[Community Edition]The 3 Top Most Voted apps are...

ReactOS related news

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: [Community Edition]The 3 Top Most Voted apps are...

Post by Webunny »

Oddjob64 wrote:
EmuandCo wrote:Luckily we are NOT Windows XP, we are Windows 2003 SP1 ^^
Do you really think Google is going to keep supporting Windows Server 2003 after they drop support for Windows XP? Most vendors don't even consider Windows Server in their support lifecycle. It's not meant to be used for web browsing anyway.

Usually, when a vendor says they are no longer going to support Windows XP, it means their software will only run on Windows NT 6.0+.

And I don't think having NT 5.2 report itself as NT 6.1 would help at that point.

Note that Windows NT 5.2 Service Pack 1 can also stand for Windows XP x64 Edition SP1.

(P.S. But yeah, Chrome is going to stop providing updates for Server 2003 before Internet Explorer 6 :?)
Depends on how much it actually uses stuff that ain't in XP anymore.

A lot of progs just check for it, but once 'satisfied', they'll run just fine. Of course, as time goes by, this will lessen, but for the short run, it's probably not a bad idea to pretend we're a bit 'higher'. There is already a thread on that subject for acting as SP2, for instance.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

What about a Compatibility mode feature similar to the Windows feature but you could not only pretend to be older versions but newer versions also.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Humm, I like the idea: clean and simple :!: Of course one need to think about the implementation.
alexei

Post by alexei »

1. Java SE Runtime Environment 7 (Update 55?)
2. Google Chrome 35.0
3. Microsoft Word 2010
That makes me sad.
Do they have Java enabled in browser?
Do they like tabbed browsing and being spied on?
Do they like ribbons?
What are these people?
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

I also didn't notice any work for compatibility with these programs. Has the work been stopped?
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

ctasan wrote:I also didn't notice any work for compatibility with these programs. Has the work been stopped?
Good question. Last I heard they were going to implement a hack so some progs would think the version is ok, and install. Which, if for the rest those programs work, I think a tolerable hack.

But that has been a while, indeed.

Come to think of it... vicmarcal is nowhere to be seen lately on this forum. Maybe he's solely concentrating on the other website, or maybe something happened and he quit or has less time?

Or maybe he's preparing a new IGG? :-)
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Some revisions ago, last week, some commits regarding chrome happened. Java compatibility is almost there since some months. Office is the thing which needs the "hack" as it needs SP2 and we target sp1. So the work is heavily going on. For some parts there are things to be fixed which doesn't belong to this apps on the first view but the obvious fixes rely on them.
stromberg

Post by stromberg »

Thought this is the german area here?
Nein ich bin nicht die Signatur. Ich mache hier nur sauber...
k_digi

Post by k_digi »

alexei wrote:
1. Java SE Runtime Environment 7 (Update 55?)
2. Google Chrome 35.0
3. Microsoft Word 2010
That makes me sad.
Do they have Java enabled in browser?
Do they like tabbed browsing and being spied on?
Do they like ribbons?
What are these people?
Looks to me like someone was playing a joke everyone knows Java is basically a virus and Chome (Google = NSA)
i'd say that it was just a 'Spam' Vote - for a browser i'd say :

- Opera (seems up and coming)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nope. These votes are valid and are respected by our devs. Saying that java is just a virus expresses only one thing. Fanatism and lack of knowledge. Same for the other stupid comment regarding Chrome. I have no problem with freedom of speech here, but be careful from now on or your trip to these forums will be shortened by the mods like me!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...