ReactOS built in C# (crazy idea)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

rosfanatic

ReactOS built in C# (crazy idea)

Post by rosfanatic »

Imagine using Cosmos (see gocosmos.org) to enable building ReactOS in a higher level language (C#) which is then converted into assembly etc. I sure it's impossible but don't have the knowledge to even discuss it, but how wild would it be to be able to write a whole OS in that way ;) (or maybe just the non-kernel parts, etc)

Good article on cosmos at codeproject- http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/CosmosMS5.aspx
.NET MVC web project- subdomain custom mapping, ie: bank of america and chase bank locations and now an ASP.Net Core based pokemon app at pokefind
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: ReactOS built in C# (crazy idea)

Post by EmuandCo »

What for? Why using a slow jit crap language instead of fast and clean assembler and c?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Your thoughts betray you, young Daniel. :P
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

This idea is illogical and I have no idea, why this should be done anyway...
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

[color=#FF9900]EmuandCo[/color] wrote: Why using a slow jit crap language […]
According to their website, it's compiled into machine code.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

OK, but even then.... why??
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

But won't this cause possible licensing conflicts? I mean, doesn't MS own it and could, if they want, pull the rights or require substantial royalties at any point in time? Better to use an older language which nobody officially owns.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Oh, the distinguished "I don't like it, so it is rubbish" attitude, never failing to gain public sympathy for those expressing it... :roll:
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Aeneas, could you give us any logical reason, why ReactOS should complicate their work, by porting entire project to C# etc.?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Aeneas wrote:Oh, the distinguished "I don't like it, so it is rubbish" attitude, never failing to gain public sympathy for those expressing it... :roll:
So you like c# and other jit crap? We should open another thread to discuss this more intensively...

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I meant that an idea can be rejected without the initial suggester having to feel at fault for making it, or else he might just as well refrain from any suggestions in any topics at all. - Edit: You, Emuandco, apparently at least looked into it. - To reject it, of course, is fair enough.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

So far we haven't been presented with any actual arguments that would suggest this is a good idea for ReactOS. The original poster simply threw the idea out because he/she thought it seemed like an interesting idea. An interesting idea does not equate a good idea and it is ultimately up to the people who do think this is somehow a good idea to present their case. Off the top of my head I can think of multiple reasons why it's a really bad idea for ReactOS.

1) Cosmos is cheating. Last I heard, they were converting their C# code into C which then gets compiled into machine code. They weren't using a genuine AOT compiler for C#, and the only open source one I'm aware of is being worked on by the MOSA project, which is not completed.

2) One of C#'s key advantages is it's basically a gateway to access the .NET framework. When writing an OS, you can't use those features since they don't exist at such a low level. And much of C#'s syntax that helps with eliminating boilerplate code also depend on existing high level abstractions already being implemented. Again, those don't exist at the OS level.

3) Compatibility would be an absolute pain in the ass to achieve with native Windows drivers and programs. I'd hate to see what we would need to do to present a C ABI to them.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

So, if I understand correctly, your arguments basically are, to put it in a simplified manner, "Any of C#'s advantages are at a higher level, and to place them into a lower level means to negate them and just create a mess; therefore, keep it simple."

Well, not being a developer, my opinion here is irrelevant, but let me say that sounds quite plausible. Like someone saying "Let's make a house out of bubble gum" and then saying "... eh, but we will have to convert the whole bubblegum thing into concrete at some point..." - and you, if I get this right, are just saying, "we will just CONTINUE building it from concrete, like the initial plan was."

- Apart from this, i see no reason to rewrite something working into some other language just for the heck of it (besides C being more universal), but that it just my thought...
sh4ring4n

Post by sh4ring4n »

Them we would have to rewrite everything.
The cake is a lie!
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

It's illogical. If you say, that there is no reason, why ReactOS should be interested in this, why have you suggested it in the first place? Oh. I think it was about calling us ignorants...