integrates cairo shell into reactos

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pomket2

integrates cairo shell into reactos

Post by pomket2 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:56 am

Hi, I'm recently find a new project called Cairo Shell. This project claims to makes an alternative shell for Windows XP/Vista...

I belive that is possible to talk with Cairo Shell's development team to use this shell exclusive in ReactOS

The project it's in alpha status

more information: http://www.cairoshell.com/

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Fri May 23, 2008 12:52 pm

Will Cairo be free?

Cairo will be freeware, which means we will not require a fee for using our software. However, Cairo is closed source and not available for duplication.
How do you propose to circumvent that?

pomket2

Post by pomket2 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:11 pm

I belive that cairo shell is a project with a entusiast and great developers that prettend to make a popular/great shell. Yes Win32 systems are populars...

But is not more gratifying to make a full alternative OS to win32?

I belive that yes. I belive that the cairo shell team is possibly making a good shell. And I belive that Cairo Shell get shine with all of his intensity on ReactOS..
Goals

The Cairo Development Team has a simple goal: to redefine the desktop experience. No longer is it a matter of using your computer for spreadsheets and internet browsing. The world of computing has transformed over the last decade to become the center of people's lives. In order to bring the Windows environment into the twenty-first century, Cairo will focus on advancing age old standards while forging new ones. Guided by fundamental design principles and attention to every detail, it is our hope that Cairo impacts the way people use their computers and literally changes the face of an aging environment; never get lost in a sea of windows again.

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Fri May 23, 2008 1:42 pm

Hello all ..
1-The thing is that the present ReactOS shell "will" remain the default shell for ReactOS according to the developers ..
2-You are always free to install any other shell on ReactOS just like on Windows..(includes the Cairo shell here)
3-I looked at the site and it clearly states that it is closed source and ReactOS does not accept anything but GPL compatible code in the SVN ..

So .. most prolly Cairo will not be the default shell .. but again .. it remains your choice to decide what to use ..
Regards GreyGhost

fred02

Re: integrates cairo shell into reactos

Post by fred02 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:05 am

pomket2 wrote:I belive that is possible to talk with Cairo Shell's development team to use this shell exclusive in ReactOS
Would be pointless: it is written in C#
pomket2 wrote:The project it's in alpha status
Given that, still non existent and indefinitely delayed XP support and impossibility to run .NET on ROS on the other hand, I would look for other shell alternatives and forget about this one.