Well done on setting up the Git mirror!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mr_moose

Well done on setting up the Git mirror!

Post by mr_moose »

Hi all -

A very big "well done!" to all involved in setting up the ReactOS Git mirror - great to see!
I very much prefer Git to SVN, so being able to grab the code so easily is really good!
Keep up the good work!
mr_moose

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Well done on setting up the Git mirror!

Post by EmuandCo »

I still dont see a reason for using GIT instead of my TSVN, but as anyone prefers...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

I personally prefer Mercurial over GIT, but any DVCS is better than running entirely SVN. Mainly because current DVCSes seem to be optimized for fairly large projects, while SVN and others seem to be optimized for smaller stuff. This is probably not true, but that is my experience. I usually have to wait a couple hours before I can even START downloading from the SVN server, but Mercurial (which I used to import the git repo and then manage it from my desktop, which is Windows based) can transfer files quickly and handle requests in a snap.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Interesting. We were considering a Mercurial repo instead of Git, but kept running into problems converting, whether it be directly from SVN or from Git then to Hg.

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Z98 wrote:Interesting. We were considering a Mercurial repo instead of Git, but kept running into problems converting, whether it be directly from SVN or from Git then to Hg.
My version of Mercurial is pretty old, (0.9.x), so I think the SVN support may be better in the latest versions of Mercurial.

On the Mercurial site on Working with Subversion, hgsvn and hgsubversion both have a good featureset for SVN support, especially if you only want to have mirror that devs would not contribute to.

So it seems that conversion support is a lot better than before. I would recommend that you would switch entirely to Mercurial instead of just mirroring it, since Mercurial does have a VC integration plugin, TortoiseHG, Eclipse integration plugin, and support within Sun Netbeans IDE. I honestly am not aware of any reasons to continue to use SVN as the primary source repository, and Mercurial can be locked down just like SVN can. On a project I work on, Enano CMS, we have Mercurial locked down using the Shared SSH method.