[Community Edition]The 3 Top Most Voted apps are...

ReactOS related news

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

[Community Edition]The 3 Top Most Voted apps are...

Post by vicmarcal »

The Community Site has published the 3 Top Most voted software apps.
These 3 apps, chosen by the Indiegogo backers who bought the "Push your App" perk and related, are now being raised to have top priority.

Our objective is to have at least these 3 apps working perfectly, and focusing our efforts to make them work really nice in ReactOS. This will force all the ReactOS Development Team to achieve really big goals, since probably rewritings/retestings/replacings/recodings will be needed. But this big effort will benefict not just these 3 apps but probably, as you imagine, a bunch of others too so ReactOS will grow in stability and compatibility.

While the ReactOS Development Team keeps working in make those 3 real, We really wish that our Community helps as much as possible to make it happens. Right now we would need all your help and effort to test these 3 apps in current ReactOS latest builds helping to find even the smallest glitch happening.

And now: Discover the 3 pieces of software selected by you!
Oddjob64

Re: [Community Edition]The 3 Top Most Voted apps are...

Post by Oddjob64 »

Well, finally. Surprised there have been no replies. For those who don't like suspense:

1. Java SE Runtime Environment 7 (Update 55?)
2. Google Chrome 35.0
3. Microsoft Word 2010

What I find a little problematic is the fact that by the time the Community Edition is released, Chrome will probably have at least 10 more major revisions. Just version 37.0 introduced a dependency on DirectX. And Chrome also uses the Windows Certificate Store, which is part of Internet Explorer... I'll leave the ReactOS team to sort that out however.

Oh, and you may want to post this news on the front page.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Having a DX dependency would automatically disqualify it.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well... tbh, we never stated any reasons for apps not to choose. They want it, so.... what else could we do than accept it...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

If Google wants to release a new version each week..it's not our fault really :)
One day probably Firefox and Google will stop doing these fast rollingreleases or whatever are called...I really hate FF downloading and reinstalling each 2 weeks because they changed the GUI or fixed a critical bug due these "let's reach FF 10000".
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, these updates can be real fun, yeah... But why DX at all? That thing is made for multiple platforms, so it should work without, too, except it has more or other features under Windows than it has on Linux.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Oddjob64

Post by Oddjob64 »

To be specific, Google Chrome 37.0 on Windows now uses DirectWrite instead of GDI to render fonts with hardware acceleration (which in turn also requires Direct2D). On other platforms, Chrome still uses the OS' equivalent of GDI.

Chrome 37.0 also fixed over 50 critical security vulnerabilities, just in case you wanted to know.
forart

Post by forart »

Uhm ...and what about Chromium ? I believe ROS could have better "exchange" with its team !

Official website: http://www.chromium.org/Home
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Direct2D/Write is not existant on XP/2k3.

Oddjob64

Post by Oddjob64 »

That reminds me, Google Chrome is not going to be compatible with Windows XP after April 2015.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Oddjob64 wrote:That reminds me, Google Chrome is not going to be compatible with Windows XP after April 2015.
:shock:

So, sooner or later, we'll have to pretend we're win7? :P
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Oddjob64 wrote:That reminds me, Google Chrome is not going to be compatible with Windows XP after April 2015.
So they are going to drop Server 2003 even before its EOL. :(
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Luckily we are NOT Windows XP, we are Windows 2003 SP1 ^^

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:
Luckily we are NOT Windows XP, we are Windows 2003 SP1 ^^
That said, it's only a postponement of execution, as we are all aware.

Sooner or later, we'll have to pretend to be something else (win7?), or otherwise a lot of new programs might not install anymore.
Oddjob64

Post by Oddjob64 »

EmuandCo wrote:Luckily we are NOT Windows XP, we are Windows 2003 SP1 ^^
Do you really think Google is going to keep supporting Windows Server 2003 after they drop support for Windows XP? Most vendors don't even consider Windows Server in their support lifecycle. It's not meant to be used for web browsing anyway.

Usually, when a vendor says they are no longer going to support Windows XP, it means their software will only run on Windows NT 6.0+.

And I don't think having NT 5.2 report itself as NT 6.1 would help at that point.

Note that Windows NT 5.2 Service Pack 1 can also stand for Windows XP x64 Edition SP1.

(P.S. But yeah, Chrome is going to stop providing updates for Server 2003 before Internet Explorer 6 :?)