Making OS based on ReactOS code

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hacnix

Making OS based on ReactOS code

Post by Hacnix »

Hello everyone. I know meny have been trying to do this and failed but i would like to know if it is okay to make a free OS based on reactOS code. I would love to make this os without having to publish the sourcecode. This os will be very minimalistic nad consist only of addons. so no changes will be made ti the react os code, acturally a lot will be deleted. is this okay ???

Hacnix

Re: Making OS based on ReactOS code

Post by Hacnix »

Thank you for a fast reply. Close the topic we will not make an os based on reactOS

Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

Lone_Rifle wrote:No.
:o Really has ReactOS suddenly changed it's licensing? I find it sad when part of the team deliberately give misleading information.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@Sof_T
Really has ReactOS suddenly changed it's licensing?
Please reread the first post, especially this part:
I would love to make this os without having to publish the sourcecode.
I find it sad when part of the team deliberately give misleading information.
Sad. I find you owing Lone_Rifle an apology.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

GPL says that you have to publish the source. Additionally I wonder why you don't want to publish it if you make no changes at all...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

wojo664

Post by wojo664 »

Hacnix wrote
acturally a lot will be deleted.
Why do You want to strip down the smallest Windows-like OS ?
If You want full compability with Windows, I'd suggest leaving the code intact, or better - try to improve it, and help us , sending the patches. There are many things that may be done in here ;)
Also You can't publish a free GPL os, without making public the source code - How someone will know, that You have not implemented some super malicious Trojan Horse or Keylogger?

Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

Haos wrote:@Sof_T
Really has ReactOS suddenly changed it's licensing?
Please reread the first post, especially this part:
I would love to make this os without having to publish the sourcecode.
I find it sad when part of the team deliberately give misleading information.
Sad. I find you owing Lone_Rifle an apology.
Surely under GPL the correct answer is that changes to the source code have to be published. His addons can be closed source.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

"Addons" depending on how he created them might constitute extensions, which would fall under the GPL.

zydon

Post by zydon »

Hacnix wrote:Hello everyone. I know meny have been trying to do this and failed but i would like to know if it is okay to make a free OS based on reactOS code. I would love to make this os without having to publish the sourcecode. This os will be very minimalistic nad consist only of addons. so no changes will be made ti the react os code, acturally a lot will be deleted. is this okay ???
Why not make a 2 modules for your "OS". The fisrt one is the ReactOS minimalistic module with it's source code available for download. The second module is your addons pack or whatever you call it without the source code. So users has choice whether to download or no the addons pack.

I personally interested with the ReactOS minimalistic module and learn how you'll managed to put it up and running. I'm sure then others will interested to introduce their own version of addons pack too with or without the source code.