3D drivers (OpenGL) for Reactos

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: 3D drivers (OpenGL) for Reactos

Post by vicmarcal »

Geri_lgfx wrote:My softwares does NOT infringing any licenses. This software does NOT infringing any licenses, becouse that would be impossible: every line is coded by myself. Please, in the future, do not slander me.

I have put this topic up, to know if this community needs this software, and not to argue on licenses.

After reading the commens, the peoples in this community not really would accept my software.
This means i will probably not spend time and energy on it to create a reactos compatible version, becouse probably there would be too few users, and the porting would not worth it.

I will make the final decide about this after a few days, after i have read the existing and upcoming oppinions about it.
Hi Geri,
I have understand perfectly what you want to do :)
But first let me tell you that if you want answers from ReactOS Board Official Members you should send your suggestions to our Developing Mailing List.The Forum isn't an Official way to communicate with the project.
For those who reply fast to him without reading or for those who are "supossing" before asking:
1)He is asking if we want a compatible ReactOS version of its product
2)He is NOT talking about creating a GPL license for it
3)He is NOT talking about INCLUDING by default his driver.

And no,he is not violating any GPL license if he has created the whole code.
Geri, if you want to collaborate with ReactOS, I again recommend you to send your proposal to our Mailing List: ros-dev@reactos.org

Geri, in ReactOS we have a "Reactos Downloader" used by the users to download free software as OpenOffice, Winrar,VLC,etc.We can include a new section for your ReactOS app.
If the app works in ReactOS you can include the "It works in ReactOS logo" in your website :)
And depending on the degree of collaboration maybe we can discuss about a "ReactOS Partner",but this is a PR idea still in Standby until it gets discussed in the next ReactOS meeting.

Special thanks to the Developers who have answered to this thread :)

This thread shows how much we REALLY NEED a PR Team working to handle these cases and avoiding "interferences" or "misunderstandings" ;)
ToM..MaS

Post by ToM..MaS »

Hey Geri_lgfx,

please don't let you annoy that fast - I'm sure ReactOS could benefit from your driver in one or the other way.

Don't get the discussion about licensing wrong. EVERY talk about adopting foreign code/software starts with a discussion about the license - in the professional business world just as well as in the open source world!

And the best for us would be a GPL compatible license because that would ensure that anyone in the ReactOS Team who is capable could also improve the driver and develop it further if you are not willing or capable. If this is not the case ReactOS can NOT fully rely on your driver because the only one who has control over it is you - we always would have to maintain an alternative to your driver.

Again, I think ReactOS could benefit from your driver and I would like to see it soon!
As I said before, we maybe could include your binary driver in our application download center - maybe that could be the option for us.

BTW, you can register for the mailing lists here: http://www.reactos.org/en/community_mailinglists.html

Kind regards and have a nice sunday!

Thomas

P.S.: What kind of honor - that we could give - can you imagine?
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

thanks for the replies,

please don't let you annoy that fast

i am not getting annoyed, just i want to be sure, if i spending energy on it, there will be users who download it at last :D

What kind of honor - that we could give - can you imagine?

i picked you on msn, we can talk about these things (however i think freeware worth it best for me)
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

i picked you on msn, we can talk about these things (however i think freeware worth it best for me)

hmm, oops, that wasnt you...
(fuckin subspace anomalies)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@Geri_lgfx

First of all, please share your goal. There is a distinct difference between adding your driver to ReactOS codebase and simply running it on ROS. If the first case, there are certain restrictions, that are not negotiable, as open-sourcing the module and using one of the accepted licenses for it. In the latter case, you are free to set up your own rules. Without knowing what you're intending to do, its hard to discuss it.
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

hi, my goal is ,,simply running it on ROS'' ofc
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Geri_lgfx wrote:My softwares does NOT infringing any licenses. This software does NOT infringing any licenses, becouse that would be impossible: every line is coded by myself. Please, in the future, do not slander me.

I have put this topic up, to know if this community needs this software, and not to argue on licenses.

After reading the commens, the peoples in this community not really would accept my software.
This means i will probably not spend time and energy on it to create a reactos compatible version, becouse probably there would be too few users, and the porting would not worth it.

I will make the final decide about this after a few days, after i have read the existing and upcoming oppinions about it.
Even if you code it yourself, you could be unknowingly infringing. Sure, independent invention can be an argument against a copyright claim. There are only so many ways to code some things. But that isn't the issue. The issue is patents. Not knowing about a certain patent is no legal protection. The Doom game ran into that by accident. They came up with a graphics algorithm on their own that Creative Labs already owned and used it, not knowing there would be any trouble. They coded it themselves and hadn't read about Creative's proprietary information.

So it means we have to be careful, even with our own code, that we don't accidentally violate patent rights of others. I've mentioned the LFN licensing before and how we need to be careful since we are using that technology. So we don't want to do this with drivers either. That is where open source is good, since if someone unknowingly stepped onto a patent in their drivers or whatever, the problem can be found quickly and dealt with.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

well, i am sure reactos infringing at over9000 microsoft property, so stop using it becouse you maybee get sued. go away.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Geri_lgfx: Rule 1 of code of conduct, keep things civil.

PurpleGurl: Please stop going off on these tangents.
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

(sorry for being a bit aggressive at these days, some of my real-life friends have serious problems in they private life, and i cant help on them)
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Haos wrote:I`ll point Kamil to this thread, he is way more into the topic than me. Just wondering if this software renderer speedup is mostly due to using mutiple CPU/cores? In any way, a faster alternative to mesa would always be welcome warmly.
Also, mesa is dropping Windows support. That means, if I understood it correctly, no ReactOS support either for any mesa release newer than 7.11.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Z98 wrote:Geri_lgfx: Rule 1 of code of conduct, keep things civil.

Sorry.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

PurpleGurl wrote:
Z98 wrote:Geri_lgfx: Rule 1 of code of conduct, keep things civil.

That is who I am, and I am tired of people who cannot accept 100% as I already am. If you don't like who I am and cannot accept be as I am, I might as well stop all involvement with Reactos. It was no tangent as you accused. I merely shared as an important part of the main theme that we have to be careful of stepping into patent law. Goodbye.
Hi PurpleGurl!
We accept you as you 100% are, but you have to accept our 100% Forum rules too.
There is a rule about keeping in Topic. And the Topic is about a possible partnership/collaboration with a 3rd party,not about licensing :).That's the "tagent" Zwabbit pointed.

Geri,about your rude answer,keep the good mood.We all have problems in the real life,big problems really.Anyway,thanks for your apologies :)

Again, I recommend you to use the Official way to contact this project: The Mailing List.Until now you have felt offended by 2 or 3 answers coming from non-Board-Official members.Keep using thid thread,instead the "Official Contact way" and you will find yourself feeling offended again.

Also we have a "Contact Us" section that you can use instead the Mailing List to contact us too.

If you want to continue using Forum, then at least keep an eye in the kind of member is answering you: Orange(Developers), Green(TestTeam),LightBlue(Moderator Team), these are (most of them) ReactOS Official Board members.You will find that their answers usually are not offensive unless a misreading or misunderstanding(they are humans too) happens ;)

About your project:
Currently and thanks to the new Network rewrite a lot of users are using and playing muliplayer games via Internet with those old games: Quake2,UT,CS,etc..
I think it could be quite useful for,and used by,them(me included) :)

http://www.reactos.org/en/contact.html
forart

Post by forart »

Geri_lgfx wrote:well, i am sure reactos infringing at over9000 microsoft property, so stop using it becouse you maybee get sued. go away.
Right. XviD infringes MPEG-LA patents too.

But they're both GPL, so the unique risk is the end of binary distribution (as XviD aready does).

Closed source and for-profit attitudes means that patent holders can really destroy your life.

Have you heard about this story ?

RealNetworks Destroys Man's Life for Linking to Real Alternative

BTW, remaining ontopic, if you just want to let your software run on ROS you *shouldn't* do anything else than let it work under Windows: ROS is *supposed to be* 100% Windows compatible !
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

forart wrote:
BTW, remaining ontopic, if you just want to let your software run on ROS you *shouldn't* do anything else than let it work under Windows: ROS is *supposed to be* 100% Windows compatible !
Interesting link Forart :), but yes please, let's all keep on Topic from now just to avoid "tangenting" the thread, as usually (something normal btw) happens.