How can I control a CD drive in assembly language?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Porterl

How can I control a CD drive in assembly language?

Post by Porterl »

Hi, I'm a teenager who's interested in computers, I'm writing an operating system in assembler, I've made a working bootloader, and got some basic graphics working, and I'm trying to read and write to CDs. I haven't yet learned the I/O ports to operate a CD drive, and I haven't yet learned enough about a CD drive to operate it from assembler. Could somebody please inform me about resources I could learn these things from?

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Re: How can I control a CD drive in assembly language?

Post by gabrielilardi »

Check the menuet32 site, it's an OS written in assembly.

rafalh
Developer

Post by rafalh »

Check http://www.osdev.org website. There are much interesting information for beginners. When I was creating my OS this website helped me much :) Also http://www.osdever.net can be interesting for you.

Porterl

Post by Porterl »

Thanks, rafalh and gabrielilardi.
I found out about bochs, which looks to be a better VM than the one I currently am using, from osdever.net, and I may be able to extract some information from it too. I found information on the ISO 9600 standard from osdev.org, so once I find out how to read a CD, I think I'll be able to extract what I want to know easily. And I forgot about MenuetOS, I'd better look into that again.

Still haven't found the information on the ports. I may be able to find them with this information, but I don't know for sure.

Porterl

Post by Porterl »

Hi, I found a book that I think will help me. Thanks again for the replies I got, they also reminded me about my previous fortune finding and reading technical books.

The book I found was Understanding the Linux Kernel.

I think that having a book explaining to me the linux kernel may allow me to find the port numbers I need, in the linux source.
I think I'd be able to find more books like these, or even more helpful books, now that I remember that books are a good source of technical information.