The community is targeting nute.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

hamburger

The community is targeting nute.

Post by hamburger »

What happens when you don't give someone the benefit of the doubt? Everything that person says is wrong, period. That is what happened in nute's private playground. Saying Linux is crap or that Windows is better is ridiculous. If the rules are, you praise ReactOS regardless of any faults or the possibility of ReactOS being totally impractical, then those rules should be amended.
If Nute's Private Playground is a prime example of nute cursing developers, I didn't see that anywhere in there. As far as private email from nute cursing developers, I don't think anyone including nute right now can check on that and nute certainly cannot be expected to apologize if this is the case. The administrators of this site can see if there is any cursing or swearing
and find a way to bring it up with nute privately. Is that too much to ask?

Why would nute use derogatory language? What purpose does he/she have to talk on the Net in a way that could look bad to potential employers? Nute may have gotten angry at times and maybe he even said some things he shouldn't have like the project is dying, but I see no evidence of cursing let alone swearing.

Beyond Z98's newletters, which are sparse I must say, there is little easily accessible information on the status of the project. Reading SVN logs which are short comments from the developers on what they have just finished work on are not likely to tell you much. The roadmap is practically empty, there isn't even a disclaimer like, "Our best guess is that we will release based on these goals." For the most part, you click on a release that hasn't come out yet and there is no information at all. There seems to be little will to put out information beyond hey here is a screenshot of ReactOS running this program or that program. There should be nothing wrong with turning the roadmap into a this is what we hope will happen at this very moment. The conversation that leads to a new release or postponing a new release is by and large a private conversation as far as I can tell. This project is 12 years in the making. Granted, one can say that there are fewer developers for ReactOS than what is needed and predict mathematically and statistically that this will result in a multiplication of the total development time. Time wise, it won't take as long to get familiar with a stable open source operating system. There isn't a stable open source implementation of Windows NT yet. At the rate this project appears to be moving forward, there possibly never will be an open source version of Windows NT worth mentioning. Maybe, just maybe, there doesn't need to be. If the latter is the case, that is probably why there aren't enough developers for ReactOS.

One of the reasons why computer security is such a lucrative field is that too many computers run the same OS and have the same weaknesses. In a more competitive world, this wouldn't be a
problem. Perhaps monolithic kernels would go away in favor of a newer approach. New operating systems will hopefully exhibit fewer weaknesses or at least different weaknesses.

Maybe a better approach to open source operating systems is to ignore past designs except for where they were weak and make new better designs. To what degree attempting to be binary and driver level compatible with a closed source operating system can an open source operating system be better than the closed source inspiration? Don't tell me that there are no faults in the design of WIndows NT. Windows wanting to be the only OS or the first OS is a design fault in an era when operating systems need to be installable next to other operating systems.

When has nute been discriminatory? When has nute gotten a response of burn in hell that he responded to in kind? Supposedly this is the way nute has behaved, but from what I can tell this is not true at all. Nute has been negative perhaps, but I see no evidence that nute has ever been discriminatory in any way.

I think other posters have been banned from the forums, not just nute. In the case of those other people, they apparently used derogatory language. This suggests to me that there may be a deeper problem than how nute is behaving. What prompts different people who have access to these forums to be inappropriate? I doubt very much that nute and these other people who have been banned talk to each other or know each other at all. I was on the reactos channel and frankly I was aghast at the way supposed developers and other people were behaving. Probing a man
for his religious beliefs to make comments that are likely to insult him deeply is totally unacceptable behavior, especially from a developer/moderator. This kind of behavior is unprofessional.

I am also nute if you haven't figured that out already. I was on the reactos channel to try and find out why I'm in so much trouble on these forums and possibly do some damage control. Instead, I found myself in a defensive position with no means of making any positive progress. Whether it is religion, politics, and there is something else one can talk about that never seems to go well
online, I couldn't keep the conversation on what I had supposedly done that was so terrible. Creating a post meant to insult me called Nute's Private Playground, why won't the moderator who did that apologize? Z98 got upset with that thread, he should have deleted the thread.

I apologize for being negative about the ReactOS project in general. At the same time though, I find having any confidence in this project a challenge when people say fuck or other similar colorful acronyms. I find it difficult to have any confidence in ReactOS when people declare that they are atheists or darwinists and proceed to attack religiosity. I find the I'll hit you with a sledge hammer EdmuandCo signature threatening and inappropriate. I have a transcript of what was said on the reactos channel over the course of an hour or two to show people who are curious why they should stay away from this community and if at all possible mirror the source to start a new project with a new leader. Sadly, there have been a number of open source efforts to replace Windows that have failed. It is sad but true that 80% of all software projects roughly fail. An open source project to succeed needs interested talented people who have time to work on it. If all you have to work on ReactOS is 5 hours a week and you are the only person for the part you are working on, that is not good. If developers don't have time to work on ReactOS but they find the time to spend an hour or two on IRC chat to attack a total stranger, that is highly suspect. The priorities are set wrong if you can find time as a developer to attack a total stranger through IRC or these forums. No I can't force the developers to work on ReactOS and no I can't force them to accomplish anything let alone accomplish that by a certain date. Hopefully, I can recommend that developers find time to work on ReactOS and I can also hopefully recommend that they refrain from personally attacking anyone on IRC or these forums.

I chose to go around the 7 day blackout that doesn't allow me to start any new threads let alone add to any existing threads obviously. I chose to do this late at night for obvious reasons. I hope something good will come of this, but maybe that is too much to hope for.

Unless I am specifically told in an official capacity that my transcript of the reactos channel is unlawful or things get better, I won't take it down. I intend if at all possible to warn potential future users of the reactos channel and reactos forum that they could be treated terribly. I think the transcript is rather damning of certain individuals, whoever those people really are
behind the nicknames. Like I say, if things get better I will take the transcript down regardless of whether or not I am asked to.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re: The community is targeting nute.

Post by Lone_Rifle »

[]
Last edited by Lone_Rifle on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jgwright

Post by jgwright »

I was hoping for one minute that nute had been banned however I guess this one-post-wonder is just a device to get around nute being prohibited from starting new threads.

So, nute, a few people that have their usernames appear in various colours on this forum behave towards you in a slightly terrible fashion. They should have refrained: unfortunately bad behaviour begets bad behaviour. It's a case of escalation - all too easy on the internet - people abuse the anonymity and the physical separation. I assume if you and the various protagonists met at a conference you'd all behave fantastically toward each other.

Now to your incessant carping about bad language. You started it when you went completely ballistic about someone using the word 'damn'. It was weak and immature and intolerant of you to do so. You say someone used the word 'fuck'. I never saw it. But you complain about a 'friendly' word like 'damn' - and generally troll and behave terribly - then yes, you'll see someescalation.

Nute's private playgorund was something of a mistake - although not dreadfully so - and as much was made clear by one of the more grounded contributors here. Take satisfaction from that and don't carp on about it. Don't be immature.

Oh: If the developers said you sent PMs or private emails cursing them or abusing them the you sent developers PMs or private emails cursing them or abusing them. Case closed. Behave so stubbornly, so persistently and you lose the 'benefit of the doubt'.

I have my misgivings about the roadmap, about the openness of the project, about the provision of information about progress, status etc. My posts could be construed as criticial. So for me to absolutely lose sympathy with you nute, it's rather unfortunate, you're just a dickhead. Obviously young, obviously lacking real-world stimuli, obviously few friends, obviously wanting to be some kind of hero or martyr but without the wholesome attributes that allow you to actually produce something or make a positive impact.

And why does it come to this? Why when I go to sleep do I see a thread that is looking warm and positive (albeit a tad off-topic) and I wake up and there's a whole page of invective from guys with different-coloured usernames - some posts ever-so-carefully worked on with a dozen sections of quoted text and careful rebuttals. Yes, it's because nute waded into the topic. But that shouldn't result in the avalanche. It seems like the different-coloured-username guys are just as much trolls as nute and they should practice self-censorship in place of the dozens-of-times repeated calls for the censorship of nute.

Screaming that the troll be silenced, all the time feeding him like he's at a buffet in troll-heaven!
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

[]
Last edited by Lone_Rifle on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Last edited by Lone_Rifle on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@hamburger

Please always mind that this is a hobby project, that we work on in our free time. Probably we are not up to your ideal project communitty. Please always mind that we are here not to work, but have fun.

Log from your last IRC conversation on IRC made apparent, that you are treating every issue here very personally, with every issue being a personal attack on you. This is not true. No one is targetting you, nor is trying to make your stay here miserable. If you find hard to believe that we dont really mean attacking/outcasting/targetting you, please consider a possibility that we are most often too busy for such counterproductive actions. Things you perceive as personal attacks are merely just reactions on how you and your actions/posts are perceived here.

I personally have no problem with you being negative about this project, its your right to be so. It never barred me from answering your questions, no matter if both questions and answers repeat. On the other hand you must be aware that this will end up with "try to do it yourself"/"its my hobby, i have right to do what i want" arguments from my side. Its a simple action/reaction thing.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We are well beyond the point of being civil with him if we ever met him in real life. Topic locked.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

So for me to absolutely lose sympathy with you nute, it's rather unfortunate, you're just a dickhead. Obviously young, obviously lacking real-world stimuli, obviously few friends, obviously wanting to be some kind of hero or martyr but without the wholesome attributes that allow you to actually produce something or make a positive impact.

And why does it come to this? Why when I go to sleep do I see a thread that is looking warm and positive (albeit a tad off-topic) and I wake up and there's a whole page of invective from guys with different-coloured usernames - some posts ever-so-carefully worked on with a dozen sections of quoted text and careful rebuttals. Yes, it's because nute waded into the topic. But that shouldn't result in the avalanche. It seems like the different-coloured-username guys are just as much trolls as nute and they should practice self-censorship in place of the dozens-of-times repeated calls for the censorship of nute.

Screaming that the troll be silenced, all the time feeding him like he's at a buffet in troll-heaven!
I find your words too agressive to nute...
In the other hand, I don't see it like trolling, I thought it was constructive critics (from nute, and from everyone else, some exceptions) with awful manners...