visual programming

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

dark

visual programming

Post by dark »

I've read many tutorials on how to program in language (whatever) but they all stop short of doing anything beyond text, could someone recomend a tutorial on how to start doing graphical things (something that at least tells me how to make a window come up when you click on it) in python or C/C++ (preferably python since i know more of it).
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

python is primeraly a scripting lanuage and is not ideal for GUI programming, although it can be done with something like QT or WXWindows.

If you want GUI programming in C, you want to get your hands on a copy of Programming Windows, by Charles Petzold.

*edit, here is something to get you started. This is the sort of thing Petzolds book shows you, but not as detailed.
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

What OS / development environment you using?
dark

Post by dark »

windows XP/Redhat WS, python (C only confuses me more every time i look at it, i like the simplicity of python) i did find some tutorials for Tkinter but i think i'm going to have to look for a module for creating 3d games (and i don't really understand modules). for now the Tkinter tutorials are ok.
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

The C lanuage itself is an easy lanuage to learn. It's a very small lanuage, having few keywords and features.

The difficult bit is having to code everything yourself, due to it's low level nature. This requires a deeper understanding of how computers work than what something like python requires.

Don't be put off by C, it's no where near as complex as C++
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

dark wrote:windows XP/Redhat WS, (C only confuses me more every time i look at it, i like the simplicity of python) i did find some tutorials for Tkinter but i think i'm going to have to look for a module for creating 3d games (and i don't really understand modules). for now the Tkinter tutorials are ok.
I would not create use python for creating 3d games, it's way too slow.

My suggestion for you is to buy a good C/C++ book or to go to your local libary and look if you can get one there.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?