Portuguese Government Orders Open Sauce On Older Computers

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Portuguese Government Orders Open Sauce On Older Computers

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Thought I should share. The Portuguese government is not intending to renew licenses for Microsoft software installed on older computers, ordering them to use open source alternatives. Relevance to ReactOS should be obvious.

http://news.techeye.net/software/spanis ... -computers
Last edited by vicmarcal on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to reflect it is the Portuguese government,not the Spanish one :)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Spanish Government Orders Open Sauce On Older Computers

Post by vicmarcal »

Portuguese :)
But yes, there is a big push in Europe towards Free OSes
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

News doesnt talk about Spanish government, but Portugese....
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

elhoir wrote:News doesnt talk about Spanish government, but Portugese....
Seems it's an error in the newspaper.
http://news.techeye.net/software/spanis ... -computers
Maybe they corrected the news after publishing.
PS: Why a dead rat appears in that article?
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I assume it's a vole.
According to the Publico magazine the government has decided that it will not renew licences to use Voleware on 50,000 computers which were distributed between 2004 and 2007.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Open Sauce? ROFLMAO! Yes, I can see the relevance to us. They are switching to Linux, but they could just as easily switch to Reactos if we let them know we exist.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Offtopic. This has nothing to do with ReactOS directly.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Haos wrote:Offtopic. This has nothing to do with ReactOS directly.
May be a moderator could move it there then?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

We should still contact their government and let them know we exist. Stories like this are opportunities for us to put in plugs and be heard. Too bad we didn't get to them sooner. If we can run on older computers and without oppressive license schemes, then we are what they need. We are open source, and if they can switch to Linux, they can switch to us. So it is more relevant than what first meets the eye.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

whooops, filed in the wrong forum. Shows you how often I use the forums really. =(
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

PurpleGurl wrote:
We should still contact their government and let them know we exist. Stories like this are opportunities for us to put in plugs and be heard. Too bad we didn't get to them sooner. If we can run on older computers and without oppressive license schemes, then we are what they need. We are open source, and if they can switch to Linux, they can switch to us. So it is more relevant than what first meets the eye.
I'm from Portugal. I can assure you that such a thing is impossible. Most of the schools here already run GNU/Linux (which doesn't mean anyone effectively uses it). Our ignorant government doesn't care at all about ReactOS, software, or the people. What they want is their money, pronto. Millions would be spent to force all schools to install an incomplete OS (it isn't going to install itself, nor will compatibility be checked), and we are at a severe crisis right now. Even if a contact would be made only to inform this country of the existence of ReactOS, I can also assure you that it would be forgotten pretty darn fast and ignored.

Sure, you can try, but I'd rather not deal with my country's "head-masters-of-glory-elected-by-40%-of-the-country". What *COULD* be done would be to get to IT universities and spread the word: most of them host many FLOSS repositories and I'm sure that many people would be interested in studying and contributing to ReactOS (many people need a PhD or even a masters and they tend to follow these "trends"). Talking to people who can understand what ReactOS is and what it stands for: Yes. Talking to the government: No, no no.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

jorl17 wrote: Talking to people who can understand what ReactOS is and what it stands for: Yes. Talking to the government: No, no no.
At any rate, this thread is more for general interest than a call-to-action.
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

Lone_Rifle wrote:
jorl17 wrote: Talking to people who can understand what ReactOS is and what it stands for: Yes. Talking to the government: No, no no.
At any rate, this thread is more for general interest than a call-to-action.
Sure, but I thought I should try to give you an overview of how things are and aren't in here. Just my 2 cents.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

jorl17 wrote:Sure, but I thought I should try to give you an overview of how things are and aren't in here. Just my 2 cents.
I appreciated the overview from someone who knows the culture. I wasn't sure if we had the opportunity to persuade them to consider ReactOS. So then if we targeted anyone there, it would be those in higher education, and maybe the media. Mentioning to those in government wouldn't hurt, but from what you said, it sounds like it wouldn't do much good either. So we should put our energy more into what does work.
Haos
Test Team

Re: Portuguese Government Orders Open Sauce On Older Compute

Post by Haos »

Consider ReactOS for? If you want to promote any product, you gotta have the product first.