USB Mouse/Keyboard RUNS FINE with Boot CD on ROS 0.3.7

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildschwein

USB Mouse/Keyboard RUNS FINE with Boot CD on ROS 0.3.7

Post by wildschwein » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:31 am

Hey there,

continued my test, please read my other test results on an PIII Gericom laptop that i posted to "Support" Sub-Forum.

I guess this is the better place to post my testing results, isn't it ?

This time i tested on an IBM R50e Laptop, (Pentium Celeron M, 1,4 GHz, 512 MB RAM)

Better sayed, I expected that I couldn't test, because my USB Mouse and USB Keyboard would't work.

THEY BOTH WORKED FINE, even connected by a USB-HUB to my Laptop ! How could that be ?
I thought, that USB support isn't implemented yet ?

No other USB-Device worked, not even the build in Harddisk. When I tested on my Gericom Laptop
(old laptop build about 1999, PIII, 128 MB RAM) the extern PS2 Mouse didn't work (even if she works on Windows) but the internal Harddisk could be accessed from ROS ! I even could start some Windows Programms. (Please read my detailed report in "Support" Sub-Forum).

I guess, this can be explained because my IBM Laptops Harddrive is a SATA-Drive, while Gericom Laptops Harddisk is a "good, old" IDE-Harddrive. What do ROS experts say ?

Because I couldn't access my Harddrive I coulnd' test some Programms. So i played around in the menus, but ROS was stable.

FUNNY BUG FOUND ! In the Calculator there is a bug, with Faculty-Calculation (x!)
Normaly it goes.
1 2 6 24 120 720 5040.....
ROS' Calculator says: 1 2 6 24 12 72 504
Aha, did you get it ? If result is greater than 100, a Zero at the end is missing !

Found this bug, by playing around, surely no problem to correct it.

Another point is, that the Menu-Point "Programms" first was accessible, but didn't show any Programms.
Then after trying to select it again, it turned to GRAY, and was no longer selectible...
So I started some Programms with Explorer. All worked fine.

Found casual the ROSDEMO, where all the names of Developers popped in Textmode over the screen. SWEET :-)
This names will went to all HISTORY BOOKS all over the world, as beginning of the ruin of the microsoft-empire !

ROS Experts, is there a possiblity to get the PS2 mouse to run, on the Gericom Laptop ?
Because there I have access to Harddrive, so I am thinking of installing ROS on this Harddrive.
But testing without mouse, only with the touch-pad is no so convenient

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: USB Mouse/Keyboard RUNS FINE with Boot CD on ROS 0.3.7

Post by vicmarcal » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:15 pm

hi wildschwein,
thanks testing in a such heavy way :D

I´m not an expert but i think i can help u a bit.

Your HDD problems, u are right ;)...SATA hdd isnt supported yet...but we are near..(you can find a trick in Forum,use "Search" button, to make some,not all,HDD SATA works).
This is the reason why one HDD (the oldest) works but the other (SATA one) doesnt work :(

About ur USB mouse ;):
Some motherboards have USB support, so USB as mouse and keyboard should work. (something called USB emulation?)You can find ,among the "My usb doesnt Work" threads, one explaining why some motherboards can work with USB. (There you will find a Real-Full explanation)

About ur PS2 it´s really odd,since Ps2 is fully supported.Maybe is it a PS2-USB converter? I mean, you see a PS2 outside, but really is a USB port with a PS2 converter?...Check it :)

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Thank you for your tipps.

I will follow them.

My idea why PS2 mouse isn't working. It's a REAL PS2 Mouse, without a converter.

But perhaps it's INTERNAL converted to USB. This old gericom Laptop has only ONE USB Port, a fact over that I was wondering all the time, because windows device manager says, that there are 2 USB Ports !

SdC

Post by SdC » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:15 pm

In the BIOS of the PC, if there is a setting for "USB Legacy Mode", and it is switched to "Enabled", that will convert the USB signal to a PS/2 signal for the OS; the OS will only see PS/2 mouse-keyboard.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:42 pm

wildschwein wrote:But perhaps it's INTERNAL converted to USB. This old gericom Laptop has only ONE USB Port, a fact over that I was wondering all the time, because windows device manager says, that there are 2 USB Ports !
That´s the same i tried to say you (an Internal conversion) with:
wildschwein wrote:I mean, you see a PS2 outside, but really is a USB port with a PS2 converter?

:D