We choose to go to ReactOS 1.0

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

encoded

We choose to go to ReactOS 1.0

Post by encoded »

We choose to go to ReactOS 1.0 in this decade and do the other things, not because
they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and
measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are
willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.

We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new
rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For
computer science, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its
own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man, and only if the
ReactOS Foundation occupies a position of pre-eminence can we help decide whether this
new ocean will be a sea of peace or a new terrifying theater of war.

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount
Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."

Well, Windows is there, and we're going to climb it, and Linux and Mac are
there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail
we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on
which man has ever embarked.

-JFK
Delivered at Rice University in Houston, Texas on 12 September 1962. (excerpt, updated for reactos ;) )
Angelus

Re: We choose to go to ReactOS 1.0

Post by Angelus »

Amen.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

Well, if it takes us until 2019, then it will only have taken us 23 years to hit 1.0. What's even more sad is that a year later Microsoft will still be supporting an OS it released in 2001. Anyone know how long they're supporting IE6? lol

...And when that day comes, and I burn that 1.0 disk...

"That's a few small steps on a CD burner, one giant leap for open-soource software."

Of course, when I do this, NASA will still probably be trying to find out how to get back to the Moon to pull off what they did half a century ago. :P
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

All we can do at this moment, so the ReactOS was finished earlier... We must create a temporal shift :P
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

RaptorEmperor wrote:Well, if it takes us until 2019, then it will only have taken us 23 years to hit 1.0. What's even more sad is that a year later Microsoft will still be supporting an OS it released in 2001. Anyone know how long they're supporting IE6? lol

...And when that day comes, and I burn that 1.0 disk...

"That's a few small steps on a CD burner, one giant leap for open-soource software."

Of course, when I do this, NASA will still probably be trying to find out how to get back to the Moon to pull off what they did half a century ago. :P
I guess in some ways, burning that disk will be like the feminists who allegedly burned their bras. I mean that in the sense of freedom. Of course, for us, the freedom would be from Microsoft rather than from patriarchy.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Check your indentation. Tm. :3
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
encoded

Post by encoded »

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I remember it well, I was there, at least on telly... :)
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Could someone explain me why this OOOOOOLD thread was resurrected?!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I don't know!