JolieCloud Installer and ReactOS .ISO?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomleem

JolieCloud Installer and ReactOS .ISO?

Post by tomleem » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:25 pm

I read about JoliCloud. http://www.jolicloud.com It has an installer that takes the .iso and puts it on an USB flash drive. Could one use this program to install the ReactOS onto an USB flash drive? :?:
If it did work, could ReactOS be installed from it? :?: Could one run the 'live' version from it? :?:

Inquiring minds want to know. :geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

hefner

Re: JolieCloud Installer and ReactOS .ISO?

Post by hefner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Nope , ROS has no USB(-Harddisk) support (yet)....

And:

JolieCloud is Linux ... nothing more.
We have mixed a super-optimized Linux* that makes the most of your netbook hardware, battery, graphics and connectivity with a cool interface that will make your life easier.

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:19 pm

This is just a Linux distro for netbooks.

jgwright

Post by jgwright » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:23 am

Back on topic ...

Using a tool to transfer an iso to a USB stick for running live or to install in place of a CD has been de rigeur in the Linux world (and with BSD) for several years now. (I'm ignoring the "install the ReactOS onto ..." part of the post as that's a whole different thing.) Lately Unetbootin has brought it to the masses and Pendrivelinux has been collecting various hacks for several years. Ubuntu and Fedora have had their own tools for longer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNetbootin
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

These tools transfer the *contents* of the iso to the USB stick. There are tools that allow you to put several iso files themselves on your stick and choose which one you want to boot from. They don't have to be Linux (or BSD). Lately boot managers have been getting rather special - see grub4dos, gujin, plop. You can hack together Hiren, BartPE and UBCD flavours along with Gparted, SysrescueCD, and even Ubuntu etc all on the same USB stick.

Once USB is sorted the we should look forward to adding ReactOS to the above mix. The ability to start the install from 'live' mode would be nice too:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/First_Stage_GUI_Setup

tomleem

Post by tomleem » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Thank you for the replies and information. It is both appreciated and informative. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:51 am

Just for the feedback, I tried that (booting from pendrive) some time ago, maybe a month or two, it didn't work...

tomleem

Post by tomleem » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:27 pm

I tried the Jolicloud program that takes an .iso and puts it on an USB drive. I tried to use it with the ROS .iso file. It would not do it indicating it is not a 'hybrid iso'. :o I tried it and I know it does not work. Even if it did not boot from the flash drive, it would have been neat if it did install the ROS .iso to the flash drive. :geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy