WinRT new api for WIN8 and ROS?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: WinRT new api for WIN8 and ROS?

Post by EmuandCo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:35 pm

And that's what I am afraid of...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Ryllus15z

Post by Ryllus15z » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:04 am

I don't want to be rude with this, but they (I refer to Microsoft people) don't have any right to make us use the metro ui. I really don't like the Aero UI and the Metro UI. I prefer Luna UI (Windows XP) or the older windows UI (like the 98 style). In my opinion, Microsoft wants to vaunt with appearance than with functionality and ease.

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:12 pm

They have that right, cause it's their OS.

naums

Post by naums » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:25 pm

if they want to they could put a download key for the windows OS within a cardboard box and sell it as "windows".

Ryllus15z

Post by Ryllus15z » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:12 am

Ok, they have that right, but that doesn't mean that the people is obligated to use the Metro or Aero UI. There are many ways to modify a GUI, I mean, to feel more comfortable and work better with it.

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:46 am

Ryllus15z wrote:but that doesn't mean that the people is obligated to use the Metro or Aero UI.
Yea, people have the right to not use Windows - but good luck with that. I've been there multiple times before. Microsoft will make it painful for people to not use what Microsoft wants them to use. I guarantee you at launch they will have all kinds of "Metro" apps, some of which do something some people NEED. And anyone not using the same thing won't be able to interoperate. Even if there is some configuration to not use Metro, new versions of MS applications will complain bitterly that you have to enable it, or just force it back on. And they will get third parties on the Metro bandwagon using various "incentives". And at launch the TV will be droning propaganda-esq advertising convincing people that this junk is somehow magic and the best thing since sliced bread.

It's Internet Explorer 4 all over again.

And you have no idea how afraid end users are of changing default settings. I have heard from people who honestly believed they would lose functionality if they disabled the themes in Windows XP. :x

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:28 am

hi
Microsoft will make it painful for people to not use what Microsoft wants them to use. I guarantee you at launch they will have all kinds of "Metro" apps, some of which do something some people NEED
me not going to happen i whas still using windows 98 for a long time up to 2004 maybe more or less i cannot remember and now i am using windows xp sp3 and i am still going to use windows xp up to April 8, 2014
Microsoft will make it painful for people to not use what Microsoft wants
so if that was true then why are there not many games that are directx 10 /11 only ?? i am a gamer and Microsoft wants me to update to windows vista or windows 7 and i am still using windows xp sp3

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:28 am

MadWolf wrote:
Microsoft will make it painful for people to not use what Microsoft wants
so if that was true then why are there not many games that are directx 10 /11 only ?? i am a gamer and Microsoft wants me to update to windows vista or windows 7 and i am still using windows xp sp3
Well, in the first place, MS doesn't develop all the games. In the second place, the game developers needs to be able to actually sell the games, and make them require DirectX 10/11 means they'll require a better graphics card too, which means their market will be effectively reduced. They loss every person with a less powerful gfx card, like me. My card supports only up to OpenGL 3.2, which is roughly Direct X 10.1 IIRC. That means, I wouldn't but a game which forces me to use DX11, until a few years from now, when I buy a new box. And, obviously, they will lose every people who didn't want to upgrade their Windows. I still use XP (mostly because I'm too lazy to buy 7 and install it, except in one of my boxes which I'm not sure if will be able to even run it decently).

fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Some info I come to think finds relevance here (if I'm wrong, delete the post, I don't mind):
http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihna ... omise.html
TL;DR: There are people who have high regards for Metro and bring arguments as such. The author is an Apple-tech user.

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 pm

hi
I did not know that Windows 8 Consumer Preview whas out

i do not have a tablet computer but i tried one in a shop that was running windows 7 i did not like it the icons where to small and that made clicking on items in the start menu was annoying you click to start Notepad but Paint opens

windows 8 maybe beter for tablet computer than windows 7 but not for a desktop computer that has a mouse and keybord imho windows 8 needs to be renamed to windows tablet edition

Ryllus15z

Post by Ryllus15z » Sat May 05, 2012 6:47 am

I agree with you MadWolf. Windows 8 (or "Energy", according to some external fonts) is more functional in a tablet than in a PC. In fact, it should have two editions (correct me if I'm wrong) for Win8: the Desktop/Portable edition and the Tablet edition; and with Portable I'm referring to use with laptops, notebooks or netbooks.

Note: Sorry for this, but to the people who don't like (or want) to use the Metro or Aero appearance you can either use the old classical appearance (not Vista standard or Basic) or use Classic Shell (freeware).