, I know that's the point, reactosfan.)
Stefan100
Developer

Post by Stefan100 »

In reply to reactosfan and other complaints...

Of course real hardware is aimed to in the future.

However, RIGHT NOW ReactOS is not very stable and functional on real hardware, and thus I recommend trying it on a VM. If you are interested in extra crashes, hardware issues and a bunch of other problems, then by all means, run it on real hardware.

The reason for hard are timing issues, stubbed HAL functions, poor driver support etc. In my opinion, only developers and advanced testers should try ReactOS on real hardware as of now.
reactosfan

stephan100

Post by reactosfan »

To my opinion the project is at a poit were they could deliver alpha versions for real hardware. I testet every version since 0.26 or 7 on real hardware if it was possible. Therefore I know exactly what run on my dell optiplex gx1 550plus with 250 MHz Ram. I only use this desktop for reactos. And I do have a network card plugged in that works (realtech chipset, normal dell on motherboard is not supported jet). So please tell me not "it my not work on some hardware".

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I AM DOING!

And I do like to run reactOS on real hardware - not on VM. And I find it fair if the ps/2 bug is still present to mention it for not to blame testers. For me it is ok to have a version (0.34) it cannot be installed on real hardware - but the developers should be able to tell it. That makes much more sense than to say nothing about it. And by the way this bug has to be found sometime or the reactOS stays as helpful like wine.
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

At this point wine is actually more useful. It runs on real hardware without VM's or video emulation.

Good job on the release though, looking forward to 0.3.5 and a bugfix for the PS/2 - Umm so when is that USB driver going to be finished?
cppm

Post by cppm »

Awesome news!

@Stephen

I don't think anyone is seriously trying to run ROS for production uses on real hardware, rosfan etc are testing . On top of that this is an opensource project and the feedback to be got from the general userbase is one of it's most valuable commodities, lacking teams of testers but having a strong enthusiast following. Taking that away at any stage and restricting any area of testing to "developers and advanced testers" is at once insulting and damaging, running against the Open development grain.

I know you're trying to be helpful, but you should also know that, chances are people who mentioned perfectly legitimate regressions from earlier functionality were also trying to be helpful.

Afterall ,if they really find a use for reactos on real hardware, and earlier releases work better, then they can still use those can't they?

@all

Bugs go in bugzilla! k? 8) cool
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I finally tested it and I must say that I was very impressed. It seems that it is MUCH more stable than before. I used it for about an hour, so I got a few blue screens, but less than before and I was always able to reboot it after it crashed. In previous versions, after a crash, often reactos became corrupted so I needed to reinstall it.

The only thing that did not work was diablo 2. I was able to install it (but I did not download it with downloder though), and I installed the glide wrapper.
But when I clicked on the diable icon, nothing happened.
Too bad, I will test it in 0.3.5 :wink:
florian

Post by florian »

cmoibenlepro wrote: The only thing that did not work was diablo 2. I was able to install it (but I did not download it with downloder though), and I installed the glide wrapper.
But when I clicked on the diable icon, nothing happened.
Too bad, I will test it in 0.3.5 :wink:
Hopefully ReactOS will be as good as Diablo II which is still a joy to play.
In this regard many thanks in advance to our devs!
Stefan100
Developer

Post by Stefan100 »

@cppm

Thanks for your reply. I realise that my didn't quite say what I meant, nor was it very nice.

What I really meant was: If you want to run ReactOS on hardware, then please post useful information on bugzilla whenever problems occur. If you don't want to fight hardware problems and want to see what ReactOS is capable of, then I strongly suggest using a VM instead.
Also. "Advanced testers" meant tester who can provide useful debug information. It can be a bit complicated to get debug output from hardware, and that is where the "advanced" was meant. I should have specified that..

@reactosfan

Thanks for testing on real hardware and please post about any hardware related regression/problem you find on bugzilla.
kiefmymate

Unable to load ReactOS on my hardware

Post by kiefmymate »

Firstly I must say that all compliments, allocades to the ReacOs development team and to any body else who has had input to thids project. Hats off to yo guys, you have so far sweated blood and tears to get to this point 0.3.4. I have tried various methods of loading this OS on to my ReactOS test machine, but I have not been successfull. I have read thru most of thses posts and I see others have the same problem! I must say I am a bit dissapointed in some of the replies because as far as I am concerned I want to test this on hardware, nothing else. This may be a alpha release but we are now travelling by version 0.3.4 and to say that there could still be a KB/Mouse bug makes me wonder. These are the basics, you nee a keyboard, you need a mouse, again I stress that by now we should be loading on test hardware. Version 0.3.3 loads perfectly allthough my mouse does freeze at times and I need to reboot. At present I can see as soon as the keyboard files wany to load my monitor goes black, should I press any key after this I get the language selection and then my system hamgs! I see some developers are getting hot under the coller but this should be read as constructive criticium. I am essecially waiting for a stable rlease which I am going to load onto a network system, so that I can test and see if I can get the various Bank software to work with ReactOS. Enough said!

Regards

Kiefmumate
dreams

Post by dreams »

The KB/mouse problem is a regression because work in that part of reactos is being done, while 0.3.4 was branched. IIRC a dev rewrote KB/mouse to be plug-and-play compatible. The regression is just temporally and everything will soon work again.
kiefmymate

Post by kiefmymate »

kiefmymate,

I did not know my spelling is this bad after reading my post, and I am english must be the pills I am taking. Sorry guys. :oops:

Regards to you all.