Suggestions for default programs in ROS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

X-Master

Suggestions for default programs in ROS

Post by X-Master »

Hello everyone,

here I want to mention some suggestions for default (built-in) programs in ReactOS!

Suggestions for already existing programs:

1. Explorer:
- Two panel view would be great (well-known from some file managers and also Win 7 will offer this)
- Support for tabs
- Thumbnail view for imags and movies
- Secure deletion function (for sensitive data)
- built-in image viewer with basic functions (like the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer")
- minmalistic CD/DVD-recording ability

Suggestions for programs, which aren't currently existent, but should be implemented into a later version:

2. Defrag program
- with scheduler

3. Firewall

4. Partition manager
- Ability to create new partition from unused disk space + delete existing partitions
- Possibility to change the letter and description of a partition
- Option to resize an existing partition
- and the ability to format a partition of course

Suggestions for programs, which aren't currently existent, but could be implemented into a later version:

5. ReactOS Paint ?

6. ReactOS MovieMaker ?

7. ReactOS MediaPlayer?

It would be great to get any feedback about that topic and my suggestions.

Thank you!

GoBusto

Re: Suggestions for default programs in ROS

Post by GoBusto »

7. ReactOS MediaPlayer?
See this thread.
6. ReactOS MovieMaker ?
To my knowledge, this has not been discussed before, but I get the feeling that it'll get the same response that the Media Player idea got (EDIT: see this post, for example).
5. ReactOS Paint ?
This has been discussed before (EDIT: here is the thread) and I believe that some sort of mspaint clone is in the works.
Last edited by GoBusto on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

A movie maker would be far beyond the scope of this project, not to mention it wouldn't be a blocker to setting up the system. Neither it nor the media player are likely to get any closer than maybe a link in Download, at least in the releases we make.

X-Master

Post by X-Master »

Thanks for your replies!

I have to say, that I also believe, that a MovieMaker would be far beyond the scope.

Btw: What's about a built-in document viewer for PDF?
All operating systems offer a standard built-in program for this, just Windows doesn't.

SdC

Post by SdC »

X-Master wrote:... just Windows doesn't.
You've answered your own question ;)

X-Master

Post by X-Master »

Well, Windows =! ROS :)

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

X-Master wrote:Well, Windows =! ROS :)
ReactOS = Windows - ( bells + whistles )

The devs want to keep ReactOS as bare, simple and compact as possible, to the point where it will not even have a bundled Internet browser or Media Player (both of which are included in most versions of Windows), so having something that does not pass the Windows-Has-It™ test is unlikely to be included with the system itself.

However, ReactOS will have the "Download!" program that will allow you to select and install any optional, third-party components (such as a PDF viewer) via the Internet. Also, ReactOS distro CDs will probably be created once the OS is mature enough, and these will have extra software included with a default installation.

As for WHY the devs don't want to include any surplus software, see the Media Player thread that I linked to above or any thread containing the word "Firefox" - but, in brief:

1) Less software means that ReactOS is smaller to download.
2) Less software means less space is needed to install the OS.
3) You can't please everyone. If, for example, Firefox was included as the default web browser, K-Meleon and Opera advocates would be unhappy.
4) Not everyone will need such things as media players or PDF viewers and it would be annoying to have to uninstall a whole load of programs right after you have just installed the OS.
5) Developers would rather focus on core things (such as kernel development) instead of getting side-tracked by working on Windows Movie Maker and Windows Media Player clones.

SdC

Post by SdC »

GoBusto, that's a good explanation that can be copied/pasted every time this question pops up! :)

BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

Yup with red capital letters ;)

cppm

Post by cppm »

Anyone like the idea of an applications suggestions FAQ (wiki?) which can be linked to whenever this subject rears it's ugly head...?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

There is such a FAQ in the General Discussion section. However, these aren't really suggestions as they are requests, as no program itself is being suggested. Instead people are asking for an application.

X-Master

Post by X-Master »

Finally, I agree with you!

Some program implementations would just bloat the operating system and secondly, there are more important things to do (relating to the operating system itself).

But what do you think about my suggestions for the Explorer and the other programs ( Firewall, Defragmentation tool with scheduler, Partition Manager)?

z180

Post by z180 »

the defragmenter engine is build in the IFS drivers,which allows that every supported IFS type could be defragmented.
But no one succeded in the ReactOS project writing this part of the fs driver yet.
Also a gui or text mode interface to the defragmenter needs to be done.

I think a Firewall should be seperately downloaded,because not many people surf with reactos and
someone need to write it and the developers should work on basic parts that need work.
Also someone could ressurect a C written ibrowser.exe or port a smaller browser.

reakt100

Post by reakt100 »

X-Master wrote:Finally, I agree with you!

Some program implementations would just bloat the operating system and secondly, there are more important things to do (relating to the operating system itself).

But what do you think about my suggestions for the Explorer and the other programs ( Firewall, Defragmentation tool with scheduler, Partition Manager)?
How often do you repartition your drives? Do you know a free or at least a freeware partition manager running in Windows?
You probably know, that a problem during repartitioning may cause severe data loss. I would not dare to run a partition manager under ReactOS until 2015. Anyway there is Gparted LiveCd and LiveUSB.
People would never agree which THE BEST browser is, THE BEST media player, audio player, etc.
And afer all, as GoBusto said "ReactOS distro CDs will probably be created once the OS is mature enough".
I'd like a distro without Minesweeper and the card game ;)
Well, I have to agree with you that a distro without a defragmentation tool will be a bad idea.

X-Master

Post by X-Master »

"Do you know a free or at least a freeware partition manager running in Windows?"

Windows own partition manager program?
Since Vista, it also supports partition resizing.

I would say, that the general ability to create, delete and format partitions is one of the more important things, because this gives the user the ability to install and organize the system.