3D drivers (OpenGL) for Reactos

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrugiero

Re: 3D drivers (OpenGL) for Reactos

Post by mrugiero »

EmuandCo, I do not think calling "braindead" people who doesn't share your views is extremely polite. They do have a pretty extreme view, and they do have reasons to. These reasons could be valid or invalid depending on your personal beliefs, but have nothing to do with being bright or an idiot.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Didnt I just say, back to topic??!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Both sides, back off, now. EmuandCo, careful with your language, I know you tend to have very strong emotions, but try to keep them in check as a moderator. Everyone else, please refrain from digging this issue back up. DOSGuy, if you do come back to read the previous messages, you can contact me via PM if you wish to discuss this further.

Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i remember you guys telling to try keep a professional image on the forums, i think it's time for me to tell you the same thing mate this is the internet after all.
by EmuandCo » 03 Aug 2013 15:18

ConductiveDielectric wrote:Closed-source OpenGL wrapper? In ReactOS?! Nice.

> Why is opening the source not an option for you?
> money

Oh, great! Go make a lot of money! But please, stop spamming here. This community has absolutely no interest in your "free" project. Thank you.

Interesting, how you with your 4 posts dare to speak for the whole community. Even more interesting how you dare to insult others in the name of the community with your friggin 4 posts!
This is the last time I will say that somewhere in the forums before I smash the banhammer into some sorry faces! We are no braindead GNU project yelling around that commercial software is the devil! Commercial support is what makes most software big and successful. Same counts for the uber great Linux community! Without commercial funds Linux would be such a dead project since ages already! ReactOS is here to support closed software If you did not realize yet! Nothing else would give ROS a reason to exist! And now BACK to topic! If you wanna discuss that, then do not dare to do that here! I have some sort of allergic reaction regarding thread hijacking! Open a new off topic post to tear me apart I you want that badly.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Yeah yeah, I went a bit too far, but I cant stand that behavior. Just for my sorry excuse. So, now pleeease back to topic, OK?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

ConductiveDielectric

Post by ConductiveDielectric »

Subject: 3D drivers (OpenGL) for Reactos
Interesting, how you with your 4 posts dare to speak for the whole community. Even more interesting how you dare to insult others in the name of the community with your friggin 4 posts!
I'm not a newbie here - I learned about ROS four years ago (in 2009, when it was 0.3.11). I lost password for my original account, so I had to create a new one. Obviously, my post counter has a low number now.
This is the last time I will say that somewhere in the forums before I smash the banhammer into some sorry faces! [...] If you wanna discuss that, then do not dare to do that here! I have some sort of allergic reaction regarding thread hijacking! Open a new off topic post to tear me apart I you want that badly.
I would never let myself say things like that in a public forum. Especially if I was a developer/moderator or had my real name posted somewhere on the website: http://code.reactos.org/user/emuandco.
We are no braindead GNU project yelling around that commercial software is the devil! Commercial support is what makes most software big and successful. Same counts for the uber great Linux community! Without commercial funds Linux would be such a dead project since ages already! ReactOS is here to support closed software If you did not realize yet! Nothing else would give ROS a reason to exist!
ReactOS is in alpha stage and, unfortunately, can be used only for "evaluation and testing purposes". There is an alternative "project" - MS Windows, which works better, but it is proprietary. Most of the people, I guess, are still here because the freedom is very important to them. They have interest in this project only and only because it is open source. If the freedom was not important to them, they would just switch to Windows and never come back here again. Therefore, I believe, I can say that this community has no interest in his closed-source project.

This is how I think about it: if you are getting money and/or users from the ReactOS community, you must contribute back by releasing code. Unfortunately, there is no license that requires you to do that but it is still morally wrong to use a project like ReactOS to make profit without contributing back.
So, now pleeease back to topic, OK?
Yes, I do not want to continue this side "conversation" here. If you want, you can send me a PM.

Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

by EmuandCo » 08 Aug 2013 06:45
Yeah yeah, I went a bit too far, but I cant stand that behavior. Just for my sorry excuse. So, now pleeease back to topic, OK?
O.K

Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

Ok, who cares, React OS has propietry software any way, yeah I am talking about IE. It is not like you guys cared about propietry software in the other topics, so why do it on this driver. Open GL does not need this driver, just make another one or port a Linux driver as they usaly are under GPL or have an GPL alternative. I am not a programer and you all know that. I would love to see Open GL on React OS or a clone of DirctX that is GPL like how React OS did with many of the NT parts. I don't care about your driver, why it does not come with React OS and I can't use it to play any of the games I like any way (The Sims). Now I heard many people sugest buying the rights to the code to put it in React OS. Now I don't care as it does not bother me. Now React OS should not be 100% Windows compatable as that mean it would have all of Windows viruses and malware as whell. Porting to React OS and not Windows should be done, and porting in general. If someone wants to port to React OS then why bag on them and create a lot of spam.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Linuxgamer94 wrote:Ok, who cares, React OS has propietry software any way, yeah I am talking about IE.
Are you suggesting that ReactOS includes a copy of IE?
Linuxgamer94 wrote:Now React OS should not be 100% Windows compatable as that mean it would have all of Windows viruses and malware as whell.
Being compatible with Windows malware is necessary for compatibility with Windows software. It's not as though there's a line in the sand that you can draw where you can make ReactOS compatible enough to run safe software but not compatible enough to run unsafe software. Any functionality that you intentionally exclude in order to prevent Windows viruses from working on ReactOS will inevitably prevent legitimate software from working on ReactOS as well. If you don't want to get viruses, install an antivirus program.
Linuxgamer94 wrote:Porting to React OS and not Windows should be done, and porting in general. If someone wants to port to React OS then why bag on them and create a lot of spam.
Nope, there should be no software that works on ReactOS and doesn't work on Windows or something has gone terribly wrong. Also, don't forget that writing software specifically for ReactOS wouldn't be a very good idea since ROS is an alpha-stage OS with a dozen commits per day. A program that works with the way ROS works in r59902 will probably stop working by r60015 when they fix whatever quirk you were relying on that allowed your program to work on ROS despite not working on Windows.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

The "copy" of internet explorer we have, if I can say, is the internet explorer of Wine: http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos?view ... sion=58803

mametoc

Post by mametoc »

After read all posts.

Sorry, but this "3D driver" might be useful to ROS tests/debugs?, or just a funny/curious app?.

Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

hbelusca wrote:The "copy" of internet explorer we have, if I can say, is the internet explorer of Wine: http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos?view ... sion=58803
Yes that. All os have a line in the sand that does not get crossed and React OS needs to draw one. React OS needs to make malware not compatable with React OS as if they find out they will just run away to another *ix platform and avoid React OS like a plege. This is a fact to reality that you just got to get used to. No one wants to go to an open source system that is supost to be secure that can get Windows viruses would be useless. Devlopers should not use the daily builds and just the main builds on the front of the site. Now I a going to back tp watching my movie and I am currently typeing this in a VM of React OS by the way.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

But how can they possibly make malware not work while allowing legitimate software to work? Even Microsoft can't do that!

If you're talking about creating a monitor for suspicious activity, that's what antivirus programs do. The ReactOS devs can't be expected to create their own built-in antivirus software, so just download any of the free AV programs that you like.

If you're talking about excluding functionality or blocking attempts at privileged access, there are lots of legitimate programs that require registry access and/or low-level access to hardware. Video drivers, antivirus programs, partition managers, memory dumping programs, uninstallers, registry cleaners, and all sorts of other programs for power users. Since power users are more likely to become ReactOS users, we really don't want block the programs that they want to use.

It's just not realistic that ReactOS can not be compatible with viruses while being fully compatible with legitimate software. No, people will not just run to Linux if ROS can get Windows viruses. They already have that option now, but they want a Windows-like OS. If I wanted to use Linux, I wouldn't care if ROS achieved its goals or not!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Linuxgamer94 wrote:
hbelusca wrote:The "copy" of internet explorer we have, if I can say, is the internet explorer of Wine: http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos?view ... sion=58803
Yes that. All os have a line in the sand that does not get crossed and React OS needs to draw one. React OS needs to make malware not compatable with React OS as if they find out they will just run away to another *ix platform and avoid React OS like a plege. This is a fact to reality that you just got to get used to. No one wants to go to an open source system that is supost to be secure that can get Windows viruses would be useless. Devlopers should not use the daily builds and just the main builds on the front of the site. Now I a going to back tp watching my movie and I am currently typeing this in a VM of React OS by the way.
Considering the absolute ignorance you are displaying regarding software development and your apparent unwillingness to listen to people that try to correct your misconceptions, why exactly would anyone on this project pay attention to anything you say?

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

DOSGuy wrote:But how can they possibly make malware not work while allowing legitimate software to work? Even Microsoft can't do that!

If you're talking about creating a monitor for suspicious activity, that's what antivirus programs do. The ReactOS devs can't be expected to create their own built-in antivirus software, so just download any of the free AV programs that you like.

If you're talking about excluding functionality or blocking attempts at privileged access, there are lots of legitimate programs that require registry access and/or low-level access to hardware. Video drivers, antivirus programs, partition managers, memory dumping programs, uninstallers, registry cleaners, and all sorts of other programs for power users. Since power users are more likely to become ReactOS users, we really don't want block the programs that they want to use.

It's just not realistic that ReactOS can not be compatible with viruses while being fully compatible with legitimate software. No, people will not just run to Linux if ROS can get Windows viruses. They already have that option now, but they want a Windows-like OS. If I wanted to use Linux, I wouldn't care if ROS achieved its goals or not!
At least we can fix known security holes to the extent the compatibility would not have broken like MS has been doing- and does.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2