ReactOS 0.3.13...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

zimbra

ReactOS 0.3.13...

Post by zimbra »

Is it safe to say that there is a lot of kernel code to be written still or are the memory manager and kernel coming together mostly already?

Will ReactOS's current stability issues be abating enough soon for a 0.4.0 release to be made?

What help is needed for this to happen, what areas in the development of ReactOS are the most intractable?

Another issue, is Microsoft in fact putting code into software to detect foreign implementations of Windows? If this is true, this will affect using such applications in wine as well as ReactOS. Wine has been getting better lately, I play Warcraft II now without a copy of WIndows. If the stories of Microsoft coding against third party implementations of Windows are true, there should be legal recourse for that. This is clearly leveraging a Monopoly to reduce choice in the market place.
Sof_T

Re: ReactOS 0.3.13...

Post by Sof_T »

zimbra wrote:Another issue, is Microsoft in fact putting code into software to detect foreign implementations of Windows? If this is true, this will affect using such applications in wine as well as ReactOS. Wine has been getting better lately, I play Warcraft II now without a copy of WIndows. If the stories of Microsoft coding against third party implementations of Windows are true, there should be legal recourse for that. This is clearly leveraging a Monopoly to reduce choice in the market place.
Hardly a new Microsoft trick though it goes back almost as far as Windows http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/11/05 ... atibility/. I would imagine the European courts would show more interest in this issue than other countries might.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

When you mentioned MS playing the incompatibility card, the whole DR-DOS fiasco popped in my head. But Sof T beat it to me. Dagnabbit.

If MS does try to pull those tricks (and they already do with IE and such) it shouldn't get much farther than MS's own products. MS can't tell Blizzard to make Starcraft II have a flag for non-MS operating systems. So I wouldn't be too worried. If it runs on Wine, it should definitely run on ReactOS, at least when ReactOS isn't still in alpha.

Regarding the Memory Manager, I believe that got a rewrite not too long ago, though I can't remember for sure. I don't stalk these forums like I used to. Someone feel free to correct me.

EU courts are also a lot less friendly to multinational corporations than courts here in the US of A, so as Sof T said, that could also be a deterrent. If Wine got pissed enough and sued Microsoft over the behavior, we'd benefit too. ReactOS is too small to do such an action, but Wine has a significant chunk of the FOSS community behind it, so it could theoretically happen.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

RaptorEmperor wrote:When you mentioned MS playing the incompatibility card, the whole DR-DOS fiasco popped in my head. But Sof T beat it to me. Dagnabbit.

If MS does try to pull those tricks (and they already do with IE and such) it shouldn't get much farther than MS's own products. MS can't tell Blizzard to make Starcraft II have a flag for non-MS operating systems. So I wouldn't be too worried. If it runs on Wine, it should definitely run on ReactOS, at least when ReactOS isn't still in alpha.

Regarding the Memory Manager, I believe that got a rewrite not too long ago, though I can't remember for sure. I don't stalk these forums like I used to. Someone feel free to correct me.

EU courts are also a lot less friendly to multinational corporations than courts here in the US of A, so as Sof T said, that could also be a deterrent. If Wine got pissed enough and sued Microsoft over the behavior, we'd benefit too. ReactOS is too small to do such an action, but Wine has a significant chunk of the FOSS community behind it, so it could theoretically happen.
You're right, the memory and the heap manager had been rewritten some months ago.
greenie

Post by greenie »

Microsoft has already written code once to detect if Microsoft office was running on wine. Though i believe it was fixed(though no doubt they will just try something else).
Though IE and Microsoft office I honestly don't see stopping ReactOS.
As there are alternatives, that are not as over priced. If reactos becomes usable. It will crush windows very quickly.
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

Unfortunately, I think that Microsoft can freely make *their* products unusable on your operating system, if they say so in the requirements (which they do). What they can not do is force other companies to do so.
steveh

Post by steveh »

Who the heck would be mourning uninstallable/unfunctional IE on Reactos?

Of course IE would be funny, but as long as their are other browsers, fairly better than IE8, it is not really necessary. :D
And i think FF4, once rolled out in it's final version, will be better than IE9.

As for MSOffice, it's not a freeware product.
Given it's price, i think it's not a real competitor against libreoffice.
Even professional users, who in these economically difficult times have to think twice about each dollar or Euro for investment, should consider the free libreoffice, and give their money for other investments, more useful for their business than an expensive commercial software, which can be substituted by a free alternative.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

jorl17 wrote:Unfortunately, I think that Microsoft can freely make *their* products unusable on your operating system, if they say so in the requirements (which they do). What they can not do is force other companies to do so.
Some EULAs has been declared abusive, so "saying something in the requirements" doesn't mean it is legal at all.
Evenmore, forcing to run an app as Microsoft Office on Windows (and just in Windows) could be understood as a monopolitic movement.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

steveh wrote:As for MSOffice, it's not a freeware product.
Just write that shortcut as "MS", there is a reason that forum doesn't allow you to write it with $ sign. And the reason is we don't call MS names ;)
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

vicmarcal wrote:
jorl17 wrote:Unfortunately, I think that Microsoft can freely make *their* products unusable on your operating system, if they say so in the requirements (which they do). What they can not do is force other companies to do so.
Some EULAs has been declared abusive, so "saying something in the requirements" doesn't mean it is legal at all.
Evenmore, forcing to run an app as Microsoft Office on Windows (and just in Windows) could be understood as a monopolitic movement.
Which I don't agree with, even though I have a great hatred for Microsoft. I think they are in the right to do whatever they want to with their products, as long as it doesn't damage World Safety. But who cares about what I think? -- What's important is that they get what they deserve. I find that what they do is wrong, but I don't see a logical error in it -- it's right from a legal/freedom point of view, IMO, but not right from an ethical point of view.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

jorl17 wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:
Which I don't agree with, even though I have a great hatred for Microsoft. I think they are in the right to do whatever they want to with their products, as long as it doesn't damage World Safety. But who cares about what I think? -- What's important is that they get what they deserve. I find that what they do is wrong, but I don't see a logical error in it -- it's right from a legal/freedom point of view, IMO, but not right from an ethical point of view.
From an ethical point of view, they must make it public (at least) and not only something you see when installing (with make public I mean, something you can read before buying, and which is easy to find), because they don't usually give your money back if you find the EULA does not allow you to use it.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Well, that's not problem of Microsoft, but of retailers (MS allows refund in EULA).
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

Black_Fox wrote:Well, that's not problem of Microsoft, but of retailers (MS allows refund in EULA).
Haha, of course it does!