0.4.0 is out

ReactOS related news

Moderator: Moderator Team

EmuandCo
Developer

0.4.0 is out

Post by EmuandCo »

A bit late, but...

The ReactOS project is pleased to announce the release of 0.4.0.

The download is located here: http://www.reactos.org/download

For more information, please see this page: https://www.reactos.org/project-news/re ... 0-released
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Tahach

Re: 0.4.0 is out

Post by Tahach »

I want this os to succeed so badly, what would it take to just make it work like a really stable version of win xp sp3? I don't care if I can never use newer or more advanced software, win xp sp3 could run everything I will ever need. I just need this to be able to do what win xp sp3 could. How can that be accomplished?

Watching this was heartbreaking; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Jp-WIxZxQ
Konata

Post by Konata »

Tahach wrote:what would it take to just make it work like a really stable version of win xp sp3?
Undetermined amount of years divided by donation money plus more developers who know NT's internals.
I know it's hard to stay patient, but it helps to browse the JIRA to see how progress is going.
Also ReactOS is still targeting SP2. Once it's substantially finished it can begin to target SP3, and maybe even eventually Vista.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Theres NO SP3 for Windows Server 2003.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Konata

Post by Konata »

EmuandCo wrote:Theres NO SP3 for Windows Server 2003.
I didn't know that! Is SP2 equivalent to XP's SP3?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Windows XP is NT 5.1, 2003 is NT 5.2. Waaaay different tree

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Not quite true. XP SP3 basically shifted XP over to the 2k3 codebase.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, it's still 5.1 vs 5.2, right? But sure, might be true....

usufog

Post by usufog »

Finally working marginally well in VirtualBox.
And with the new versions I am beginning to lose my attitude towards ReactOS stability.

Please developers: Get it working out of the box with default drivers and guest additions on VirtualBox 4.3.40 and higher.
By doing this, it will become more practical for beta testing for the rest of the world.